PDA

View Full Version : Nukes - Defcon

porphy
09-15-06, 12:08 PM
Hi

Anyone interested in the new game Defcon from the makers of Uplink and Darwinia? IGN seems to like it. Got to like the layout and grand style strategy theme. Still they don't say if you acctually can win this game... :hmm: If you missed the ICBM in DW or SC, now you can have the full galore...!

http://pc.ign.com/articles/732/732711p1.html

Cheers Porphy

Oberon
09-15-06, 12:13 PM
"Would you like to play a game of global thermonuclear war...?"
http://www.imsai.net/images/war_image/wargames_promo_crop.jpg

Needless to say, this will be one I'm getting :up:

jumpy
09-16-06, 08:53 PM
I like the looks of this :rock: seems more like what I wanted to get out of Hearts of Iron II: Doomsday...
Friday 29th September 2006, at 6.00pm GMT
Apparently it will only cost a tenner?? :up:

porphy
09-20-06, 06:42 AM
Ordered the game today. 9 days left and then the real countdown starts... Time to dig that shelter in your garden... :cool: Good thing that part is covered in the manual.

Cheers Porphy

Pants
09-20-06, 07:30 AM
just aslong as you guys dont accidently hack into WOPR :up:

Rhodes
09-20-06, 01:11 PM
just aslong as you guys dont accidently hack into WOPR :up:

eheheheh, and if "joshua" call them by telephone?...

SUBMAN1
09-20-06, 02:02 PM
Coool! A remake of an older game with some updates! I like it. I played the old one to death. Getting 30 mil casualties from a single nuke was always satisfying! :p

-S

SUBMAN1
09-20-06, 04:00 PM
Nuclear War should keep you entertained while you wait for your game:

http://hem.passagen.se/backmask/download210.html

kiwi_2005
09-21-06, 06:52 AM
I loved Uplink.:rock:I

RedMenace
09-25-06, 09:56 AM
Already preordered, no Ruskie can pass up a game of nuclear warfare!:()1:

porphy
09-25-06, 11:31 AM
Alert! We are at defcon 5 .... Defcon 4 in 6 hours. :cool:

Cheers Porphy

RedMenace
09-25-06, 01:22 PM
Hey, when the games out, porphy, ya wanna play a game of "first-hand nuclear proliferation"?:lol:

Camaero
10-02-06, 03:51 AM
I downloaded the demo today and am lovin it! This game is pretty cool. I pounded the ruskies twice now and only lost the American west coast and the east coast. :roll:

I like it. I will probably end up buying it. It is a great demo though for anyone thinking about it. You have the full game to play around with minus a few game play options. (Only 2 players at a time online in the demo.)

Paajtor
10-02-06, 09:59 AM
I'm downloading the demo...maybe gonna give it a go this evening.:D

Btw, the game has a "office-mode"....:lol:

Oberon
10-03-06, 09:50 AM
It's the end of the world as we know it!

http://img365.imageshack.us/img365/8302/launch2fc1.jpg

And I feel slightly irradiated... :doh:

Rhodes
10-03-06, 10:14 AM

- "And I feel slightly irradiated... :doh:" - eheheheheheh :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

Onkel Neal
10-04-06, 10:16 PM
John Channing turned me on to this game, it's pretty cool.

RedMenace
10-06-06, 10:10 AM
Mmmmhmmmm this game is DAMN good.:up:

The Noob
10-06-06, 01:30 PM
Can you also play the Ruskies? No? :hmm:

Cool Anyway. *Loads Demo*

I'm gonna look out for this...*Presses the Big Red Button* :up::rotfl:

Wim Libaers
10-10-06, 12:26 PM

A full strike on you, while all your silo's are in ICBM mode, and no ASW nearby. Nice :p

RedMenace
10-11-06, 06:49 PM
Can you also play the Ruskies? No? :hmm:

Cool Anyway. *Loads Demo*

I'm gonna look out for this...*Presses the Big Red Button* :up::rotfl:

Yes of course you can play as the Ruskies, man, as the big fat ol' USSR.:up:

Terrax
10-20-06, 12:02 PM
Downloading the demo now. Global dominiation and destruction, count me in!

