PDA

View Full Version : Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea!

Driftwood
05-12-06, 01:51 PM
For all you old timers out there, last weekend I picked up the first season DVD set of "Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea............Starring Richard Basehart..........David Hedison......" Ah-h-h-h-h the memories. :D I hope the next season is released....not sure when they went to color.

Sailor Steve
05-14-06, 04:03 PM
Do you have the theatrical movie as well? Barbara Eden, yum!

STEED
05-14-06, 04:24 PM
Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea that brings back memories I remember watching it during the school holidays. Don't forget the flying sub out of this world great show for it's time. :up:

Driftwood
05-15-06, 05:42 AM
Do you have the theatrical movie as well? Barbara Eden, yum!

I'm sorry to say no. I've seen it available in DVD as a combo with Fantastic Voyage but I've held off. This was an impulse buy. Happened to see it on the shelf at Best Buy and had to have it! :up:

FIREWALL
01-22-07, 08:23 PM
Hi SS

My brother just brought me home Voyage to the Bottom of the SEA.
with Walter Pidgeon. The Movie. Saw your post 5-06 and thought
you would get a kick out of this. Gonna watch this tonight with a
big bucket of popcorn. Just love the classic's :)

Torplexed
01-22-07, 08:40 PM
I'd love to have the Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea theme music for my U-Boat gramaphone track...anachronistic as it may be. :cool:

waste gate
01-22-07, 09:42 PM
I'd love to have the Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea theme music for my U-Boat gramaphone track...anachronistic as it may be. :cool:

You can get the opening scene theme music as a wave from this site.

http://www.geocities.com/TelevisionCity/2044/

Torplexed
01-22-07, 11:07 PM
Thanks! It's short but sweet. :cool:

Captain Nemo
01-23-07, 08:21 AM
For all you old timers out there, last weekend I picked up the first season DVD set of "Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea............Starring Richard Basehart..........David Hedison......" Ah-h-h-h-h the memories. :D I hope the next season is released....not sure when they went to color.

I enjoyed this series myself as a kid in the late sixties early seventies. The first season in b/w I thought had more credible storylines whereas when it turned to colour in the second season it went more over to sci-fi storylines. The second season also saw the introduction of the flying sub.

Nemo

Iron Budokan
02-10-07, 10:38 PM
As far as the theatrical movie went...I could eat Barbara Eden with a spoon.

I remember watching the TV series as a boy. Heck, I even got a toy Seaview sub for Christmas that shot real torpedoes! Awesome. I don't remember much about the show...I remember one episode where a small diving bell was swallowed by a whale. I knew that it was stupid...but I still watched it.

These TV shows and the movie (along with Lost in Space) were produced by Irwin Allen...notoriously known for production qualities that would make you cringe. Later, he became known as the self-proclaimed king of the disaster movies in the 70s. They pretty much blew chunks too....

But Ms. Eden was hot, so he can be forgiven for a lot of the camp the thought was high art...

rman214
02-24-07, 06:27 PM
I am thinking of buying the first season. I wonder how many episodes are in the set?. As I remember the early part of the first season was pretty good then it started getting very corny using the exact same monsters and noises from Lost in Space. I have had one question since Voyage came out... why would a research sub carry nuclear missles??:arrgh!:

Torplexed
02-24-07, 06:47 PM
I have had one question since Voyage came out... why would a research sub carry nuclear missles??:arrgh!:
I think the idea was it was a research sub in peacetime...but could double as a boomer in wartime.

My favorite sound FX from Voyage was that relentless pock-pock-pock. Disaster lover that he was, I guess Irwin Allen was a big believer in running active sonar all the time. :lol:

Captain Nemo
02-28-07, 08:21 AM
I have had one question since Voyage came out... why would a research sub carry nuclear missles??:arrgh!:
I think the idea was it was a research sub in peacetime...but could double as a boomer in wartime.

My favorite sound FX from Voyage was that relentless pock-pock-pock. Disaster lover that he was, I guess Irwin Allen was a big believer in running active sonar all the time. :lol:

Yep I remember the active sonar sounds well. But don't you think that a lot of TV shows whenever a sub is involved seem to use this sound FX?

Nemo

Rykaird
04-01-07, 03:38 PM
I grew up on this series - this and Lost In Space.

There's a great U-Boat episode - well, two actually, with a ghost from a WWI U-Boat. He inhabits Crane's body, which comes with the major upside that Crane gets to wear a really cool leather U-Boat captain's jacket. The ghost is known as "The Phantom."

It was tough duty being on the Seaview. Werewolves, vampires, mummies, mutated lobsters, etc.

Sailor Steve
04-01-07, 04:59 PM
Just got back to this one. "Why would a research submarine carry nuclear missiles?"

That's easy, silly - because the scriptwriter said so! And they needed them, didn't they? See, he was right!:rotfl: