PDA

View Full Version : Sinking of the Yamato upcoming movie clips

John Pancoast
08-24-06, 04:19 PM
http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=1234136 (http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=1234136)

Kruger
08-24-06, 05:36 PM
Regardless of anything else....I find it sad to see a beautiful ship turned into a wreck. Maybe in another place...Bismarck, Hood, Yamato and Arizona sail together against the horizon, guns silent...and crews happily sleeping forever and not knowing what pain is, anymore.

Von Hinten
08-24-06, 07:35 PM
Well said Kruger.

And thanks for the links John.

Jmack
08-24-06, 08:11 PM
really nice ...
thanks

anyone has some more info for this movie ?

the oficial site is in japanese

nikimcbee
08-27-06, 10:40 PM
WOW! I can't wait to see this movie.

Were there any survivors from the Yamato?

bookworm_020
08-28-06, 02:45 AM
There were survivors. Three of the destroyers that weren't sunk by air attack, rescued as many as they could before returning to Japan.

I can't remember how many, but I know there were some as I read a account of the last voyage of the ship.

Sonarman
08-30-06, 02:45 PM
Here is a link to the film's website http://www.yamato-movie.jp/top/index.html
I read recently that the film was to be shown at the Montreal Film Festival which is happening as we "speak". Presumably that means they may have produced some English/French subtitles, lets hope it finds its way on to DVD at some point soon.

John Pancoast
08-30-06, 03:29 PM
Here is a link to the film's website http://www.yamato-movie.jp/top/index.html
I read recently that the film was to be shown at the Montreal Film Festival which is happening as we "speak". Presumably that means they may have produced some English/French subtitles, lets hope it finds its way on to DVD at some point soon.

I don't know if subtitles are necessary; one doesn't need to know Japanese, to figure that the characters in these clips are most likely saying something along the lines of "&^*$# !, we're in a heap of @#$* now !

:lol:

Torvald Von Mansee
08-31-06, 04:34 PM
Hmmm....I think I will inform the Powers That Be at Otakon to see if maybe they could screen this, next year, if it hasn't been theatrically released.

The General
08-31-06, 05:19 PM
Japan has a great history of quality film making. This isn't exactly Seven Samurai, but technically impressive. The film-makers are certainly not guilty of over-sentimentalising like the Americans and it certainly gets across the old adage of War is Hell!

monkee
09-05-06, 07:18 AM
I wonder if we can sink those ships in SHIV. Musashi took 20 eels and 17 bombs

rls669
09-05-06, 05:57 PM
I wonder if we can sink those ships in SHIV. Musashi took 20 eels and 17 bombs

Pffft. Everyone knows battleships go down with one hit to the fuel bunker :p

John Pancoast
09-05-06, 06:14 PM
Japan has a great history of quality film making. This isn't exactly Seven Samurai, but technically impressive. The film-makers are certainly not guilty of over-sentimentalising like the Americans and it certainly gets across the old adage of War is Hell!

Hard to say until the movie is actually released. Japan has never been and still isn't, prone to acknowledging their part in/before WW2.

It could very well have a "poor IJN ship was picked on for no reason by the warmongering US Navy" theme for all we know.

Or not. Time will tell.

Torgen
09-05-06, 09:36 PM
In a "kinda related note", I was behind a new Hyundai Elantra today, and the license plate said "Pearl Harbor Survivor". I wanted to follow the guy until he stopped, so I could thank him, but I figured he'd think I was some sort of stalker or something. :p

rls669
09-06-06, 05:33 PM
It would be awesome if he turned out to be Japanese :p

monkee
09-07-06, 03:58 AM
Pffft. Everyone knows battleships go down with one hit to the fuel bunker :p

True, but so far I only managed to do that on stationary battleships.

Patboot
09-08-06, 06:04 AM
In his book "Japanese Destroyer Capitain", Tameichi Hara , commanding cruiser Yahagi, gives a good eyewitness report of the battle.

Overall, a good read too- if you can find it.

Hawk U-375
09-14-06, 12:34 PM
Wow!!!!! Thanks for the Link`~~~:rock:

John Pancoast
09-14-06, 12:43 PM
Hmmm......got a chance to look at these again, other than the quick look I had before.

Interesting that the US divebombers in the movie were approaching/bombing on a horizontal plane............:down: , completely different than how it was done in reality.

Danelov
09-14-06, 05:18 PM
Great film, thanks for post the links.Go in the historical details ,the attack was done by 350 aircrafts of the TF-38(Admiral Mitscher)the 07-04-45 , two days before the arrival date at Okinawa.In this attack were losses the Yamato, the light cruiser Yahagi and the destroyers Isokaze,Hamakaze,Kasumi and Asashimo ;the IJN loss 3665 mens this day.The Yamato had taked in the attack 9 to 13 torpedo hits and six direct hits by heavy bombs.
Survived the attack the destroyers Fuyutsuki, Suzutsuki, Hatsushimo and Yukikaze, this last, a lucky ship, was the last example of the Kagero class still afloat, all other 17 ships of the class were sunk in the war.He finnished his live as "Tang Chen" in the China Navy and was broken up in 1970.The wreck of the Yamato was finded and explored in August 1985.

