gonenuclear
08-26-06, 01:32 AM
does sub commmand work on windows XP?

Sea Demon
08-26-06, 02:02 AM
Yes :up:

aatyas
03-05-07, 05:57 AM
Ok- managed to track down an old Windows 98 PC of a friend. Copied the 2 Sub Command installation disks to the hard drive (850MB or so) and then copies those files in two seperate folders (disk1, disk2) onto a 1GB flash drive and copied them onto my XP hard disk.

I tried to run the setup.exe file under compatibility 98 and Windows 2000 mode- it started and stopped after some file directory on the C drive was not there or something.

Can anyone advise me how to install it?

Or do I burn the two disk folders onto 2 CDs and try to install through CD/DVD drive?

Other option is to buy the download version of Dangerous Waters. But i loved playing SC.

Please help someone.

Thanks

Sam

aatyas
03-05-07, 08:51 AM
I checked the two disks- disk 2 is accessable in Windows XP- but Disk 1 just turns and then does not show up. I have had this problem with a few disks on my laptop. Dont know if this means my CDRW is messed up or just the disk. Gonna try to get disk 1 copies with another burner and see.

Sigh.

aatyas
03-06-07, 12:20 AM
Ok. Disk 1 only doesn't seem to work on my laptop- (where I want to install it!!).

When i try to install from hard disk or USB- either it asks me to put in correct CD rom or I get an error saying path is wrong.

Can anyone advise what I can do? I figure last resort is to try to copy disk 1 if it is readable.

Anyone?

Pisces
03-07-07, 08:31 AM
aatyas/Sam:

1: Why ask for help in 2 places at once? And let's put every info in the same post. (the other XP thread)

2: Much simpler! If you have the SC cds, why not put those 2 cds into your laptop and install regularly?

aatyas
03-07-07, 04:02 PM
Thanks. Started updating this post.
need to delete other post.
The problem appears to be with disk 1 not being recognised on my laptop only. i cant access it. Will have to try to copy the diskettte and see. or will have to download sub Command from one of the Navy packs from steam. Was just trying to install from some other media- but that was not working. I tried to install using all executible files from:-

a) Installing from the setup file in the setup folder and then i get a window saying to install correct path and shows "c:\setup\" grayed out so I cant change the path.

b) Installing from the autorun file- it says to enter the correct CD.

I also copied both disks to the hard disk of the laptop as d1 and d2 and tried to install. But doesnt not get past start.

Disk 2 is recognised by the laptop with no problem. Disk 1 just spins and nothing shows in the d drive and when i try to open the drive- it says that the drive is either empty.

ps:

by the way thought it was a software thing too. So transferred all my files to a hard disk and reinstalled windows from scratch and drivers and tried to install game as first program- but again disk 1 not being accessed.

2:52am: SUCCESS!! Well partial. Copied the setup folder onto c:\ and tried install from disk1 folder on c:\- and it installed up to asking for cd2 (also to be in same path as d1). And just my luck- gave both CDs to my friend to burn copies. Now i have to wait a day- dammit!

checked my backup drive and wouldnt you know it- i deleted the d2 folder- as the disk was readable. Sigh!

Pisces
03-08-07, 01:24 PM
Sounds like that disc 1 has experienced its fair share of wear and tear. (lol, that rimes) Any scratches on it? Maybe Sonalysts can provide a replacement cd. If you want to make a copy of those cds (For personal use obviously!) I suggest to make a complete disk copy (burn whole disk at once) instead of just copying files. Or you might forget some files or disrupt the folder layout. And I think your failure and succes to install was due to the fact you executed setup.exe from inside a folder structure on the harddrive that made it seem different than it is on the cd. Best to make it look like a CD as much as possible. Maybe I misunderstood you.

aatyas
03-09-07, 08:05 AM
Finally managed to install Sub Command- by rather unorthodox manner. Glad its an old game. I copies the whole game folder from the PC where I installed it at work onto my USB drive and then exported the resgistry keys and then applied the 1.08 patch. And success!!! Glad game is under 1GB and old where directory copies work.

Disk 1 has no scratches- it appears to be a hardware problem with my laptop combo drive- as some other CDs and DVDs do not appear to be readable. Waiting for my friend to give me the CD copy if succesful.

Now looking for decent mods to add to game.