PDA

View Full Version : Ship/Sailing Discussion (split thread)

clive bradbury
06-09-06, 05:05 PM
Anyone sail virtual skipper 4 here? Great harbour graphics, and getting in and out under sail is pretty demanding. Not to mention the racing...

Skybird
06-11-06, 06:23 AM
Anyone sail virtual skipper 4 here? Great harbour graphics, and getting in and out under sail is pretty demanding. Not to mention the racing...
I thought about getting it, and saw the video
http://www.virtualskipper-game.com/de/index_vsk4.htm
which looks absolutely stunning and marvellous. However, the moment when I learned that it is Starforce infested was the moment when it immediately died for me. Too bad, it looked very promising.

Mau
06-11-06, 03:03 PM
Ok I am a bit confuse here,

We are talking about three different games:

-Virtual sailor;
-Virtual skipper and
-the new (not so new) Ship Sim

I was looking at having Virtual Sailor but the demo is not showing us much (since it last just for a couple minutes) but looks not too bad.

May be somebody who has it can comment.
Most important I would like to know if it is possible to have two independant engines (so that we can do opposed engines manoeuvre).
As well can we dock and use somekind of lines?

Would greatly appreciate any comments
Thank you

Sonarman
06-11-06, 04:29 PM
I was looking at having Virtual Sailor but the demo is not showing us much (since it last just for a couple minutes) but looks not too bad.

May be somebody who has it can comment.
Most important I would like to know if it is possible to have two independant engines (so that we can do opposed engines manoeuvre).
As well can we dock and use somekind of lines?

Hi Mau

Virtual Sailor does not yet have the two engine setup although word is it's coming very soon i.e in the next beta.

VS does not yet have mooring lines although it does now have tow ropes for tugs

I've tried all three merchant ship sims, in my humble opinion...

VS is the most wide ranging and open ended of the games at present, supported by a fantastic user base including our own TLAM Strike and Red Ocktober who have produced literally hundreds of addons. On the negative side the physics dont feel quite right and the damage modelling is not very good.

Ship Simulator appears to have better physics (including twin engine control) but very little user modding at the moment. It's good to see that ships are locked until missions are undertaken and completed gives an impetus to continue playing.

Ports of Call sim 3d v2 is the best for docking maneuvers as you are required to put the ship into a certain spot and damage occurs to your vessel should you hit or run aground, which incurs a financial penalty in the ship management portion of the game. Its not quite a complete game yet, but it's playable and ever evolving and being heavily influenced by the ideas of the users.

Please don't do as Kurushio suggests and wait until these games hit the bargain bin, these are games by small indie developers who need our support, we are a niche market (naval sims) inside a niche market (sims) on an already marginalised platform (PC).Only we can ensure that these games continue to grow and make sequels commercially viable.

Mau
06-11-06, 05:12 PM
Hi,

I would like to know if it worth it to buy Virtual Sailor (I am not talking here of Virtual Skipper or the new/not so new Ship Sim).

Any comments from somebody who owns it?
can we have independant engines control (like for doing opposed engines manoeuevre?)

Thank you

Mau
06-11-06, 05:18 PM
Thank you very much Sonarman.

Appreciate that a lot.

Now as well I am sure we can incorporate something similar with DW as per the FFG Skipper coming to pier (like going close enough a pier and stay there for, let say 5 seconds) and the script would then tell us that we successfullly dock...

Just some ideas.

So if I have to go with one, you suggest Virtual sailor?

Sonarman
06-11-06, 06:06 PM
It's a difficult choice as all three are slightly different beasts, I have so far purchased Ports of call and Virtual Sailor and tried the Ship Sim demo

Virtual sailor is certainlly the biggest with the most addons and a large community. It really depends what you are looking for I view Virtual Sailor as being similar to MS Flight Sim there is a lot there but there is no driving force pushing the game along, you make your own fun, no missions or challenges. The cheapest game of the three Virtual Sailor is only $25. Note that it might be worth waiting until V7 is released so you don't have to pay again. www.avsim.com/vs (http://www.avsim.com/vs)

"Ports of Call" is also open ended, but a Tycoon style game, the player's goal is making money and building the largest fleet. At is core, it is a ship management game with optional 3d or 2d simulation elements eg docking, navigating through icebergs rescuing survivors etc. The full version is about $49 www.portsofcall.de (http://www.portsofcall.de)

Ship Simulation 2006 is I believe going to be mission based complete a mission unlock a ship, kind of thing which gives the player a goal to achieve. It's got 40 missions plus you can create your own, I think it's early days for this sim but it has potential. And it is a good buy at only $38 approx. www.shipsim.com (http://www.shipsim.com)

Great idea on DW by the way.

Mau
06-14-06, 03:53 AM
Great Sonarman, you were right!!

Version 7 beta 3 of Virtual Sailor (that was out yesterday) has now Independant multi engine control!!!!

As soon as the oficial version 7 is out and available, then for sure I will buy it!!

Sonarman
06-14-06, 02:44 PM
Great Sonarman, you were right!!

Version 7 beta 3 of Virtual Sailor (that was out yesterday) has now Independant multi engine control!!!!

As soon as the oficial version 7 is out and available, then for sure I will buy it!!

Thanks Mau, hope you enjoy it.

NeonSamurai
06-17-06, 03:55 PM
Split this thread so you can discuss the various sailing/ship sims available or soon to be here :)