PDA

View Full Version : Gamespot Q&A

Onkel Neal
08-24-06, 07:43 AM
http://www.gamespot.com/pc/sim/silenthunter4/news.html?sid=6156326&mode=previews (http://www.gamespot.com/pc/sim/silenthunter4/news.html?sid=6156326&mode=previews)

As in Silent Hunter III, you are free to roam wherever you choose. Of course, as in any military organization, there are objectives to be completed and targets to be achieved. If players disregard commander's orders and go hunt somewhere else, they'd better bring back results. Otherwise--in historically accurate fashion--COMSUBPAC may decide that the patrol was "unsuccessful" and relieve them of command.

:yep:

Safe-Keeper
08-24-06, 07:53 AM
Damn. Off to update my introduction thread again.

Why hasn't it been stuck yet, by the way? My completely objective opinion is that it should be:p.

Jmack
08-24-06, 07:56 AM
understandable ....

Safe-Keeper
08-24-06, 07:59 AM
Not that much new in the interview itself, but I like it none-the-less.

Keep 'em coming, Ubi:arrgh!:!

fred8615
08-24-06, 08:43 AM
Sounds fantastic, except for one thing:

No S-boats!! :cry:

Syxx_Killer
08-24-06, 08:48 AM
Some things worry me in that interview on GameSpot. By the sounds of it, torpedo duds will be similar to SH3 - I.E. you hit a ship and the wrong angle and the torpedo bounces off.

DD: Players that choose to have the realism settings maxed out will indeed have lots of trouble with their torpedoes in the first half of the war. Torpedo duds are not handled as a statistic, though; it's not just luck that chooses if you get a detonation or not. Instead, the angle at which the torpedo hits the ship's geometry is taken into account and put into historical context to get a probability.

For example, with early war US torpedoes (Mk.XIVs with Mk.6 detonator) the worst probability is met when you get a perpendicular impact on the target surface--this, in theory, being the best shot you can achieve. Work with this factor in mind, judge every shot, and keep the torpedo room crews efficient, and you'll get a nice boom every time.

Doesn't it sound like it is currently in SH3? I don't want nice, big booms everytime.

GS: Finally, what other lessons did you learn from Silent Hunter III that are being carried over to develop this game? For instance, a lot of fans remember that Silent Hunter III was great once it was patched, so will there be a larger focus on getting the game done right out of the box this time around?

DD: Our team always aims to deliver the goods the first time around. This was true for Silent Hunter III, too.

Well that's worrying. If they roll out SH4 like they did SH3, we're in trouble. What a buggy mess SH3 was. :dead:

U-104
08-24-06, 09:16 AM
no s boats is like no typeII.:cry: