PDA

View Full Version : Tank Boardgames: Anyone play any?

Konovalov
06-09-06, 07:03 AM
Do any tanksimmers here still play any strategy armoured warfare boardgames say from back in the 80's or 90's. The boardgames that I used to play were Panzer Leader and Panzer Blitz which were obviously WW2 based boardgames made by Avalon Hill. The other armoured warfare boardgames that I played and indeed still own are Assault along with it's additions Boots and Saddles, Bundeswehr, and I think one other addition. I will have to look at them when I get home to see who made them. Anyway just curious if anyone owned or still does any of the old style boardgames anymore. :)

joea
06-09-06, 09:07 AM
I had squad leader, but never found anyone to play with so gave up board games.:nope: Now that I have internet and games like Steel Pnthers World at War I have been battling online for awhile now. Not much time at the moment but it is fun. :arrgh!:

Skybird
06-09-06, 02:09 PM
Assault, Boots&Saddles and Bundeswehr also for me. I never came to get the module on the British Rhine army. Liked that game design, but don'T play it anymore. Back in those days, late 80s, in Germany you were considered to be suspicious when playing wargames. Germans have a very different attitude to war and military than let's say British or americans, we are much more shy about it - at least, we were, but it is changing. Closest PC game to Assault that I play today, with enthusiasm, is Steel Panthers Main Battle Tanks for Windows. I had Tokyo Express and Ambush! as well, but somehow didn't play them much although they were especially designed for solitaire playing.

Konovalov
06-10-06, 02:12 PM
Assault, Boots&Saddles and Bundeswehr also for me. I never came to get the module on the British Rhine army. Liked that game design, but don'T play it anymore.

Exactly the same for me. I didn't get the British addon but Idid purchase another add-on titled Reinforcements. I too thought it was a good design.

Skybird
06-10-06, 04:38 PM
My favourite game was the Third World War series by GDW. the German and Balkan module was very playable, but the Scandinavian and the Gulf module did not get me hooked that much. I liked the heavy traffic in the first two modules much better.You certainly know that World in Flames, an Australian design, gets converted into a PC version, hoped to be released end of this year? They even mimic the design of the counters, making the program look like a real table top. I plan to get it, but maybe not the first version. These kind of projects all too often need too many details get repaired before they are in a stable and functional state.

Gawen
06-17-06, 07:59 PM
I played ASL for about 4 years until, I moved to Texas...where no one is concerned about such trivial matters...:cry:

And there was also Panzer Blitz and Panzer Commander and Blitzkreig, and all the others I can't remember.

I played a bunch of micro-armour and still have about $600.00 in pieces.

Quite frankly, I like these games better than PC games. I always played the German side....and there's so much more to think about.

I miss it.

{{edited to add}} I prefer the squad-battalion level games.