PDA

View Full Version : Would you pay more for an extensive manual?

Safe-Keeper
06-25-06, 09:10 PM
I ranted earlier about the decline of the manuals that come with games, and I wanted to see how many people agree. My dream SHIV package:
The game disc (optional, but would be rather nice to have).
Historical footage (on the DVD).
Extensive manual detailing every feature of the game, including some strategies.
Historical manual detailing vessels, events, nations, leaders, weapons, combat, doctrine, organization, strategy, blueprints, flotillas, famous subs, ships, and captains, museum/web site recommendations for third party research, and so on.
Reference maps, tables, etc.
Maybe some tiny thing like a sticker, pin, or whatever.Believe it or not, even if all this amounted to up towards $70, I'd still buy it.

Agrippa
06-25-06, 09:52 PM
YES, YES, YES! In another thread I mentioned how I paid more for the Dangerous Waters manual, and I think you were the one who responded to that. Anyway, like you I'd pay 70$ if necessary. I think detailed manuals, with extra content (historical, technical, etc.) are necessary with serious sims, and the decline of manual quality in the past 5 years or so is a terribly sad thing.

So everyone vote Yes in this thread, and maybe we'll get a manual that actually tells us things we need and want to know!

Safe-Keeper
06-25-06, 09:53 PM
So everyone vote Yes in this thread, and maybe we'll get a manual that actually tells us things we need and want to know!That was my intent. Busted;).

But by all means, vote honestly still.

Onkel Neal
06-25-06, 10:52 PM
I already know more about the subject than any game developer manual could offer. Most of you do, too. :)

nikimcbee
06-26-06, 12:46 AM
I already know more about the subject than any game developer manual could offer. Most of you do, too. :)

I voted yes, because I like cool manuals...but not to be rude:doh: go to the library. I recommend: Silent Victory, by Clay Blair or Pigboats, by Theodore Roscoe (aka US sub operations during WW2):up: Multimedia footage would be cool (like on the original SH or AotD) I met the cook of the USS Barb, I wish I could find him again, if he's still alive.:o If it's TDC stuff you want, buy a trigonometry book. I bought the DW manual, because modern naval warfare is a pretty complex subject.:88)

DeepSix
06-26-06, 07:03 AM

Good point. On the other hand, if it came with a facsimile inclusion of The Fleet Type Submarine, I wouldn't mind.:D

STEED
06-26-06, 07:13 AM
Why pay extra for a extended manual which is bound to be full of waffle and stuff that makes no sense. Stick with books or the internet for the info you want. :smug:

U-Bones
06-26-06, 07:49 AM
Why pay extra for a extended manual which is bound to be full of waffle and stuff that makes no sense. Stick with books or the internet for the info you want. :smug:

Agree, the devs should stick to documentation - listing what key does what in the game and what not.

NEON DEON
06-26-06, 08:47 AM
I used to go into the store and identify old Microprose games by picking up the box. They were always much heavier than most other PC games due to their extensive manuals that came with game. TF 1942 even came with an American or flip it over Japanese recognition book. It was kewl. And-------, if you are not a sub guru like me, then you would be quite happy with all the documentation the game provides you on purchase.

So, for the general public and me, I voted yes to I would pay more for a better manual. :up: :up: :up: :)

Safe-Keeper
06-26-06, 10:13 AM
Why pay extra for a extended manual which is bound to be full of waffle and stuff that makes no sense. Stick with books or the Internet for the info you want. :smug:The Firefight Reference Guide wasn't full of waffle:p.

STEED
06-26-06, 10:23 AM
Why pay extra for a extended manual which is bound to be full of waffle and stuff that makes no sense. Stick with books or the Internet for the info you want. :smug:The Firefight Reference Guide wasn't full of waffle:p.

Cheek:p :up:

DeepSix
06-26-06, 10:23 AM

Well, that depends - is there syrup for the waffles?:p (Sorry for waffling the thread a little....)

Safe-Keeper
06-26-06, 10:47 AM
I prefer booklet over printed Web site any day. Lots easier to handle. So there's that advantage, too.

Sailor Steve
06-26-06, 12:16 PM
I still have my Their Finest Hour manual, and the game too. It's fun to look at, even if I do know a lot of the stuff. There's always more, and I'd be willing to pay for it.

Rosencrantz
06-26-06, 03:28 PM
Neal wrote:

Can't say that better. Orig. doc's, I mean RL manuals would be something but that's something we won't see, at least not printed. Like steed wrote: let's find books and use the net.

-RC-

Highbury
06-26-06, 03:42 PM
I still have my Their Finest Hour manual, and the game too. It's fun to look at, even if I do know a lot of the stuff. There's always more, and I'd be willing to pay for it.

Exactly. I still have most of my old ones for the good games if it was a good manual. I'll even bet that most of the ppl who say it is not necessary with books, internet etc have a few around still that they couldn't part with even though they have more detailed books on the topic.

Immacolata
06-28-06, 09:50 AM

Exactly. I still have most of my old ones for the good games if it was a good manual. I'll even bet that most of the ppl who say it is not necessary with books, internet etc have a few around still that they couldn't part with even though they have more detailed books on the topic.

I don't care any more. I used to love good manuals. I'd be happy to see one, but pay extra? Nah, feels like being one of those fools buying "collector's editions". I'd just worry too much about having paid extra for paper when I know they shipped a buggy game.

Immacolata
06-28-06, 09:51 AM
I prefer booklet over printed Web site any day. Lots easier to handle. So there's that advantage, too.

Make your own then :) I do not care for paper booklets, rather printable data sheets if anything.

rls669
06-28-06, 07:13 PM
A decent manual should be a given, not something to pay extra for. How about Ubi gives us a good manual for SH4, and a rebate to apologize for the embarrassment that was the SH3 manual.

don1reed
06-28-06, 08:45 PM
Safe Keeper,

I see you don't have a choice for HELLNO!

...being an old curmudgeon and cheap bastar_ as well...thats where I'd place my vote.

Remembering back a cupla years, here at Subsim, I can't tell you how many times, both noobs 'n salts alike, have asked stupid questions re SHII and SHIII where the answers were plainly hidden in the MANUAL...or the readme files...and it's still happening today :shifty: You can give your money away if you please, but...

edit: It's just as easy to show up here and learn all you need to know.

...so to all who say "buy a book"...this Bud's for you:up:

Drebbel
06-28-06, 11:45 PM
If I had to choose between more letters (extra manual) or more code (extra features) I would definately choose more features.

There are zillion very good books about the submarine war in the Pacific. No need for the devs to do that all over.

An extensive manual would be nice, especially for new comers. But for me personally I want lines of code. Books & maps I can buy in the bookstore or find on the web.

Just buy the standard work about the US sub war (writting by Th. Roscoa), then you have all you want. Maps, text, tactics, vessels, events, nations, leaders, weapons, combat, doctrine, organization, strategy...... etc

Title is "United States Submarine Operations in World War II". New you can get it for 40$ and second hand for as litle as 10$, that leaves 65 $ for a subsim with extra lines of code :D

Rilder
06-29-06, 11:19 AM
I wouldnt mind some extra stuff for the game, like strategies and stuff but just that, I dont need to have a buncha mumbo jumbo on what really happened, i'l go to the damn libary if I wanted to know about actual submarine history :-?

Harry Buttle
07-09-06, 02:52 AM
Given how fast patches can obsolete a printed manual, I'd go for a .pdf manual set up to go into a 3 ring binder, that way updates can be addressed by a 'delete page 3 and 4, print and insert these pages' process.

Drebbel
07-09-06, 02:56 AM
Given how fast patches can obsolete a printed manual, I'd go for a .pdf manual set up to go into a 3 ring binder, that way updates can be addressed by a 'delete page 3 and 4, print and insert these pages' process.

Great idea. I love it.

A printable manual.

Complete with a cover that looks like it is a real WWII manual, stains on pages and graphical damage to some pages

:up:

Eichenlaub
08-06-06, 07:44 AM
I certainly prefer bigger and more detailed manuals. However, when offered the choice between historical manual and game manual, I too would have to vote for the game manual. That's the book that will help me play the game. The history I can find elsewhere. I don't mind paying some extra euros to get decent manuals, but 70 euros for a game is so much I'd have to wait several months for prices to fall so I could afford it - computer games aren't my only hobby you know.

I purchased SHIII (DVD version) for 20 euros and the game was less than one year old. I would happily pay double that for a good manual a la CAOD, but not much more.

Microprose usually got it right with their games and manuals, a shame such standards are slipping. Silent Service II had an excellent manual including an overview of the naval war in the Pacific.

Kind regards,

Eichenlaub

liuzg150181
08-06-06, 09:43 AM
Obviously for a game of such depth I'd rather pay more for the manual.

don1reed
08-06-06, 10:06 AM
Hello all.

I am not for paper manuals, unless...

they cost about $20 USD...

found in trendy booksellers' shelves, along with other items of that ilk...

such as...

http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j42/donhreed/dummies-2.jpg

Everything you need to know about any GAME you purchase is in the read-me files. SHIII had the "Naval Academy" to run you through finding out which computer key did what. Do you really need to have a "book" to learn that? After a few sea-trials you get pretty dang familiar with the keyboard, dontcha? :shifty:

not to offend anyone here...but really, everything you need to know about WWII submarines games/simulations etc...is already in print and is easily found at SUBSIMS.COM

EDIT: Instead of :huh: at the gals, you should have been paying more attention to the math teacher. (Doh! Now he tells me!!!)
Statistics show that you'll eventually breakup with your wife and/or girlfriend for a lot of reasons, one of which, for playing SubSims into the wee hours...
a manual is just another thing they're going to throw in the trash before you can get a court order to...oh well, you get the idea.

Cheers :D

Brewtality
08-06-06, 10:06 AM

I know... but I still like to read it once more just to be sure the GAME knows what it's doing :p