PDA

View Full Version : H5N1

Jesper
10-22-05, 06:32 AM
If spreeing around Europe, most recent discoveries were made in Croatia in a couple dead swans.

Oberon
10-22-05, 07:41 AM
Yeah, looks like it might be in Britain too, no-one's sure if it's H5N1 varient yet or not...but it was in quarentine so hopefully we're ok so far.

Still moving slowly westwards though. :down:

Konovalov
10-22-05, 08:49 AM
Well I'm having chicken tonight birdflu or no bird flu. As far as I am aware if the chicken is cooked properly then there is no chance of catching bird flu. Well at least I hope that is the case. :-?

Kapitan
10-22-05, 08:51 AM
anything above 68 degrees and bactiria die same as anything below 18 degrees

Jesper
10-22-05, 11:04 AM
H5N1 is only deadly for humans at continiously exposure to infected birds.

As of yet H5N1 hasnt mutated to H5N1.(something) where it is sprreing from human to human as they feared had happened in Thailand with that dad and son.

Properly cooked bird is also still unharmful, as H5N1 as of yet hasnt mutated survive extreme temps.
I am not sure that the virus dies at +68C but it definatly does at +200C and chicken should be made at +225C for 90-110 minutes in an oven.
I dont know if it dies or hibernates at -18C but who wants to eat deepfrozen bird? :hmm:

Reminder:
You should always defrost frozen meat in your fridge and not on the kitchen table :)

Jesper
10-22-05, 11:05 AM
Yeah, looks like it might be in Britain too, no-one's sure if it's H5N1 varient yet or not...but it was in quarentine so hopefully we're ok so far.

As I've heard it is was a parrot that had the bird flu, and they said that there was a 95% chance that it was NOT H5N1.

The Avon Lady
10-22-05, 11:17 AM
And I thought H5N1 was a map grid location! :damn:

Oberon
10-22-05, 01:48 PM
Be worried if Bdu try to send you there! :-? :o

Jesper
10-22-05, 02:58 PM
DOUBLE LOL !

Oberon
10-23-05, 06:37 PM
CONFIRMED:
Dead parrot had H5N1

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/4370106.stm

Type941
10-23-05, 06:44 PM
the parrot did die from the H5N1.

ANyway, I had my normal Flu shot, and doctors said at this stage, it's the safest thing. TamiFlu - the drug Roche's making is only helping to treat the illnes and make it pass better, but doesn't cure it fully. There is no vaccine made for it, and they don't know when it will be made - but not this year for sure.

I guess keep healthy, less stress, don't spend too much time in crowded places, excercise, etc - in other words keep a healthy way of live that makes sure your immune system isn't weakened.

Wim Libaers
10-29-05, 08:48 AM
No flu vaccine will help against the bird flu, but if enough people use the normal flu vaccine, less people will get normal flu and thus the odds of bird flu mixing with normal flu in a sick person are reduced. Also, it might provide some protection against such a mixed variant if one appears. That's very speculative though.

XabbaRus
10-29-05, 03:51 PM
I think it is all over hyped.

Really how long have they known about birdful?

2 maybe 3 years? How many people have died to date from infection 61?

So in birdform it seems to be moving pretty quickly across from east to west....Thing is it hasn't yet mutated into a human to human form of the virus.

However the way that it is being reported in the press and all these "experts" its as if the pandemic could kick off tomorrow and wipe out swathes of teh population.

I'll keep a little eye on it but it doesn't worry me so much. Over hyped and over done.sure if I suddenly happen to come across a dad bird I won't touch it and if it is a migratorary one and it drops in my garden I'll phone it in. But I am not going to worry too much for now.

Oberon
10-29-05, 04:00 PM
sure if I suddenly happen to come across a dad bird I won't touch it.

What about if it's a mum bird?

No, no...I'm sorry...couldn't resist

*is booed off stage and pelted with rotten tomatoes*
:88)

Col7777
10-29-05, 04:48 PM
I'm feeling a bit peckish, do you think i might have it?

Jesper
10-30-05, 12:30 AM
@Oberon one word for you "LMAO!"

@Xabba, youre first assumption is definatly wrong
The birdflu is as old the "salmunella" disease (DT104)

Humans has known about it for a very long time as it is not a new disease, the reason why it is pumped up to be big news is the same as with DT104..
...People are infected now ...

Ask yourself why H5N1 and DT104 suddenly are so dangerous.
My guess is cause they are pumping the animals full of "****" (antibiotica) which are only making the diseases stronger and more resistant to other antibiotica, in somecases the diseases even mutates.. DT105.

1000 years ago no one died from eating "bacon and eggs" :) (salmunella), nor eating a bird that had caught a cold, simply cause peoples immune-defence were a lot stronger back then or cause the diseases were too weak to have any effect on humans, evolution of mankind changed that.

XabbaRus
10-30-05, 03:51 AM
when I said birdfulu I was meaning the H5N1

Still think it is over hyped. I have no doubt that modern methods of filling them with anti-biotics has contributed to it.

Like I said I'll wait and see. It is like the SARS thing that killed a lot mroe people that was whipped up by the media into the new plague.

You mjust admit that the media is ersponisble for blowing things out of proportion. In this world everything is driven by paper sales. :(

Wim Libaers
10-30-05, 03:13 PM
Antibiotics? Probably not in this case, as it's a virus. Those things don't interact much with antibiotics.

Odds of a global pandemic? Usually it doesn't happen. Sometimes, it does (like after WW1). The real problem is that population densities are always getting higher, both for the animals and the humans, and high population densities are more vulnerable to diseases.

Abraham
10-31-05, 04:56 AM
Still think it is over hyped. I have no doubt that modern methods of filling them with anti-biotics has contributed to it.
Like I said I'll wait and see. It is like the SARS thing that killed a lot mroe people that was whipped up by the media into the new plague.
You mjust admit that the media is ersponisble for blowing things out of proportion. In this world everything is driven by paper sales. :(
Right on all three accounts, XabbaRus!

A few days ago I met a friend (he holds the kind of believes like Skybird...). He told be that the threat of a pandemic was a much greater reason to worry than terrorrism.
I couldn't resist replying that it was then also a much greater reason to worry than the war in Iraq...
:D