PDA

View Full Version : Making ships change speeds.

Ptroinks
03-24-06, 09:38 PM
I've read here on the forums that clicking on a waypoint and changing tactics won't work. Well, I seriously need some kind of work-around for that problem :). I'm trying to make a ship follow the course set by the waypoints (no problems there), but at a certain point, I want it to change its speed. I tried changing it for the next waypoint, but that didn't work. Will the ship change speed if I use a script?

And, by the way, after the weekend, I think I'll need a tester or two for a campaign I'm creating. Just to play through it, check for errors in my english, fix bugs that I haven't noticed so far etc... If you have a good imagination, that would help too. I've been working on the storyline for this one for such a long time now that I think I have exhausted my own imagination :D. If anyone wants to help, send me a PM!

MaHuJa
03-25-06, 02:59 PM
I tried changing it for the next waypoint, but that didn't work. Will the ship change speed if I use a script?

It should, but there's a slight problem: It will then keep that speed for the time specified. If nothing happens and it just trudges along, then calculating how long from length/speed, it will work, but if something happens then things won't go as planned. E.g. incoming torpedo, its evasive maneuvers might not override it - does anybody know?

(Expanding a bit on it, does anybody know what priority the script orders are at doctrine level?)

Miika
03-27-06, 02:50 AM
They do work, you can use goals (if ship enters one, its speed will then be changed). But like MaHuJa said, the priorities of scripts/doctrines etc. might create problems. In one of my mission there had been a reactor problem and the crew was leaving the sub, which was supposed to remain in surface. I ended up using 3 separate scripts, all of which were constantly re-triggering, to achieve this. Despite all my efforts the sub dived immediately after spotting the player's P-3. I suggest the only thing you can do is test...

Miika

LuftWolf
03-27-06, 04:35 PM
They do work, you can use goals (if ship enters one, its speed will then be changed). But like MaHuJa said, the priorities of scripts/doctrines etc. might create problems. In one of my mission there had been a reactor problem and the crew was leaving the sub, which was supposed to remain in surface. I ended up using 3 separate scripts, all of which were constantly re-triggering, to achieve this. Despite all my efforts the sub dived immediately after spotting the player's P-3. I suggest the only thing you can do is test...

Miika

I think if you set the Tactic in the mission editor to "Transit" the platform will be much more pliable to your commands and less likely to react to other platforms in the mission.

Miika
03-28-06, 04:57 AM
That about "transit" is true :up: , but in this peculiar case I used the "transit" tactic. (As far I can remember...) Nevertheless, I finally had to re-write the mission, with the sub sinking as a part of the mission. :damn:

It sure would be nice to be able to truly force the units to do something, but after some testing it usually is possible to find a (some sort of) working solution.

And thanks to LwAmimod, the AI units no longer need that much guidance. :up:

Miika