At the end of the war ,only one IJN battleship was still afloat, the Nagato.Taked by the USN was utilised for the atomic test a Bikini,together with CV-3 Saratoga, Light cruiser Salt Lake City,the German Heavy cruiser Prinz Eugen and many other ships considered expendables.

HunterICX
09-14-06, 06:09 PM
:-? Just seeing this movie , thats just pure hell....
:nope: and what a shame of such beautifull ship...

John Pancoast
09-14-06, 06:17 PM
:-? Just seeing this movie , thats just pure hell....
:nope: and what a shame of such beautifull ship...

Yeah, what a shame it wasn't sunk a few years earlier in the war :)

AG124
09-14-06, 07:48 PM
At the end of the war ,only one IJN battleship was still afloat, the Nagato.Taked by the USN was utilised for the atomic test a Bikini,together with CV-3 Saratoga, Light cruiser Salt Lake City,the German Heavy cruiser Prinz Eugen and many other ships considered expendables.

I don't remember all of the ships that were used in Operation Crossroads, but here are the capital ones. There are lists all over the internet but I am too lazy to look right now. The ones with no note survived the tests, usually to be sunk as targets later.

BTW -The Salt Lake City was a Pensacola class CA, not a CL.:know: Don't wory, I make mistakes like that too sometimes.

Carriers:

USS Saratoga (Sunk by Baker)
USS Independence

Battleships:

IJN Nagato (Sunk by Baker)
USS Arkansas (Sunk by Baker)
USS Nevada
USS Pennsylvania
USS Nevada

Heavy Cruisers:

USS Salt Lake City
USS Pensacola
USS Prinz Eugen (The PE was actually commisioned into the US Navy as an misc. auxiliary)

Light Cruisers:

IJN Sakawa (Sunk by Able)

I don't know why the US didn't use some more captured Japanese vessels as well- I definitely would have used the carrier Katsuragi, maybe the CL Kashima and some DDs and SS's as well (at least the SS's which weren't being studied). Maybe a couple of U-Boats as well. With the US warships, I wouldn't have bothered with the New York and Arkansas - maybe some older CLs and the CV Ranger would have been better. Then again, the only CLs to be immediately discarded were the completely obsolete Omahas.

If the Yamato had survived the war though, there is no doubt in my mind she would have ended up in Bikini Atoll.:o I would just like to know if she would have survived the blasts.

Also, it is too bad that the wreck of the Yamato didn't survive in better condition.:down: She is broken into three pieces, and the wreck has capsized (and has most of the hull blown open from the final magazine detonation). I have heard that the Musashi is in much better condition, but I can't find any information.

(BTW - Speaking of Crossroads and wrecks, did anyone know that the Independence was found about 15 years ago where she was sunk as a target in 1951? Now I'm OT again - someone please start a 'ships of Crossroads' thread to shut me up.:damn: I may have to do it myself tomorow.)

bookworm_020
09-14-06, 09:28 PM
I don't remember all of the ships that were used in Operation Crossroads, but here are the capital ones. There are lists all over the internet but I am too lazy to look right now. The ones with no note survived the tests, usually to be sunk as targets later.

BTW -The Salt Lake City was a Pensacola class CA, not a CL.:know: Don't wory, I make mistakes like that too sometimes.

Carriers:

USS Saratoga (Sunk by Baker)
USS Independence

Battleships:

IJN Nagato (Sunk by Baker)
USS Arkansas (Sunk by Baker)
USS Nevada
USS Pennsylvania
USS Nevada

Heavy Cruisers:

USS Salt Lake City
USS Pensacola
USS Prinz Eugen (The PE was actually commisioned into the US Navy as an misc. auxiliary)

Light Cruisers:

IJN Sakawa (Sunk by Able)

I don't know why the US didn't use some more captured Japanese vessels as well- I definitely would have used the carrier Katsuragi, maybe the CL Kashima and some DDs and SS's as well (at least the SS's which weren't being studied). Maybe a couple of U-Boats as well. With the US warships, I wouldn't have bothered with the New York and Arkansas - maybe some older CLs and the CV Ranger would have been better. Then again, the only CLs to be immediately discarded were the completely obsolete Omahas.

If the Yamato had survived the war though, there is no doubt in my mind she would have ended up in Bikini Atoll.:o I would just like to know if she would have survived the blasts.

Also, it is too bad that the wreck of the Yamato didn't survive in better condition.:down: She is broken into three pieces, and the wreck has capsized (and has most of the hull blown open from the final magazine detonation). I have heard that the Musashi is in much better condition, but I can't find any information.

(BTW - Speaking of Crossroads and wrecks, did anyone know that the Independence was found about 15 years ago where she was sunk as a target in 1951? Now I'm OT again - someone please start a 'ships of Crossroads' thread to shut me up.:damn: I may have to do it myself tomorow.)

I saw this on ebay when I followed the thread about the ship identification handbook that was also listed. If you want info on the Crossroads A bomb tests, then this is your book (a little expensive, but if your into it, go for it!)

http://cgi.ebay.ca/OPERATION-CROSSROADS-ATOMIC-BOMB-CRUISE-BOOK-1946_W0QQitemZ6594929627QQihZ012QQcategoryZ29223QQ tcZphotoQQcmdZViewItem

Jimbuna
09-15-06, 09:22 AM
Excellent link John thanks...would love to see that movie in its entirity (searching the mule now);)