PDA

View Full Version : Disarming the Weapon Systems!

IronOutlaw
09-06-06, 08:02 PM
"Now he has to be mad," I hear you all say. However, there is method in my madness.

I am an instructor with the Australian Navy Cadets at TS Hawkesbury near Sydney, Australia. The ANC is a youth training organisation sponsored by the RAN.

I have been impressed with the potential of DW to create a realistic simulation for an FFG, in particular, but for command and control exercises in general.

But, the cadets are aged from 12 1/2 to 21 and the governing body of the ANC would not like us showing the kids how to destroy ships and submarines, and ultimately the people on board, even though you don't see them.

If the game could be made so that non combat missions like search and rescue, border patrol, etc., only were possible, the chance of having a bunch of youngsters all working together on say, the bridge of an FFG, patrolling northern Australia for illegal fishing boats, or rescuing another mad Englishman (I am already one), from an upturned yacht in the Antarctic Ocean, would be such a great training aid.

A good recruiting tool for the RAN methinks, (as I do not think it would be hard to set up a generic simulator at the Cadet Unit), not to mention the possibility of greater exposure of DW and subsequently increased sales. I do not know if the RAN is already using DW.

Thanks guys, I look forward to hearing your suggestions.

XabbaRus
09-10-06, 05:10 PM
But, the cadets are aged from 12 1/2 to 21 and the governing body of the ANC would not like us showing the kids how to destroy ships and submarines, and ultimately the people on board, even though you don't see them.

DW could do that but I think your governing body is a bit behind the times. Do they not realise that a lot of your cadets have probably been playing Doom, Quake or Half-Life for some time with its gore.

I can't see how the big problem with a 12 year old sinking subs and ships. At twelve I was shooting down WWI fighters over the western front in Red Baron. I'd use DW and give them some ASW search missions. You could do it like a friendly exercise where the goal is to search and track a sub for X period of time. You can set it so the "enemy" sub wouldn't fire back either by making it a neutral with peace time ROE for good measure.

Driftwood
09-11-06, 07:42 AM
Yet another example of politically correct BS. :nope: Unfortuntate that it pervades the entire globe. :damn: That's not to say I don't understand your predicament and certainly empthasize with you. On this day of US National remembrance I would like to say that the entire civilized world better wake up and smell the coffee.

LoBlo
09-13-06, 12:31 AM
Just answer the man's question or don't comment.

IIRC (but I've never tried it) its might be possible to disable the weapons systems on any platform by deleting the launcher system from the game using DWEdit. (Its a database editor found on SubGuru's website for editing and tweaking platform stats.)

Give it a try and see what happens.

Palindromeria
10-24-06, 11:01 AM
damage the weapons systems with a script, maybe ?

Fish
10-24-06, 02:19 PM
Mission Editor> Setup> Rules of engagement> Peace Time. :hmm:

Palindromeria
10-27-06, 12:32 AM
:hmm: aside from the fact that was already suggested for enemy ships ...
maybe i misunderstand,
is a player ship set to peace roe absolutely prevented from using weps ?
i thought not.
am i mistaken ? :hmm:

he wants ensure the players cannot fire weps.
so his students go do multistation search and rescue type missions
as well as missions searching for fishing boats and yachts. (unarmed neutrals so roe irrelevant)
there is no mention of enemy combatants. (they could be neutral also)

i think a script would be simpler to disable the FFG weps then editing the dbase
and was surprised it was overlooked.

:/\\chop

kage
11-11-06, 04:56 AM
As stated elsewhere, the weapons systems can be marked as damaged by the scenario. Another possibility is that the multiplayer host of a multistation game, an adult supervisor or such, can hog those stations and not use them.

Oh, and... we too would like to try whatever missions you come up with. We'll gladly help you should you get stuck in their making.

Lovro
11-23-06, 04:16 AM
Where is the point if they cant fire weapons- if a 21 years old guy cant stand to see a bunch of computer polygons get sunk thant I sure dont want him to serve in my navy.

I understand it is political correctnes and all but still... I was like 12 when I played soldier of fortune.

kage
11-28-06, 02:02 AM
The point would seem to be that it is to reflect real life peacetime operations... which doesn't include weapons.