PDA

View Full Version : Sub Command vs Dangerous waters

Steve Cat
01-16-06, 03:38 PM
Am I better off tyring to lean Sub Comand first then move up to DW, I have both, if all I'm really interested in is Submarine operation...........I'm having a problem with the learning curve

Konovalov
01-16-06, 04:39 PM
Firstly I am yet to play DW. I played SC thoroughly over a few years with some mods. But if you have both games I would just go immediately to DW and not bother with SC.

DeepSixNiner
01-20-06, 07:04 PM
If commanding a nuclear attack submarine is your only true interest, and driving an ASW frigate or P-3 Orion is not your bag, then I would recommend you stick with Sub Command. I believe it to be a far more realistic sub simulation, and with the fantastic mods and updates, you have the ability to drive just about any submarine in the world, and hunt just about every possible target you can think of. These facts make the Sub Command mission designer virtually limitless in it's scope.

I play both, but when I play DW, it's because I want to hunt subs with an Orion or a Perry class frigate. If I want to drive a sub, I load up Sub Command without hesitation.

Cheers.

mike_espo
01-28-06, 12:57 PM
I have DW. I am thinking about getting sub command. I love to drive subs...both nukes and diesels. :D I like DW, but am a little disapointed in some sonar aspects of the sim.... TMA seems way too easy for one. Lack of layer for another. :down:

Does SC improve on these areas? Also, would love to drive a foxtrot or an Alfa..... :know:

DeepSixNiner
01-28-06, 01:25 PM
Sub Command far more accuratley simulates all aspects of submarine control, especially sonar. Thermal layers, convergence zones, and detection abilities are all simulated very well, especially with the SCX updates.

And with SCX and SCU, you have the ability to drive not only an Alfa, but just about every nuclear attack sub in the world, and a few conventional ones as well. Not sure if the Foxtrot is included in the SCU package, but you can command a Kilo and a Tango! The only thing missing from SC is the proper simulation of deisel submarines. You are not limited by battery power in SC, and this cannot be realistically simulated due to the limitations of the sim.

If you enjoy driving subs, there is nothing like Sub Command and SCXII.

Cheers.

Bill Nichols
01-28-06, 01:35 PM
Actually, Dangerous Waters (with the latest patch) has the better physics modeling, including better modeling of sonar thermal layers, etc. In my opinion, the only advantage Sub Command has over Dangerous Waters is the SCX mod (which adds many new ships/subs/etc. to SC).

Sea Demon
01-28-06, 10:29 PM
Actually, Dangerous Waters (with the latest patch) has the better physics modeling, including better modeling of sonar thermal layers, etc. In my opinion, the only advantage Sub Command has over Dangerous Waters is the SCX mod (which adds many new ships/subs/etc. to SC).

Which is precisely why I see DW as the future of this line of simulation. I'm counting on add-ons for the future of DW. I agree with the view that SC is a totally different simulation than DW with the inclusion of so many more assets in game (SCX).

The ability to fight Cold-War scenarios is the greatest reason I choose to keep SC on my machine for now. I love DW, and it is definitely my #1 game right now. But every now and then, I get the urge to go after a Soviet Tango SSN in my U.S. Permit Class SSN. That's why SC remains on my hard-drive.

Sea Demon

Bellman
01-29-06, 03:28 AM
:D I agree with Sea Demon - I keep trying to give up SCX11c but it keeps sneaking back.
As a 100% bubblehead I cant ignore all those superb scenarios. It aint right.

mike_espo: TMA seems way too easy for one. Does SC improve on these areas?
I still prefer SCs balance of imperfect auto TMA with my manual input supplementing.
The DW auto TMA is god-like, (Cheats?)

Yep DW is numero uno, but there is room for a number two. :up:
But Patch 1.03 and LwAmi will shortly, I hope, demand my complete focus on DW.

Bill Nichols
01-29-06, 08:18 AM
:D I agree with Sea Demon - I keep trying to give up SCX11c but it keeps sneaking back.
As a 100% bubblehead I cant ignore all those superb scenarios. It aint right.

Sub Command has never left my hard drive, for the same reasons Bellman and Sea Demon give :yep:

mike_espo
01-29-06, 02:38 PM
thanks guys! :D Have a chance to buy SC used for about 5 bucks.

So, in SC diesel boats are not limited by batteries? Too bad, but Ill drive the nukes until DW gets patched! :up:

sonar732
01-29-06, 09:27 PM
I like DW, but am a little disapointed in some sonar aspects of the sim.... Lack of layer for another. :down:

Do you have it updated to 1.03b with LWAM mod? I think you'll be pleasantly surprised.

mike_espo
01-29-06, 09:30 PM
I like DW, but am a little disapointed in some sonar aspects of the sim.... Lack of layer for another. :down:

Do you have it updated to 1.03b with LWAM mod? I think you'll be pleasantly surprised.

:huh: :huh: :hmm:

Bill Nichols
01-29-06, 09:41 PM

Even without LWAMI, the 1.03b version brought layers back big time.

mike_espo
01-29-06, 09:58 PM
Wow. Sounds good! :up: When will non-beta patch 1.03 be available?

TLAM Strike
01-29-06, 10:25 PM
Wow. Sounds good! :up: When will non-beta patch 1.03 be available? Feb 7th... ish... :ping:

Linton
01-31-06, 05:51 PM
Sub command all the way.At least I can drive my t-boat.Dw just freezes\or crashes all the time on my computer

Sea Demon
02-01-06, 06:18 AM
I also like driving the T-Boat. Loved that Perisher Campaign that was built for SC. :up:

sonar732
02-01-06, 07:19 AM
Sub command all the way.At least I can drive my t-boat.Dw just freezes\or crashes all the time on my computer

Have you posted your issues with the technical support forum of Sonalysts website?

http://www.sonalystscombatsims.com/phpBB/viewforum.php?f=2&sid=ed9d0372babcd6df3ef6715063e4604e

henrym
02-24-06, 02:22 PM
Hey all,

I'm a newbie to this game as I just got it last week and have a question or two.

I owned 688(i) Hunter/Killer and played it fairly casually going through the missions/campaign and creating one or two.

I just happened upon this forum which is a godsend since no one else seems to have any info on Sub Command anymore.

Then I saw the SCU and SCXII etc. program and topics on it and have tried to understand exactly what it is.

Anyway, on with the questions:

1. Is SCU, SCX, etc. just a mod program that allows you to play as a ton of different subs from around the world or is there more to it?

2. Are there enough people online to play in either co-op or vs. missions consistently and does everyone need the same amount of patching and/or mods? (I have the latest patch only)

3. Since I had to buy this game used, there is a chance the previous owner might have shared his CD-key with others and I was wondering if that would pose a problem.

henrym
02-24-06, 02:24 PM
I just realized how off-topic my previous post is so I think I'll start a new thread now.

Sorry about that.