PDA

View Full Version : Biggest US Sub?

AJ!
11-21-06, 04:08 PM
Hi

What was the biggest US submarine of the war?

Bungo_Pete
11-21-06, 04:17 PM
The argonaut I beleive.Sunk in 42 I believe.http://www.csp.navy.mil/ww2boats/argonaut.htm

http://www.fleetsubmarine.com/ss-166.html. yup

AG124
11-21-06, 04:46 PM
Yes, in terms of tonnage and length, the USS Argonaut (SS 166) was the largest US sub of WWII, although the Narwhal class (Narwhal and Nautilus) was only slightly smaller. The Argonaut was indeed sunk (but in 1943, not 1942 I think) - the Narwhal (SS 167) and Nautilus (SS 168) survived the war and were scrapped soon after. None of these three subs will be included in SHIV.

fire-fox
11-21-06, 06:08 PM
poop, i like the Narwhals.

AG124
11-21-06, 09:06 PM
In SHI, the Narwhal class was included.:yep: Not the Argonaut though, but I guess thay couldn't include everything. In SHIV, though, we are going to get a very small selection of subs - at least they are all important ones. No S-Class though.:nope: Not that I would ever use them...

_Seth_
11-21-06, 10:09 PM
Is there any SHIV dev. explanation why there wont be any s-class? I think they should be included, due to the historical issue...

Something like this would be cool in SHIV:
http://sub-log.com/us_subs_in_the_aleutians_in_wwii

TheSatyr
11-22-06, 04:28 AM
I can understand why the S-Class wasn't included. For one thing,it wasn't really an S "class". Different S-Boats had different designs. Some series builds had just 4 bow torp tubes,some had 4 bow 1 stern,Some S boat designs were faster on the surface than others...some were faster underwater than others. And the various designs had different crew complements. It's more S classes than S class. And different S-classes also came in different sizes.

Bottom line...it would be difficult to add S-boats since they would have to choose which class of S-boat would be the most representative of that type of sub. (The one in SH1 was just a generic S type...for SH4 they would need to use a real class of S-boats..).

And when you get right down to it,not all the S type subs that saw action in WW2 were of the same design...so again...makes it hard to pick which one to use.

AG124
11-22-06, 06:42 AM
The different variants wouldn't be an issue, as multiple variants of the four others will actually be included.:huh:

I think it was implied that there would only be time to do four US subs, and that the Dev team believed that they had chosen the four most important ones. BTW, those are the:

P Class
Tambor Class
Salmon Class
Gato Class

(Each with several variants).

AJ!
11-22-06, 02:33 PM
Ah thanks

I always thought the Pacific sub war was pritty low key as far as submarine designs went compaired to german and british designs but it seems japan had the best sub of the war :o

Sen Toku I-400 class was the biggest submarine in the world until the super subs of the cold war. The thing was practicaly a aircraft carrier that could submerge as it carried about 3 bomber planes on board

I always new they had the most powerful battleship of the war (Yamato class) but i didnt realise they had the best sub too

_Seth_
11-22-06, 03:39 PM
Ah thanks

I always thought the Pacific sub war was pritty low key as far as submarine designs went compaired to german and british designs but it seems japan had the best sub of the war :o

Sen Toku I-400 class was the biggest submarine in the world until the super subs of the cold war. The thing was practicaly a aircraft carrier that could submerge as it carried about 3 bomber planes on board

I always new they had the most powerful battleship of the war (Yamato class) but i didnt realise they had the best sub too

Last i heard was that the SHIV dev. team wouldnt include that japanese sub-carrier, or any other japanese submarine... Is that still the truth, or......:hmm:

AJ!
11-22-06, 04:01 PM
That would be interesting :)

I sleep easy at night knowing the yamato is in SH4 :D

AG124
11-22-06, 04:05 PM
The last report from the SHIV dev team said that there would be no Japanese AI subs in SHIV, and as far as I know, that hasn't changed.:nope:

_Seth_
11-22-06, 04:22 PM
The last report from the SHIV dev team said that there would be no Japanese AI subs in SHIV, and as far as I know, that hasn't changed.:nope:

Well, maybe some excellent modder could blow the dust of their 3D-kits and start working on something.... I pretty sure that the freeware modders here in this community could do the same job as the SHIV devs, or even better..:up:

AG124
11-22-06, 06:40 PM
If the dev team included AI US subs, it probably wouldn't be much of a problem for modders to add Japanese AI subs later. However, without this feature, and without a SDK, I imagine we would end up where we are now with SHIII. We will have to wait and hear more from the dev team.

cmdrk
11-24-06, 11:51 AM
Just a bit of trivia.

Richard O'Kane made a war patrol on the Argonaut - it was lost.
Richard O'Kane made war patrols on the Wahoo - it was lost.
Richard O'Kane made war patrols on the Tang - it was lost.

He must have lost a lot of friends during the war.