SUBMAN1
10-20-06, 12:14 PM
I downloaded the demo today and am lovin it! This game is pretty cool. I pounded the ruskies twice now and only lost the American west coast and the east coast. :roll:

I like it. I will probably end up buying it. It is a great demo though for anyone thinking about it. You have the full game to play around with minus a few game play options. (Only 2 players at a time online in the demo.)

Retarget for China please. We need to take them out before they do the same to us.

-S

Oberon
10-20-06, 03:30 PM

A full strike on you, while all your silo's are in ICBM mode, and no ASW nearby. Nice :p

;) Take a look at the colours...I was the one doing the launching :D Using an old Russkie tactic of low traj sub launching, the AI seems to have forgotten to deploy ASW on its coastline :rock:

SUBMAN1
10-20-06, 04:29 PM

;) Take a look at the colours...I was the one doing the launching :D Using an old Russkie tactic of low traj sub launching, the AI seems to have forgotten to deploy ASW on its coastline :rock:

The more I see, the more I think I need this game!

SUBMAN1
10-20-06, 11:00 PM
Been playing this. 1 on 1, the CPU will always loose. I was drinking a beer and talking on the phone and still kicked its butt. Evidence to follow:

http://img143.imageshack.us/img143/9865/deadbu4.jpg

SUBMAN1
10-20-06, 11:01 PM
So I guess my question is, to those who have bought this game, is it worth the $$$ to get the additional play modes?

-S

Terrax
10-21-06, 01:14 AM
Played the demo, was quite pleased with my tactics... until the whole west coast got nuked. I like it!!!

SUBMAN1
10-21-06, 12:03 PM
Played the demo, was quite pleased with my tactics... until the whole west coast got nuked. I like it!!!
Yeah - the CPU is rather lacking. This is what I did to China:

-S

PS. How can they say no one wins? This is a clear win to me.

http://img407.imageshack.us/img407/8596/deadzm2.jpg

Respenus
10-22-06, 11:32 AM
When over 1 billion people will play the game, people will star felling stange. But then it will be too late. BUT WHAT THE HECK!!! You can only nuke Russia a couple thousand times before it's too late, why waste time posting here :lol:

NeonSamurai
10-22-06, 03:34 PM

-S

Simple, the massive amounts of radiation now floating in the air will probably kill most life on the planet, not to mention with all those explosions there is a decent chance you have knocked the planet off its orbit.. So even though you won, you still lost ;)

SUBMAN1
10-22-06, 05:20 PM

-S

Simple, the massive amounts of radiation now floating in the air will probably kill most life on the planet, not to mention with all those explosions there is a decent chance you have knocked the planet off its orbit.. So even though you won, you still lost ;)

The radiation will blow out and raise the rad level for a bit. So what. You know how many bombs have been exploded already???

Anyway, I think the hypothesis of knocking the planet off orbit is a little off the mark too. That hypothesis has already been disproven by NASA and the original plan to use nukes to knock an asteroid off orbit - it won't work. The only way might be to blow the nuke off from a distance of the asteroid, but with nukes, that is not how they will be employed, except in an EMP type explosion.

A single comet hitting the planet produces more yeild than all the worlds bombs, and this is a directed hit too, yet the Earth is still in orbit after being hit with even larger objects.

So, rads will be a little higher and the weak might fall to it, but the strong will survive another day! :p :D

NeonSamurai
10-23-06, 11:17 AM
The radiation will blow out and raise the rad level for a bit. So what. You know how many bombs have been exploded already???

Anyway, I think the hypothesis of knocking the planet off orbit is a little off the mark too. That hypothesis has already been disproven by NASA and the original plan to use nukes to knock an asteroid off orbit - it won't work. The only way might be to blow the nuke off from a distance of the asteroid, but with nukes, that is not how they will be employed, except in an EMP type explosion.

A single comet hitting the planet produces more yeild than all the worlds bombs, and this is a directed hit too, yet the Earth is still in orbit after being hit with even larger objects.

So, rads will be a little higher and the weak might fall to it, but the strong will survive another day! :p :D

Actualy your comparing apples and oranges, the NASA plan with nukes and asteroids the reason why they are largely discarding it is because of the different types of asteroids in space, from mostly metalic ones to spongy fragile rock ones. With a heavy metalic asteroid a nuke deflection would likely work as the asteroid is likely strong enough to take the blast and not shatter, the other kinds of asteroids would just break up and still mostly hit the planet, which is pretty much just as bad. Detonating a large number of high yeild nukes in one general area of the planet though could cause changes in the planet's orbit or rotation or the orientation of its axis, at least theoreticly.

