PDA

View Full Version : Silent steel by S. Johnson

UglyMowgli
05-27-06, 04:39 PM
This book is the story of the USS Scorpion the nuclear submarine lost at sea in 1968.
We follow the last months of the ship before is last mission in Mediteranean sea with a lot of informations about the lack of maintenance, the crew morale, the problems meets aboard.
The second parts is dedicated to the search of the ship and the differents probable causes of it lost. The author take a look at all the causes (from a trash disposal unit failure to the explosion of the battery) and explain why they can't or can be one which cause the sinking.
he also break in piece the Craven's idea about the torpedo explosion or hot start.
He conclude thaht the real cause is unknow at this time.

Linton
05-29-06, 03:40 AM
I read this book a couple of months ago and thought it was well written and researched,but the fact that the actual cause is still unknown leaves the reader wanting by the end of the book.The author investigates a number of possibilities but does not really give you his best guess .The book is relatively cheap and I would recommend it.http://www.midiowanews.com/site/tab1.cfm?newsid=16679508&BRD=2700&PAG=461&dept_id=554314&rfi=6 I just found this about one of the crew: