PDA

View Full Version : Input from the Forums

TDK1044
08-03-06, 09:08 AM
Do the DEVS on a game like SH1V actually get to see the ideas that users at Forums such as this have for SH1V? Does Neal or someone else actually get the ideas expressed here to the DEVS for consideration? I'm interested to know how much or how little information actually gets to them regarding our ideas? I certainly don't expect them to include all or even most of the ideas expressed here, but I'd like to know how in touch with this Forum they are?

Thanks,

Terry

Safe-Keeper
08-03-06, 10:08 AM
Well, the developers should read these boards. It'd be rather foolish of them not to, with all the ideas being brought forth here. Not all of them are great, of course, but there are a few that are true gems. It's also very good for the community if the developers actively post in a fan forum with the players (as the SSS developers did prior to Empires: DOTW's release). It also creates a very positive image of the developers (unless they happen to be exceptionally immature and spend more time flaming "n00bz" than talking about their game:p).

Is there another forum that the developers frequent?

Sulikate
08-03-06, 01:02 PM
Well, there is the ubi forum, they probably frequent there too (I'm not sure about "too"). I think they should read these forums because they shows the player's opinion... and that is (or should br) important for them.

TDK1044
08-03-06, 01:10 PM
I guess that's my point really. I've always assumed that they receive the better ideas expressed here, but I have no evidence that they actually do.

Sulikate
08-03-06, 01:26 PM
I guess that's my point really. I've always assumed that they receive the better ideas expressed here, but I have no evidence that they actually do.
The lack of evidence they are watching us, the lack of evidence this game is making any progress, everything worries me.

Safe-Keeper
08-03-06, 01:45 PM
I'm convinced we're being watched over by the developers, God, a China tea-pot orbiting the Sun, and a sexy topless girl spirit. We just don't see them;).

All I have to say is, ask them at the upcoming interview.

rik007
08-03-06, 02:02 PM
With previous versions of SH that was the case indeed so I am sure they read these forums at least as much as we do.

Onkel Neal
08-03-06, 03:55 PM
Subsim was closely involved with SH2 and SH3 all during the development cycle. We were the first to see SH3 at E3, and we were given a beta to preview at the Subsim meeting in Oct. 2005, the first hands-on preview of the game by several months. In one website's interview you can see a Subsim Battle Mug sitting on the programmer's desk ;)

SH4 is underway with the same dev team, Ubisoft Romania, and the dev team read the Subsim forums and they listen to your input. At their request, Subsim is running a survey to get your preferences. Like a good sub, you don't know they are here until they surface.

Safe-Keeper
08-03-06, 04:16 PM
Great to hear that, Neal.

Sulikate
08-03-06, 06:08 PM
Great to hear that, Neal.
:yep: :yep: :yep:

TDK1044
08-04-06, 05:44 AM
Subsim was closely involved with SH2 and SH3 all during the development cycle. We were the first to see SH3 at E3, and we were given a beta to preview at the Subsim meeting in Oct. 2005, the first hands-on preview of the game by several months. In one website's interview you can see a Subsim Battle Mug sitting on the programmer's desk ;)

SH4 is underway with the same dev team, Ubisoft Romania, and the dev team read the Subsim forums and they listen to your input. At their request, Subsim is running a survey to get your preferences. Like a good sub, you don't know they are here until they surface.

Excellent news. I hoped that was the case, Neal.:up:

Wilko
08-05-06, 01:26 AM
I liked the idea of the sexy topless girl spirit :o :lol:

Drebbel
08-05-06, 02:02 AM
Yes, the DEVs visit these forums, that has already been confirmed many time. Some of them are long standing members, others joined just a couple of months ago.

The General
08-05-06, 06:08 AM
I don't wanna put a downer on things but I tried to access the Ubisoft Romaina website and it seems it doesn't exist!? I wanted to write them directly a big, long letter about what we'd like to see in SHIV. Maybe they went bankrupt and Ubisoft has moved the project elsewhere, maybe they've gone underground?:|\\

Sailor Steve
08-05-06, 10:49 AM
I think they've taken the attitude that if anyone can write, everyone will write, and there will be no game as the next seven years will be taken up answering letters from individuals instead of working on the game.

That's why they do interviews and encourage us to give Neal questions we would like answered. That's also why they read these forums.

To quote W.C. Fields: "Go 'way, boy, you bother me!"

Safe-Keeper
08-05-06, 11:16 AM
I don't wanna put a downer on things but I tried to access the Ubisoft Romaina website and it seems it doesn't exist!? I wanted to write them directly a big, long letter about what we'd like to see in SHIV. Maybe they went bankrupt and Ubisoft has moved the project elsewhere, maybe they've gone underground?:|\\They've submerged. They'll surface when ready.

I'd be very surprised if Ubisoft just suddenly died. I've heard of no financial problems on their end.

TwistedFemur
08-05-06, 05:11 PM
The lack of evidence they are watching us, the lack of evidence this game is making any progress, everything worries me.

could be that they are too busy.....ever think of that?

Sulikate
08-05-06, 06:26 PM
I guess that's my point really. I've always assumed that they receive the better ideas expressed here, but I have no evidence that they actually do. The lack of evidence they are watching us, the lack of evidence this game is making any progress, everything worries me.

could be that they are too busy.....ever think of that?
I try to.:-?

The General
08-06-06, 06:00 AM
I've read that during the production of SH3 the original team had to shelve the project for some time, to sort out some financial issues and/or 'Corporate Restructuring'. This is why I know, despite many of you arguing with me, that SH3 wasn't finished when they put it out. They needed some quick cash for that particular tax year or something. I offer as proof the fact there was supposed to be a proper mission structure delivered via the Radio message system, but the team didn't have time to implement it and thus, you just get the 'proceed to grid reference blah, blah for 24 Hours' etc.

On the bright side, what was finished was great and there was room for some great Mods etc, which I hope to see more of in the near future, 'cos I believe there is still room for improvement.

Sailor Steve
08-06-06, 02:48 PM
I've read that during the production of SH3 the original team had to shelve the project for some time, to sort out some financial issues and/or 'Corporate Restructuring'. This is why I know, despite many of you arguing with me, that SH3 wasn't finished when they put it out. They needed some quick cash for that particular tax year or something. I offer as proof the fact there was supposed to be a proper mission structure delivered via the Radio message system, but the team didn't have time to implement it and thus, you just get the 'proceed to grid reference blah, blah for 24 Hours' etc.

On the bright side, what was finished was great and there was room for some great Mods etc, which I hope to see more of in the near future, 'cos I believe there is still room for improvement.
It's nice to say things like "I know", but the game wasn't 'shelved' due to financial issues or 'Corporate Restructuring'. That was true of SHII, but SHIII was delayed due to other reasons, which were directly connected to the mission system.

For my viewpoint on that delay, see here:
http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=96400&page=2&highlight=career+campaign+dynamic

The General
08-06-06, 03:06 PM
I could be wrong though
You are wrong.

Sailor Steve
08-06-06, 03:12 PM
Okay, the fact that I was there at the time means nothing. When you get through looking down your nose at me, show me the facts.

The General
08-06-06, 03:48 PM
Sailor Steve, you are older than me and with all due respect, you said: 'I could be wrong.' Which means you were not certain. I am certain, SH3 was not finished when released.

Sailor Steve
08-06-06, 05:18 PM
Gotcha. I can't argue with that summation, because I agree. I was differing on the reasons for the delay.

And I always say "Of course, I could be wrong", because if there's one thing I've learned, it's that the old saying is true: "The more I know, the more I find the less I know".