As for the amount of radiation spread, well look at chernoble and the amount of radioactive material it spread, now imagine several hundred 100 mega ton nukes detonating in the span of a day or 2, and the ensuing nuclear winter, which would likely bring about not only massive radiation across the planet, but would also bring at first high amounts of global warming (from the radioactive debris cloud in the air traping in heat) which would cause all kinds of reactions, from the water level rising, to many parts of the world going arid, not to mention massive changes in the dynamics of weather and wind patterns. After this the planet would then face an ice age (as the blanket of radioactive materials started to block out heat and light). In otherwords exactly what happened to the dinosaurs but with lots of radiation to go with it.

Lastly as for the number of nukes detonated, well most were not high yield, most of the large ones were also contained (underground tests) or in space. Compared with the full out onslaught of 2 super powers fighting a nuke war, the radiation produced by the tests is insignificant by comparison.

SUBMAN1
10-23-06, 02:50 PM

Actualy your comparing apples and oranges, the NASA plan with nukes and asteroids the reason why they are largely discarding it is because of the different types of asteroids in space, from mostly metalic ones to spongy fragile rock ones. With a heavy metalic asteroid a nuke deflection would likely work as the asteroid is likely strong enough to take the blast and not shatter, the other kinds of asteroids would just break up and still mostly hit the planet, which is pretty much just as bad. Detonating a large number of high yeild nukes in one general area of the planet though could cause changes in the planet's orbit or rotation or the orientation of its axis, at least theoreticly.

As for the amount of radiation spread, well look at chernoble and the amount of radioactive material it spread, now imagine several hundred 100 mega ton nukes detonating in the span of a day or 2, and the ensuing nuclear winter, which would likely bring about not only massive radiation across the planet, but would also bring at first high amounts of global warming (from the radioactive debris cloud in the air traping in heat) which would cause all kinds of reactions, from the water level rising, to many parts of the world going arid, not to mention massive changes in the dynamics of weather and wind patterns. After this the planet would then face an ice age (as the blanket of radioactive materials started to block out heat and light). In otherwords exactly what happened to the dinosaurs but with lots of radiation to go with it.

Lastly as for the number of nukes detonated, well most were not high yield, most of the large ones were also contained (underground tests) or in space. Compared with the full out onslaught of 2 super powers fighting a nuke war, the radiation produced by the tests is insignificant by comparison.
It still doesn't address the comet or asteroid scenerio - which is much more power than all the worlds nukes combined, all hitting a single point. THis has happened so many times in the Earths history that you can't even count the times actually. I son't beleive the rotation or orbit can be affected by such an event.

The rads will be bad, but oh well!!! The strong will survive. :up: ANd besides, every major city has fall out shelters just for this event. The US will continue on!!!

-S

porphy
10-23-06, 04:07 PM
The rads will be bad, but oh well!!! The strong will survive. :up: ANd besides, every major city has fall out shelters just for this event. The US will continue on!!!

Looks like Subman did take impression from the spirit in the Defcon manual text... ;) "Strongness" and optimism will defeat the nuclear holocaust, no worries... :hmm: From page thirteen in the manual:

"The shockwave from nuclear explosions is very similar to your everyday earthquake. For maximum personal security, stand in a door frame." ...

"Wear a sunscreen of at least spf 45 to prevent radiation burn."

"And remember, nuclear exchange is for national secuity and your long-term protection. So put your best face forward, chest out, and show those foreigners what us Brits (insert US here) are made of."

Brilliant game, you all should try it out. Cheers Porphy

SUBMAN1
10-23-06, 04:09 PM

Looks like Subman did take impression from the spirit in the Defcon manual text... ;) "Strongness" and optimism will defeat the nuclear holocaust, no worries... :hmm: From page thirteen in the manual:

"The shockwave from nuclear explosions is very similar to your everyday earthquake. For maximum personal security, stand in a door frame." ...

"Wear a sunscreen of at least spf 45 to prevent radiation burn."

"And remember, nuclear exchange is for national secuity and your long-term protection. So put your best face forward, chest out, and show those foreigners what us Brits (insert US here) are made of."

