PDA

View Full Version : Recommended reading in anticipation of SH IV

mookiemookie
11-17-06, 09:03 PM
I loved SH3, and I own and have read Iron Coffins, the U-boat Commander's Handbook, Operation Drumbeat and Hitler's U-boat War (both volumes). Those books were great for getting a feel for the U-boat side of things in the war and what those sailors experiences were.

My question now is what books are good to read in order to get a feel for US submarine operations in the Pacific? I don't know much about it, as I've always been a fan of the European theatre when it comes to WW2 history. Any recommendations on a good place to start?

AirborneTD
11-17-06, 09:40 PM
My favorite (which I read over the summer) is "Silent Victory" by Clay Blair.
It covers the entire US sub campaign against Imperial Japan. Excellent read. It covers in text and appendices just about every US sub patrol sent out. I wouldn't doubt it may be too tedious for some, but I found it facinating.

panthercules
11-22-06, 09:15 PM
I'm gearing up for this myself - just won a copy of this on eBay:

UNITED STATES SUBMARINE OPERATIONS IN WORLD WAR II by Theodore Roscoe. It was published in 1954 by THE UNITED STATES NAVAL INSTITUTE Annapolis, Maryland. This book was prepared by Theodore Roscoe for the Bureau of Naval Personnel from official records, patrol reports, and material assembled by Submarine Force historians under the supervision of Rear Admiral R. G. Voge, U.S.Navy. It has 577 pages with over 200 photos, diagrams, maps, battle charts, etc.

I'm hoping it lives up to the hype - can't wait till it gets here so I can get started :)

bookworm_020
11-22-06, 09:24 PM
Clear the Bridge by Dick O'kane

Tells the story of the U.S.S. Tang by the man who captained her from launch to destruction. Tang is ranked as one of the most successful boats in the Pacific.

Skorn
11-23-06, 02:39 PM
Heh, just finishing up the last couple chaptes of that book right now. Definately a good read!

bookworm_020
11-23-06, 05:51 PM
"Take her deep" by I. J. Galantin is also a good read if you want to know what it's like to be at the wrong end of a Japanese depth charge. His boat, the U.S.S. Halibut survived the worst depthcharge given to a boat that made it back to base. The Hull was buckled in from the force of the explosions!:o

AG124
11-23-06, 09:54 PM
Check out this thread - I think there are some good recommendations here, including ones that I made.:hmm:

http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=100931