PDA

View Full Version : Water texture

DivingWind
06-09-06, 12:22 PM
Do we need new water texture for DW? Hell yes!

LuftWolf
06-10-06, 12:54 AM
The question is not if we need it, but how the heck would one change it and would it cause other problems.

I don't know diddly about the graphics aspects of anything other than what files are associated with what (loosely).

If you could retexture the water, I'd go for something translucent or clear.

DivingWind
06-10-06, 09:44 AM
It's been done with Subcommand!

OneShot
10-04-07, 09:46 AM
The water texture can be changed, no biggie ... that modification is actually included in the LwAmi Mod nowadays. However thats only a change of the BMP file, things like transparency and such are prolly out of the realm of modding because thats something the Grafikengine handles.

Molon Labe
10-04-07, 11:40 AM
As oneshot says, I'd be all in favor of transparent water, but a cosmetic change to how the water looks is a waste of effort.

The water is the best-looking graphical feature of the sim as it is now anyways--it even has a really cool reflective property. I think graphics are a low priority to begin with, but if you're going to do work on graphics, shouldn't the focus be on the really horrible looking parts? I'd look at animations first (e.g. more realistic smoke/fire effects, removing smoke trails from cruising/coasting missiles), then models, and only after that the environmental graphics... and I'd do land before water b/c the land textures are so far behind.

Edit: wait, oneshot! why did you revive this thread after it was dead for 16 months! Sigh, never mind....

OneShot
10-04-07, 03:30 PM
Oops, didnt look at the date of the last post. The thread just came up on the search for new posts.

Delareon
10-04-07, 04:46 PM
i think ANY improvement of the game graphics is a step forward.
Its a Naval Simulation so water is an important part of the game.
if OneShot is able to do a better water texture so why not?
if anybody else is able to do better models, animations and so on, go ahead.
There is no need to wait until somebody else improves animations or models
before somebody can improve the water graphics.
LWAMI still have improvements of the graphics but if somebody can do it better, just
do it. Maybe the LWAMI guy will use it for theyre package.

OneShot
10-05-07, 05:56 AM
I've never said I did it ... actually it was one of the first mods (if not the first mod) for DW ... and it was done by Kegetys. Both his water mod and the fonts mod have been included in the LwAmi package since I think 3.06.

Orret
10-05-07, 01:36 PM
Yes!
And ear water by the submarines are on surface

captcav
11-06-07, 06:26 PM
I wouldnt want to change the texture that we've got, rather add on top of it. Just like VS7, we need to have white caps on the water, this would bring a huge level of realism to the game with only very small frame rate loss!

Would this be an option?

Captcav

captcav
11-12-07, 11:55 PM
*BUMP*