Brilliant game though, Cheers Porphy

There is a manual? I couldn't find one! Hey - cough up the goods! :D

-S

porphy
10-23-06, 04:14 PM
I preorderd the game and got the cd-box and manual today. I think you can download the manual as pdf file at Introvisions site. It contains some good info on building your own fallout shelter under the table (pictures are very clear and instructive ;) ) and how to make a fall-out suit! What else could one ask for? :88)

Cheers Porphy

SUBMAN1
10-23-06, 04:33 PM
I preorderd the game and got the cd-box and manual today. I think you can download the manual as pdf file at Introvisions site. It contains some good info on building your own fallout shelter under the table (pictures are very clear and instructive ;) ) and how to make a fall-out suit! What else could one ask for? :88)

Cheers Porphy

I must be blind. Rumaged around the site, and no manual.

:(

-S

PS. I would like to know a couple things, which is why I want it.

PPS. Give me a heads up - is the full game 'way' better than the demo?

Paajtor
10-23-06, 04:36 PM
Manual here (from the forum - Unofficial DEFCON FAQ (http://forums.introversion.co.uk/defcon/viewtopic.php?t=1521)):

http://storefront.steampowered.com/Manuals/1520/DEFCON%20manual.pdf

The full game has a few nice extra's, like 6-player support instead of 2 in the demo, and more modes, which can vary the duration of a game from anywhere between 20mins and a whole day ("Office Mode" :lol:)

http://www.everybody-dies.com/gfx/menu_selected.gifYou may play the single player Tutorial, and you may play a single player game against one AI opponent. (The full game permits six player games with any of those teams played by AI)

http://www.everybody-dies.com/gfx/menu_selected.gif This demo has working multiplayer, over LAN and Internet.

http://www.everybody-dies.com/gfx/menu_selected.gif You can set up any multiplayer game, but you can only have a maximum of two players in your game (The full game permits six player games). You may only play the Default game mode.

http://www.everybody-dies.com/gfx/menu_selected.gif You can join any multiplayer game, but only if there are no Demo players already playing in that game, and only if the game is using the Default game mode.
In other words, only one Demo user may join any one game at any time.

http://www.everybody-dies.com/gfx/menu_selected.gif You may specate any game of any size.

http://www.everybody-dies.com/gfx/menu_selected.gif Demo Users may not play any of the advanced Game Modes: Office Mode, Diplomacy, Speed Defcon, Tournament Mode.

http://www.everybody-dies.com/gfx/menu_selected.gif You can upgrade the Demo to the Full Game at any time - simply enter your purchased Authentication Key into the Demo Client and it will automatically upgrade. No further download is required.

NeonSamurai
10-23-06, 04:39 PM
It still doesn't address the comet or asteroid scenerio - which is much more power than all the worlds nukes combined, all hitting a single point. THis has happened so many times in the Earths history that you can't even count the times actually. I son't beleive the rotation or orbit can be affected by such an event.

-S
I think your mistaken on the power of an asteroid impact vs the nuclear stockpile of the world at its height (dont forget the world stockpile at its maximum had enough nukes to kill everything other then the cockroaches several times over). At least for the known impacts on the planet. Now mind you a realy big roid could easily do more damage then all the world's nukes, but we havent been hit yet by some of the realy big (and fast moving) ones... yet anyhow. As for knocking the planet off its orbital path or messing up its rotation or orientation, it is possible in theory, but it is highly dependant on the circumstances on if it would happen.

As for fall out shelters, pitty none of them other then a couple of key ones for the military and politicians have enough food supplies to last inside very long ;) and none of them have enough to wait it out till it is safe outside (of course even if they did, the original ocupants would be long dead by then).

Anyhow back to the game, i think its pretty cool, though i think it does get a bit dull fairly quickly, especialy vs the ai. Im sure though multiplayer games with politics and alliances could be interesting.

porphy
10-23-06, 04:43 PM
You were quicker than me Paajtor! Manual is very basic and short, but have a few nice things, like the photo of the devs in generals outfit and sunglasses. :cool:

The full game isn't different from the demo as far as I know. The big thing is that you can go multiplayer through Introversions master server. This game was obviously made for mp play. I read about naming the cpu player Joshua would kick in some serious opposition from the Ai, but I don't know if it is true or just a rumour on the forum.

Cheers Porphy

Paajtor
10-23-06, 05:38 PM
"Joshua" (http://forums.introversion.co.uk/defcon/viewtopic.php?t=2037&highlight=joshua):up:

Terrax
10-27-06, 11:40 AM
Change the game mode to big world to dramatically increase your fleet and bases. I always beat the AI, but take high losses at the same time. Oddly enough, I have trouble with the enemy fleet as well. The AI's fleet is almost completely cancelling mine out.

SUBMAN1
10-27-06, 11:44 AM
Change the game mode to big world to dramatically increase your fleet and bases. I always beat the AI, but take high losses at the same time. Oddly enough, I have trouble with the enemy fleet as well. The AI's fleet is almost completely cancelling mine out.

You some land aircraft to bolster your fleet when attacking.

Oberon
12-26-06, 04:05 AM
Just thought I'd bump this thread up in celebration of my first multiplayer Human vs Human game, against my best mate who lives down the road from me (Known here, as Nagy).
Since I still only have the demo (New years resolution...get full game) and he has the full game, he hosted, and we played Russia vs Europe. I as Russia, he as Europe.
First off the bat, it seems we both made the same mistake, he sent a fleet of subs to the Pacific to try and outfox me...and I sent a fleet of subs FROM the Pacific to try and surprise him...of course, what I didn't know was that he also had a carrier group heading with the subs, whereas I just had a small sub pack. The war started well for me at DEFCON 3, with a massive ship to ship battle in the GIUK gap, and since I commited most of my forces at once, and my AA coverage overlapped the battlezone (as did his) I was able to secure control of the sea. My other sub group that wasn't stuck in the Pacific, then moved down to off the coast of Ireland...as my bombers went out early to knock out his Early Warning systems and some silos close to my front lines. UNFORTUNATELY, what I neglected to do, was to send the bombers out at DEFCON1, which meant that all they managed to achieve was to get shot down.
My second big master plan, which was sending a group of bombers from an airbase in Eastern Russia, across the US and attacking Britain and Spain from the west...totally failed when all the bombers ran out of fuel and crashed on the US Eastern seaboard. :damn:
But never mind! I had the tactical advantage! When I reached DEFCON 1, a few of my remaining bombers managed to take out a couple of his radar sites, my submarine fleet was unmolested and in position off the coast of Ireland, ready for launch orders, and I had a ASW fleet in position off Murmansk...and when I received a launch warning from the Northern sea, I was able to scramble fighters, and bombers and hunt down all of his SSBN fleet which was attempting to launch at me, it was quite funny....everytime one of his subs came up to launch, I had a fighter nearby which opened fire on it....of course, then I had the position to send my ASW fleet...and well...the rest is history as they say.

Eventually, my friend had to leave...so before he went, I commited my forces, switch a couple of my silos over to launch mode, and launching everything my sub fleet had. He retalliated with his silos...but whereas a lot of my SLBMs got through...hardly any of his ICBMs landed on my soil...in fact, I do believe Moscow was entact at the end of the game...and that's gotta count for something.
Unfortunately for the Rodina though...I hadn't bargained on his Pacific carrier fleet which was now in position...and suddenly I had bombers approaching my poorly defended Eastern flank, and casualties started to mount up...thankfully, the cities in that region are few and far between and mostly small...so I didn't lose that many points.

So...key things to remember for me...
1) Keep bombers on the ground until DEFCON 1!! :damn:
2) When playing against EU, keep Submarine fleet in the Barents, not the Pacific
3) Protect Eastern flank a little more.

Here's a screenshot of the end results, you can see his bomber force moving through Eastern Russia...thankfully the victory timer counted down before too many of my cities could be hit.

http://img253.imageshack.us/img253/1991/mattcon3fx0.jpg

Enigma
12-26-06, 10:17 AM
:up: Great game. I play alot, under the name NORAD.

Eagle1_Division
01-15-07, 10:42 PM
How many ppl have the 'space6' mod? I love it, named myself "Alingstan Empire" just for it. Funny thing though, everyone(including me)loves playing the US, when, in fact, its one of the 3 territories to have 2 coasts, alot harder to defend.

btw i think its the mods that make the full version so great :) .