PDA

View Full Version : Uss Wahoo Found!!!!

WilhelmSchulz.
08-18-06, 08:48 PM
Russian Diver looking for somthing else found the USS WAHOO(SS-238) in the La Perouse Strait.

Russians find wreckage of U.S. submarine (http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060817/ap_on_re_eu/russia_us_sunken_sub)

Wahoo (SS-238) (http://uboat.net/allies/warships/ship/2984.html)

Safe-Keeper
08-18-06, 09:21 PM
What's with this year and the discoveries of World War II vessels?

WilhelmSchulz.
08-18-06, 09:56 PM
Whad ya mean?

Jager Kapitan
08-18-06, 10:24 PM
its strange, earlier this year the USS Lagarto was found, then this one, and i think there was another a group think they discovered the USS Grunion, so its been a year of discovery of US subs

edit: and the Graf Zeppelin being found also, sorry my brain is drained

Torplexed
08-18-06, 10:48 PM
At this rate Amelia Earhart's gonna show up next. ;)

Safe-Keeper
08-18-06, 11:30 PM
I was refering to the Graf Zeppelin being found.

Driftwood
08-19-06, 06:52 AM
Maybe Jimmy Hoffa will be found too! :rotfl:

TwistedFemur
08-19-06, 07:23 AM
So is it still U.S. property?

MGR1
08-19-06, 12:26 PM
So is it still U.S. property?

If the US does things the same as the UK, then, YES.

Any warship sunk and considered a War Grave remains the property of it's country of origin, even if it's within the territorial waters of another state.

Mike.:)

flyingdane
08-19-06, 03:38 PM
RIP. Brave crew of Wahoo, you will never be forgotten. :rock:

WilhelmSchulz.
08-20-06, 10:31 AM
Well in international law, any sunkin ship is still proprty of its orignal owner. Evean if it is in tertorial waters.:know:

Kaleun
08-20-06, 03:20 PM
hi,

Well i'm still holding out for Shergar and Lord lucan to be found!:rotfl: maybe this could be the year!!

kaleun

bookworm_020
08-20-06, 07:13 PM
I'm waiting of Charles Kingford-Smith to be found. Not to mention HMAS Sydney, the only cruiser to be sunk by an armed merchant cruiser "Kormarn":arrgh!:

Torplexed
08-20-06, 07:38 PM
At present a private foundation, HMAS Sydney Search Pty Ltd, is attempting to locate the wrecks of the cruiser Sydney and the German raider Kormoran she fought her last battle with.

Won't be easy. If I recall correctly she sank out in the vast reaches of the Indian Ocean far from land. Kinda like the hunt for the Titanic which took so many years.

bookworm_020
08-20-06, 11:14 PM
At present a private foundation, HMAS Sydney Search Pty Ltd, is attempting to locate the wrecks of the cruiser Sydney and the German raider Kormoran she fought her last battle with.

Won't be easy. If I recall correctly she sank out in the vast reaches of the Indian Ocean far from land. Kinda like the hunt for the Titanic which took so many years.

There is conflicting reports on her location. The fact no Australian survived mean all reports of what happen before, during and after the battle come from them. The only trace of HMAS Sydney found was a rescue float, now housed at the Australian War Memorial in Canberra.

A search area has been narrowed down, and plans are underway to start a search. The Federal government and a couple of states have put up funds to help.

I hope it can be added to the list of the above sub's, as this would bring closure to so many.

cmdrk
08-21-06, 12:56 PM
For more info about Wahoo and lots of great pictures go to
http://www.warfish.com/

flyingdane
08-21-06, 05:23 PM
I Hope there family knows by now. :nope:

don1reed
08-21-06, 06:49 PM
maybe its that "time" when the sea shall give up her dead?