PDA

View Full Version : Some Facts

Jmack
08-10-06, 12:39 AM
ok people before you guys get all happy read the link below about the U.S NAVY
submarines and torpedos etc i give you an example one american submarine " halibut " fired 23 torpedos only one explode ... despite that ...one of the targets went to the bottom because the torpedo punched a hole in the rusty plates of the target ship . the united states score for the whole year of 1942 was 725.000 tons about the same of a U-BOAT in a month around the same period. in fact the U.S. total torpedo production for 1942 was 2382 torpedos about 60 a month ... do you think they spend them all ... noooo they only used 2010 in 1942. but the U.S. NAVY submarine force has also a good record not everything is bad ... the largest ship ever sink by a submarine the aircraft carrier "shinano" in 1944 over 70 000 tons

http://www.submarine-history.com/NOVAfour.htm

TDK1044
08-10-06, 06:20 AM
Perception is often every bit as important as reality. SH1V will offer the 'dud torpedo' option just as other versions of Silent Hunter have, but the torpedo fail rate in the game obviously won't be based on your figures. If it was, the enjoyment level of the game would drop massively and the frustration level would rise massively. The game simply wouldn't be fun to play. I'm sure there are those who would like the game to be totally realistic in every regard, but Ubisoft want to produce a game that people will enjoy playing, not a totally realistic game that most people won't enjoy playing. If word of mouth was that SH1V is totally realistic but you never get to sink anything, then the thing that would sink fastest would be SH1V. :ping:

Jmack
08-10-06, 10:35 AM
of course we all know that ...
it was a kind of a joke post m8, because i would like very much to be able to play diferent sides like german british and japonese in SH4 ...

TDK1044
08-10-06, 11:21 AM
Well, in SH1V you'll be able to sit at your computer and speak with a Japanese, British or German accent while being in charge of an American Sub. :rotfl:

Jmack
08-11-06, 09:26 PM
bah .... it looks like im the only one that thinks it would be nice to play other nationalities ..

Safe-Keeper
08-11-06, 09:48 PM
bah .... it looks like im the only one that thinks it would be nice to play other nationalities ..Far from it. But it's still a pretty impossible thing to implement as it'd take an eternity and a ton of effort. Better to leave it to expansion packs and mods.

Wilko
08-12-06, 03:08 AM
I'm reading Silent Victory by Clay Blair and it is as a fantastic book as what you guys said it was, does a wonderful job of telling the US sub story :know:

Threadfin
08-12-06, 09:24 AM
Shinano's inteneded full load displacement would have been around 72,000 tons, but she was not that heavy when sunk. The generally accepted fugure of her displacement at the time of her sinking was closer to 59,000.

Rick Martin
01-07-07, 03:14 PM
ok people before you guys get all happy read the link below about the U.S NAVY
submarines and torpedos etc i give you an example one american submarine " halibut " fired 23 torpedos only one explode ... despite that ...one of the targets went to the bottom because the torpedo punched a hole in the rusty plates of the target ship . the united states score for the whole year of 1942 was 725.000 tons about the same of a U-BOAT in a month around the same period. in fact the U.S. total torpedo production for 1942 was 2382 torpedos about 60 a month ... do you think they spend them all ... noooo they only used 2010 in 1942. but the U.S. NAVY submarine force has also a good record not everything is bad ... the largest ship ever sink by a submarine the aircraft carrier "shinano" in 1944 over 70 000 tons

http://www.submarine-history.com/NOVAfour.htm
:shifty: OK, and your point is--------? Remember, German U-boats went to sea initially with defective depth settings, defective magnetic exploders, and erratic running torpedos (does that sound familiar?) I think redesigns came about as a result of someone being shot but we don't do those things. Eventually we got most of our torpedo probs fixed although bureocratic stupidity managed to delay the fixes. We also had to undo a lot of pre-war training faults which caused a lot of missed opportunities. Besides, look at the sterlilng performance of the Japanese submarine service, apparently they thought going after merchants was dishonerable or some such nonsense Rick Martin

AS
01-07-07, 06:50 PM
...but it took the US up to 18 months to fix the torpedo problem. Considering that they only participated in WW2 from Dec. 1941 and the Pacific subwar was virtually ended in late 1944 18months is a long time to play paper tiger...

Look at the sinkings in the first months...