PDA

View Full Version : "We're sinking, sir!"

Safe-Keeper
12-11-06, 07:35 PM
Is it just me, or does anyone else, read all of you, experienced suddenly finding himself at 100+ metres depth because flooding was pulling the boat down without you realizing it? Personally, I'd like it if there was a message from an officer (Chief Engineer?) going "We're sinking, sir!" or "Flooding is pulling the boat down, sir!" to alert me to the fact that the boat is starting to descend.

d@rk51d3
12-11-06, 09:03 PM
Yeah, theres nothing worse than putting the scope up, to see nothing but water. :nope:

Then you glance at the depth meter and realise you're about to crush.:damn:

bookworm_020
12-11-06, 11:45 PM
When your busy trying to get repair work done, or avoiding the killer blow from the enemy, it would be nice to know when your about to be crushed paper thin!!:up:

Safe-Keeper
12-12-06, 12:26 AM
Well, they tell you that, by informing you that you're "diving too deep".

"Oh, and skipper, you know how the boat is sinking due to the flooding, even though no one's bothered to inform you? Well, now we're five seconds away from crush depth. Just thought you'd like to know":damn:.

You gotta admit, they've got a certain charm;).

Another nice feature for the "Easy" difficulty level would be for the game to tell you what your crush depth was at any given time. Like, "U-538 Type VII-C
Hull Integrity: 46%
Crush Depth: 95 m"

HanSolo78
12-12-06, 06:16 AM
Is it just me, or does anyone else, read all of you, experienced suddenly finding himself at 100+ metres depth because flooding was pulling the boat down without you realizing it? Personally, I'd like it if there was a message from an officer (Chief Engineer?) going "We're sinking, sir!" or "Flooding is pulling the boat down, sir!" to alert me to the fact that the boat is starting to descend.

Actually I´ve done this already in SH3! ;)
I combined a message from "Das Boot" if the depth of 160 Meters is reached... then a sound comes up.. " 160 Meter... Boot ist nicht mehr zu halten Kaleun" which means.. " sir u-boat at 160 metres... we are not able to maintain depth" or something similar to english.
At the moment I only hav the german sound from "Das Boot"!

stabiz
12-12-06, 08:26 AM
Gimme, hansolo!

The Noob
12-12-06, 08:45 AM
Me wants! ME WANTS!

plz? :lol:

Schatten
12-12-06, 09:33 AM
Well, they tell you that, by informing you that you're "diving too deep".

"Oh, and skipper, you know how the boat is sinking due to the flooding, even though no one's bothered to inform you? Well, now we're five seconds away from crush depth. Just thought you'd like to know":damn:.

You gotta admit, they've got a certain charm;).

It does have a certain sadistic charm indeed. :rotfl::rotfl:

Sometimes I think my boat is completely crewed by Steven Wright clones. Either that or the Engineer from "Galaxy Quest."

JU_88
12-12-06, 03:16 PM
This brings me back to my rant on lack of fog warnings!! when the watch cant see where the hell they are going (due to poor weather conditions,) it would be very helpful to hear a "visibility - nil / poor - sir" from one of there filthy cake holes. :D
What im saying is - we should be automatically be notified about changes in the weather rather than have to ask for it.

bigboywooly
12-12-06, 03:40 PM
Well in the Sound folder are the Speech folder
In those are the following

ChE_P_We_have_to_surface_sir

NaO_S_The_weather_is_changing_for_the_worse

NaO_P_The_weather_is_improving

But there are no entries in the cfg for those officers to use those commands

I wonder if they were in the original cfg before the patch

Perhaps someone who is planning a fresh install for GWX can check the message cfg's in C:\Program Files\Ubisoft\SilentHunterIII\data\Cfg before adding the 1.4b patch

Be interesting to see

Schatten
12-12-06, 05:52 PM
I'm guessing that the actual soundwork (recording) was done, but they ran out of time before they could implement the triggers and the like for the sounds and they were simply left in the install even though there's no reason, aside from taunting us, for being in there.

NoLine
12-12-06, 06:16 PM
watch here (http://video.google.nl/videoplay?docid=7938110513012758880) what germans think about sinking :lol:

cheers
NoLine

Safe-Keeper
12-12-06, 07:23 PM
If all this is implemented for Silent Hunter 4...

What I'd also like is some more battle reports, like reports when ships retreat, when other ships go down than the ones you sink, and so on. It'd be interesting to hear someone go "she's breaking off, captain!", followed by a cheer, when you damage a DD enough to drive her off.

Imagine if an airplane attacked you, dropped her bombs, and headed off, and you heard a remark of "airplane is disengaging, captain" or something.

In short, the more "hand-holding" in terms of messages or even dialogue boxes, the better.

Schatten
12-13-06, 11:57 AM
I agree, all of that would be very nice to have Safe-Keeper. I wouldn't even regard it as the program holding my hand, but moreso as having a crew that actually went through some training aside from Staring at Seascapes 101.