PDA

View Full Version : I can't wait

BH
11-27-06, 10:40 PM
I am really looking forward to the release of SH4. I check this site at least once a day, just to see if there is any new information or if there is an announcement about a release date. I guess I was in the minority wishing for a return to the pacific. The American submarine force was so effective in cutting off the supplies of the Imperial Army. Its interesting to note how many Allied troop lives were saved by the Japanese running out of ammo. Some of their famous suicide charges were due more to the fact that they were out of ammo. This can be directly attributed to the American submarine force cutting supplies to the Japanese Army.

bookworm_020
11-27-06, 11:14 PM
Remember airpower also played it's part, land based strikes against outposts and supply lines, or B-29 raids on Japan, they sowed thousands of mines which brought coastal shipping to a halt (It also made 1945 a year of slim pickings for U.S. Subs, as there weren't many targets left!).

Carrier based strikes also hit how as they helped strip away the naval and air protection given to merchant vessals (in whatever form it took), to the point where they were sailing within sight of Japan.

Can't wait for SHIV as it's been years since I played in the pacific (I missed out on the original Silent Hunter):up:

AVGWarhawk
11-29-06, 02:44 PM
Definitely a team effort. Without any one of the branchs of military present what was accomplished would have taken longer.

Anyway, I'm waiting on the game with baited breath. I love SH3 but would really like to skipper the submarines now. Besides, I think the developers have listened to what was said about SH3, both good and bad, and will send SH4 out without bugs etc.:up:

BH
11-29-06, 10:03 PM
Anyway, I'm waiting on the game with baited breath. I love SH3 but would really like to skipper the submarines now. Besides, I think the developers have listened to what was said about SH3, both good and bad, and will send SH4 out without bugs etc.:up:

You know I really did not fully enjoy SH3 untill the gw mod. The game seem much more alive after playing with that mod. It was all the little things that developers missed or were short in time, but really added to the game. I hope the developers took note of the the excellent work on the mods and incorporate those details in the game.

_Seth_
11-29-06, 10:28 PM
You know I really did not fully enjoy SH3 untill the gw mod. The game seem much more alive after playing with that mod. It was all the little things that developers missed or were short in time, but really added to the game. I hope the developers took note of the the excellent work on the mods and incorporate those details in the game.

Im sure they do! If they dont, it will be like learning a language by reading a book, instead of talking to people.... (Ops, my philosophical side just appeared...:yep:)

TDK1044
11-30-06, 08:43 AM
I think in SH3, too many decisions were made too late into the development of the game and there was then no time to beta test the game prior to release. I believe that SH4 will be much healthier at its release.

What I would also say though is that there is a subjective element to 'modding'. As a game developer you work to a production schedule, and you can't please all the people all the time, however hard you try. Having said that, modders should not be put in a position of trying to fix fundemental flaws in a game, but rather subjectively enhance a game which already works as it was designed to do.

_Seth_
11-30-06, 08:54 AM
I think in SH3, too many decisions were made too late into the development of the game and there was then no time to beta test the game prior to release. I believe that SH4 will be much healthier at its release.

What I would also say though is that there is a subjective element to 'modding'. As a game developer you work to a production schedule, and you can't please all the people all the time, however hard you try. Having said that, modders should not be put in a position of trying to fix fundemental flaws in a game, but rather subjectively enhance a game which already works as it was designed to do.

I agree, and there is also an economical issue concerning the game developers work on the project. But the freeware modders often changes 90 % of the game, because of the issues related to the early-development process, and that is IMHO not bad at all.
SHIII had IE the "radio-message with new patrol grid" flaw, and many other things the devs didnt sort out, but as TDK1044 says, i also believes SHIV will be way better than SHIII was when it was released.:up: