PDA

View Full Version : Naval Sims?

Twitchy
12-03-05, 09:34 PM
Are there any decent naval sims out there? I mean where you can play as a battleship or something? I've been playing Navy Field for 25 hours straight and finally tore myself away after the difficult ramped up severely, but I am left empty, and wanting to blow more stuff up

VegaBond
12-03-05, 11:51 PM
They need to remake the old naval games in 90s...

CWorth
12-04-05, 12:10 AM
I'd love to see them remake the old Microprose "Task Force 1942"

Or even the old Great Naval Battles series of games.

Kapitan
12-04-05, 03:17 AM
Destroyer command is old but you can command a destroyer

Enigma rising tide again a tad old but you can command many vessels

dangerous waters can command a frigate or sub or air platforms

fleet command

harpoon series

there realy the only ones as for battle ships none have been made

Herman
12-04-05, 03:36 AM
Harpoon 3 just had a fellow, Tom Herron, create a database for WWII platforms. There aren't any scenarios available, yet, but that doesn't mean that you can't go ahead and try to create them. His database is very comprehensive and contains all the major surface units.

Gizzmoe
12-04-05, 03:51 AM
Topic moved.

horsa
12-04-05, 11:03 AM
Are there any decent naval sims out there? I mean where you can play as a battleship or something?

You can command a battleship in Destroyer Command . :up:

kiwi_2005
12-05-05, 01:51 PM
Fighting Steel. you can command a whole fleet of battleships. Good game.

fred8615
12-06-05, 04:08 PM
Fighting Steel. you can command a whole fleet of battleships. Good game.

Especially if you add on the free Fighting Steel Project from Naval Warfare Simulations ( http://www.navalwarfare.net/ ). It adds a lot more ships (including carriers, subs, and torpedo boats) to the four original navies; also add ships from the Soviet, French, Italian, and Dutch navies; and a lot more realism. Plus a ton of user created scenarios, both historical and fantasy. They also have a campaign simulator for FSP called Thunder At Sea.

Also, if you have Win XP Service Pack 2 and/or Direct X 9.0c, it's the only way you can play FS. Without FSP, you'll get a crash to desktop every time you try to change course.

NWS is also currently working on a new naval warfare game, Navies At War. It's only going to be 2D, not 3D like FS, but it will have far more ships, land, bigger battles allowed, and cover the era from 1890 to 1950. It won't be coming out until sometime next year though.