PDA

View Full Version : New game: The art of war

Skybird
06-11-06, 05:55 PM
Anyone knowing this game, version two and one, that is? Version three now available. I like hex-counter-games, but don't know what to make of this.

http://www.matrixgames.com/games/game.asp?gid=317

bradclark1
06-11-06, 08:37 PM
You're kidding right? This is the holy grail of hex based war games back in it's day.
Try pricing The Art of War, A Century of Warfare.
I don't know about this one. AI's have become more complex since this was out. It might be too simplistic for nowadays. Someone needs to buy it and let us know what it's like.

bradclark1
06-11-06, 08:39 PM
All of the Classic TOAW scenarios from Century of Warfare are included, along with 130 of the best scenario designs of the last 5 years.

I don't know. I hear a calling.

DeepSix
06-11-06, 10:46 PM
Might be a good idea to give it some time and let the bugs come to light. See how well the inevitable problems are addressed and dealt with. See if things actually get fixed with patches.

Looks very interesting, though. Hope it's good.

Torplexed
06-12-06, 12:37 AM
I played it when it first appeared as a Talonsoft title in the late nineties. Wasn't too impressed with it then.

Skybird
06-12-06, 04:29 AM
Seems I need to make a mental note of it. Is this a good year for hexfield games? This title now, and hopefully at the end of the year: World in Flames? :D

Skybird
06-12-06, 09:00 AM
You're kidding right? This is the holy grail of hex based war games back in it's day.
Try pricing The Art of War, A Century of Warfare.
I don't know about this one. AI's have become more complex since this was out. It might be too simplistic for nowadays. Someone needs to buy it and let us know what it's like.

That someone will probably be me. Amongst others, I played "Third World War" series by GDW, Gulf Strike and Aegean Strike by Victory Games in those years back then. I always searched for a good PC-equivalent to these. I think this may be it.

Egan
06-12-06, 12:36 PM
I have ACOW and it is ok - I just don't really like hex based games.

Matrix, though, have also just released 'Conquest in the Aegean', the follow up to 'Highway to the Reich' which is one of the best war games I have ever played. The AI is brilliant and the command and control system is second to none.