PDA

View Full Version : Playable Japanese Subs

bill clarke
04-21-06, 02:30 AM
Are any of you interested in this as an option/add on ?
I know that they really did not have much of an impact historically but, It would be a tremendous challenge, and imagine being off Savo island during the American invasion in 42.

Raelotu
04-21-06, 08:46 AM
If the Indianapolis was sunk a little sooner, the war might have been a little different.

bill clarke
04-22-06, 04:26 AM
If the Indianapolis was sunk a little sooner, the war might have been a little different.

I doubt that anything would've stopped that.

Rosencrantz
04-22-06, 10:03 AM
Excuse me, Raelotu, but have you ever heard about Hiroshima? :roll:

:-j :-j :-j

-RC-

DeepSix
04-22-06, 12:18 PM
I think what Raelotu means is that because Indy was the ship that carried the nukes to Tinian, they wouldn't have been dropped if she'd been sunk before she got there (she was actually sunk on the way home after).

But I doubt that it would have done anything but postpone the inevitable.

Marvin the Martian
04-25-06, 06:51 PM
Excuse me, Raelotu, but have you ever heard about Hiroshima? :roll:

:-j :-j :-j

-RC-

:o Oooo Oooo Oiooo can we Watch huh huh huh
Yes Nip subs for sure Pleeeeez.. :lol:

bookworm_020
04-25-06, 10:43 PM
Some japanese miget subs would be nice, maybe some british x-craft as well

GlowwormGuy
05-02-06, 02:34 AM
It would be good though frankly just having the possibility of modding the vessels to make them playable will be good. I hope that they take the best of the old subsims but add stuff like the SH2 world wide map and the capacity to mod other things in - like in the Total War series of games where you have a specific place but the possibility for additional stuff.

Mountbatten

STEED
05-02-06, 04:42 AM
Jap subs why not indeed sounds good. :cool:

FAdmiral
05-02-06, 10:05 AM
Lets put drivable DD's from both sides in the mix too....

JIM

zaza
05-03-06, 10:21 AM
I would like to handle I-360 class suplly sub
and I-56 Jyunsen type otu(B) class sub :up: :up: :up:

Threadfin
05-05-06, 02:54 PM
I want a good representation of US boats, but that said, I'd like to have Japanese boats too. They had some interesting and ingenious designs, excellent torpedos, some carried recon planes, and everyone knows about the bomber-carrying Sen Toku type. The Japanese had the fastest submerged sub (faster than XXI).

I think it would be outstanding to play the campaign from either side.

joea
05-05-06, 07:06 PM
I want this:

http://www.combinedfleet.com/sen_toku.htm

http://www.combinedfleet.com/images/sen_toku.gif

The big one of WWII. :smug:

DeepSix
05-06-06, 01:18 AM
For the record, I do not want Japanese subs in SH4. I just don't think there'd be anything to do after 1942. Historically, the Japanese subs were mostly pulled off offensive patrols in 1943 and sent off on resupply and evacuation missions. In all of '43, they only sank two or three USN ships; on the other hand, they lost about 20 boats in '42 and another 20-some in '43.

Driving a Japanese sub might be fun once or twice, but for me it's not something I'd want to keep coming back to and playing again.

Harry Buttle
05-06-06, 09:32 PM
a chance to see Ubi waste time and resources on a subject few are interested in. great.

if it got up it might just kill the SH franchise and all to give an absolute minimum number of players a chance to command some of the worst submarine designs of the war, under the worst doctrine, running the most boring missions, with some of the worst sensors, up against some of the best ASW forces in the world and all of it requiring massive computer power to model the huge allied convoys/amphib TFs and masses of ASW airpower.

There may just be a more worthless way for Ubi to spend their time and money, but just I can't see it.

Sulikate
05-06-06, 09:51 PM
I want this:

The big one of WWII. :smug:
me too :up:

Torplexed
05-07-06, 12:14 AM
I'm not sure I understand this fascination with commanding the Sen Toku White Elephant class. About as much fun as being at the helm of a jeep carrier. I don't think SH4 will be a flight sim, so you won't be flying the planes. :-?

Rosencrantz
05-07-06, 05:55 AM
Oh, right, sorry. I didn't remember Indy was conneted with nuke strikes. My apologies. But another side in discussion is the manners japs used their subs. You know... My opinition is Devs should keep the main target in the mind which is, I think, USN war against japanese traffic and naval units in the Pac. More units for player to drive doesn't mean the better game.

-RC-

DeepSix
05-07-06, 08:38 AM
More units for player to drive doesn't mean the better game.

That's a good way to put it. I think the "fun" of driving them would wear out very quickly. Having drivable Jap subs and drivable destroyers and so forth would, I think, eat up a lot of valuable programming and modeling time while producing very little positive in-game fun or usefulness in return. I honestly think they'd be more of a distraction than anything else.

[Thinking out loud] SH3 essentially does one thing quite well; since 4 will use the same engine, I think if too much gets packed into it, it'll lack the focus and stability of SH3 (and it's the focus that makes it work and gets the player "in character," IMO) and become an unwieldy monster that does no one thing particularly well.

Depending on how one breaks down the body of the U.S. sub fleet, there were at least five or six classes of U.S. subs that were used in the Pacific: V-class (Argonaut, Nautilus, etc.), S-class, Tambor, Perch, Salmon, and Gato/Balao. They operated everywhere from Manila to Mare Island and from Perth to Dutch Harbor.... Getting to play them in the wide variety of roles in which they were used historically would be quite enough to keep me happy. :D [/Thinking out loud]

Rosencrantz
05-07-06, 05:26 PM
Yep, DeepSix, I agree.

Also I would like to see everyone of us thinking twice before posting his own ideas / requests for SHIV. Of course this is open forum for discussion but I hope we won't forget we can give at least little help to Devs. I mean, when SHIII was coming first time, it didn't enclude dynamic campaign for example. Only because of us who react, release date was changed to get DC into the game. This is one great example how Devs are listening us too - but this means also certain responsibilty is laid upon us.

So, let's try to find out what's essential and which is not. :hmm:

-RC-

Threadfin
05-08-06, 09:05 AM
if it got up it might just kill the SH franchise and all to give an absolute minimum number of players a chance to command some of the worst submarine designs of the war, under the worst doctrine, running the most boring missions, with some of the worst sensors, up against some of the best ASW forces in the world and all of it requiring massive computer power to model the huge allied convoys/amphib TFs and masses of ASW airpower.

To each his own, but the challenge facing the Japanese sub crews is one the most appealing facets of having playable Japanese boats to me. I look at all the things you wrote and those are reasons I'd want to play them. A good sim is a way for me to learn about what those crews were up against, to 'walk a mile in their shoes' so to speak.

And I hope allied task forces and air power are in the sim regardless of whether the Jap boats are playable.

Harry Buttle
05-10-06, 01:02 AM
Then the cheapest and easiest way to walk a mile in their shoes is play SH3 and consider yourself sunk whenever you are detected, and for realism don't go deep or silent.

also remember to avoid allied vessels (just like Jap sub commanders did for most of the war).

bill clarke
05-11-06, 06:49 AM
Forget I asked

Threadfin
05-11-06, 09:13 AM
Then the cheapest and easiest way to walk a mile in their shoes is play SH3 and consider yourself sunk whenever you are detected, and for realism don't go deep or silent.

also remember to avoid allied vessels (just like Jap sub commanders did for most of the war).

What's the most expensive and most difficult way?

Regardless of this poster's opinion, I'd still like playable Japanese subs, cost be damned :D

zaza
05-11-06, 09:14 AM
Hmm,
For me suplly to isolated island with command Japanese submarine
is very very intersting and fun.

Yeah it was wrong way of using submarine,
But imagine in the noon sneak under tropical shallow sea,
imagine in the dark night handle submarine narrow on channel
what we can only seeing is star. :up: :up: :up:
Even if you saw big enemy ship we cant attack because we dont
have torpedo.We will taste chagrin.
But when we at last rach the Island, we will fell
joy and satisfaction.

I-8 went to germany form Japan.
It is not borring.Its very very endurance mission.
Japanese submarine went around the world.
West coarst, Australia, Indian ocean, Bearing sea and so on. :yep:

U-104
05-11-06, 03:11 PM
I want this:

The big one of WWII. :smug: :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o

rls669
05-13-06, 02:27 AM
Sweet Jeebus. Imagine launching a spread of 11 fish -- 8 from your tubes, and 3 from your torpedo bombers! :o

STEED
05-13-06, 07:36 AM
Yes the Japanese built some real big monster subs. :yep: