PDA

View Full Version : SH4 should come with a SDK

hardcampa
06-14-06, 09:54 AM
This is what I believe would be an enormous asset for the creative subsim community: As I have no doubt that the devs realise the subsimmers are a creative (if somewhat wierd) bunch; one of the important things for them in SH IV would be a SDK:
Allowing talented programmers and designers to make complete mods for the SH IV game. The longivety of the game would be assured.

The SDK would allow us for example: to completely rewrite what we don't like, to change every aspect of every object in the game, with new code to go along.
It should also allow us to add buttons, or dialog boxes with our own code running in the background. Thus allowing us to create the tools we want.
If a ship seems to misbehave, fine, we can ourselves change the code, improve the AI etc.

As no game is complete on release, this would ensure the community and the subsimmers got what they needed in the end - a game that could be shaped by them - beyond what the stock code tells us what we are allowed to do.

Should add: Perhaps include the boosts python parser as well, http://www.boost.org/libs/python/doc/
I assume you're using C++ for the development. This way we can have a strong script language for Silent Hunter IV.
No need for you guys (the devs) to reinvent the wheel.
Battlefield 2 and Civilization IV uses it for example, allowing the user to script events and whathaveyou.