PDA

View Full Version : This russo-japanese war sim

XabbaRus
10-26-05, 09:22 AM
Any comments? Looks interesting.

bradclark1
10-26-05, 11:42 AM
I'm assuming you mean the one from Norm Koger at http://www.stormeaglestudios.com/public/home.html ?

Type941
10-26-05, 12:18 PM
I read about the Tsushima battle when i was a kid. It's very interesting period, and I love the old battleship with rams.

BUT.

The graphics level of environment in the screenshots, at this point, is unacceptable, sorry. I know it's tough to find a publisher for this niche game, but They gotta push the engine to do a bit more. It looks 2001.

XabbaRus
10-26-05, 02:25 PM
Yea the gfx did look a little ropey. Still looks fun.

Hellcat
10-26-05, 05:23 PM
ouch guys, I would'nt go so far with bashing the engine yet. What's the last game we had of this type of combat?

Thats right good old Fighting Steel which will cause you to temporarily lose your vision. This looks to be a huge improvement and I for one cannot wait for its release or some previews for that matter.

Sulikate
10-26-05, 06:13 PM
Well, the screens still look a bit poor, but I think that the game will have a nice historical background, and if they work the graphics a bit more, it will be a great sim :yep:

Pigfish
10-26-05, 07:10 PM
I will try out the free demo when released and hope I enjoy.

Im just happy there is a game out that deals with pre-dreadnaughts. :cool: I cant believe someone would even try it.

Very "niche market", to say the least. Time will tell and I hope it addictive.

jason10mm
10-27-05, 07:47 AM
looks interesting, hopefully the learning curve isn't TOO steep. The graphics aren't THAT bad, I was expecting something along the lines of "SALVO", but those screen shots are pretty detailed. THe water model might be a bit bland, but we'll have to wait and see. Hopefully this is just a teaser game until we can get some sort of WW1/WW2 sim out. I wanna see Jutland!! I suppose aircraft are a whole nuther programming headache though.

Hellcat
10-27-05, 01:24 PM
From looking at Storm Eagle's site, it looks like this is the first of several expanisons to the base engine. I rather like the concept of downloading and updating the game thur the net. Elimenates lots of issues. Especially if they include a auto updater.

Though STEAM is disliked by many users, it does one thing right. It takes all the issues of patching and keeping the software up to date out of the hands of the user. (which in many cases has no idea that patches are availble)

10-29-05, 11:53 AM
Any comments? Looks interesting.
Indeed it looks promesing.
No comments for now, just that i want to put my hands on the game play.

em2nought
11-01-05, 10:03 PM
Looks impressive to me, can't believe that the graphics aren't acceptable to most of you. I could care less about reflections on the water. In fact I don't like it, as it usually doesn't blend with the rest of the game anyway IMO.

Now the Steam like aspect, that I don't like. Give me patches that I can burn on a CDR, but then I'm on dial up.

Sixpack
11-02-05, 07:52 AM
I did some soul searching and concluded I have no desire whatsoever to play that game.

To each his own.

K.I.S.S. :know:

TteFAboB
11-02-05, 10:24 PM
It seems it has a realistic damage model and realistic ballistics to some extent, it's probably going to be a very fun game with crappy graphics, like the old games, and if it's fun indeed, then as far as I care it could have wire-frame graphics. :D

Hellcat
11-02-05, 10:37 PM
Exactly my point, many expect the games to look better and don't reallly give a damn about game play. Take a look at the last year of FPS and RTS game releases, now honestly how many of these games had unique gaming elements? Sure many of them had amazing graphics but nothing new is being done. Distant guns may not have the fancy graphics the majority of gamers crave, but it will certainly (based on Norm Koger's past games) evolve the surface combat genre rather than just rehash what we had with Fighting Steel or the GNB series from SSI.

Second point, I just ordered 2 HPS sims to play. Take a look at them, they're the poster child of turn based grand tactical gaming. Are they pretty? Hell no! Its not the sounds/graphics I'm buying them for, it's the depth of play they provide as well as the unique topics that they cover. With each game in the series adding some new rules and features it's a "living" engine which will be fun for years to come.....

I may have shot off on a tangent here though these trends cannot continue, gameplay must come first always. :yep:

CCIP
11-03-05, 12:03 AM
I think the graphics look serviceable enough. Perhaps we're expecting a bit too much from a wargame - when have you last seen a wargame that looked up to par om looks?

Then again, I still play the Combat Mission games every once a while, and the graphics don't turn me off more than just a tiny little bit. And this is ages ahead.

I'm intrigued. I'll wait for some first reviews, but what I see right now strikes me as something I'd really want to play. :)