PDA

View Full Version : Royal Navy WW 2 submarine books

Linton
09-04-06, 11:59 AM
I am tring to compile a list of books about WW2 RN submarine operations.Can anyone help?

CB..
09-04-06, 01:03 PM
i have a book called the "Encyclopedia of british Submarines 1901-1955"
byPaul Akermann

periscope publishing
it's not the most illuminating books from a illustation point of view very few photographs --it's allmost exclusively rather poor small scale line drawings of the subs...very disapointing...but it does cover a lot of ground giving historys of all the subs so may be of help

Linton
09-04-06, 06:10 PM
Thank you for that CB.What In am tring to find are the personal reminiscences of that war.There are a few well know ones but I have most of those.Anybody else have any info?

DAB
09-05-06, 05:17 AM
Thank you for that CB.What In am tring to find are the personal reminiscences of that war.There are a few well know ones but I have most of those.Anybody else have any info?

Which ones do you have...

Edward Young: One of our Submarines...

is the the most obvious one that springs to mind.

Linton
09-05-06, 05:04 PM
I have books by Mars,Young Bryant Chapman Simpson and Wingate.About ten in total most of them first editions including one signed.
I also have a Beach book signed by him!

Driftwood
09-05-06, 05:25 PM
Since you mentioned Bryant I'll assume it's "Submarine Commander." Excellent read about UK sub opns in the Med!:up: But it's out of print. Found my copy on the internet.

Linton
09-05-06, 05:35 PM
Bryant wrote Submarine Command/One man Band.It is the same book!It is a truely excellent book and should be on everybody's bookshelf!!

Linton
09-05-06, 05:39 PM
This list is quite helpful but does contain a few ommisions:http://library.nps.navy.mil/home/bibs/submarine/subbooksbrit.htm