PDA

View Full Version : Naval Historical photos - K-77 Gallery added

timmyg00
10-22-05, 01:05 AM
Back in August of this year, I spent my vacation photographing naval historical sites.

My first site was the Submarine Force Library and Museum in Groton, CT (USA).

I have posted my pics to http://www.pbase.com/timmyg_00/submarine_force_museum for all to see. I have commented them where I could (corrections are welcome from those experts who know what I have mislabeled). There are numerous close-ups of Cold-War Era control panels, systems, and displays from inside the Museum as well as the USS Nautilus. I hope these will be useful to you 3D modelers and those working on independent sim projects, or just plain interesting to naval history buffs.

Forgive the crappy quality on some of the pics; I am slowly learning how to compensate for the less-than-optimum lighting conditions that seem to prevail at these historic sites. My camera is a Kodak DX7440 4MP, with no extra fancy lenses (but a tripod and monopod where necessary!).

More to come from my collections of the Russian Juliett-class SSG in Providence, RI, and Battleship Cove in Fall River, MA.

I hope you enjoy them.

TG

Bill Nichols
10-22-05, 08:57 AM
TimmyG -- With so many sub-related attractions in the area (not to mention, Sonalysts in Groton and USS Constitution in Boston), I'd suggest Boston as a possible venue for the next annual SubClub meet. Whatdaya think?

Konovalov
10-22-05, 08:58 AM
Nice pics. :yep: Did you visit the library and how would you rate that part of the visit if you did?

Bellman
10-22-05, 09:27 AM
Great photos - thanks. A real treat for me as I have not seen inside the real thing.

I am fascinated by the eight masts on the Nautilus SSN-71 - I can label most but remained puzzled by 2 - 3. Can you help ?

Bill Nichols
10-22-05, 09:45 AM
Great photos - thanks. A real treat for me as I have not seen inside the real thing.

I am fascinated by the eight masts on the Nautilus SSN-71 - I can label most but remained puzzled by 2 - 3. Can you help ?

Pictures 2, 3 and 4 are captioned with the mast IDs, but the caption is wrong in that it has swapped Port for Starboard. (i.e., forward is to the right of the photos, so the 'Starboard' masts are those closest to the camera. The caption, however, lists those masts as being 'Port').

timmyg00
10-22-05, 09:49 AM
TimmyG -- With so many sub-related attractions in the area (not to mention, Sonalysts in Groton and USS Constitution in Boston), I'd suggest Boston as a possible venue for the next annual SubClub meet. Whatdaya think? I think that's a great idea! There's Groton, Providence, Fall River, Boston, Portsmouth... we'd need to rent a big van to truck everyone around!

Nice pics. :yep: Did you visit the library and how would you rate that part of the visit if you did? I didn't... I think that requires an appointment and perhaps some special permissions. Someday I'll try; I'd like to see some of the old logs...

I am fascinated by the eight masts on the Nautilus SSN-71 - I can label most but remained puzzled by 2 - 3. Can you help ? Actually I labeled them myself on the close-up photos of each mast... you should be able to see the captions below the photo filename if you scroll down. Let me know if you can't.

TG

timmyg00
10-22-05, 09:52 AM
Pictures 2, 3 and 4 are captioned with the mast IDs, but the caption is wrong in that it has swapped Port for Starboard. (i.e., forward is to the right of the photos, so the 'Starboard' masts are those closest to the camera. The caption, however, lists those masts as being 'Port'). DOH! :oops: How did i make that dumb mistake!!

Anyway, it's fixed now :up:

TG

Bellman
10-22-05, 09:55 AM
:sunny: Thanks.

For some reason Firefox didnt show those but I switched to Opera after your response and now I am getting full benefit. :|\ :rock:

Kresge
10-24-05, 02:08 PM
Nice pics! Thanks for posting them!

Bill: Excellent idea! You should mention that to Neal. I think there are quite a few members on the East coast as well many of us in the Midwest that would make the drive or fly out there.
:up:

U-552Erich-Topp
10-24-05, 04:46 PM
Great pictures

timmyg00
10-30-05, 03:42 PM
I have added a new gallery at PBase. It is an entire gallery devoted to the Juliett-class K-77 (Project 651) SSG on display at Colliers Point Park in Providence, RI.

http://www.pbase.com/timmyg_00/k77_juliett

I spent 2 hours almost undisturbed inside this sub, taking numerous shots that became a "photographic study" of the Cold War relic. Some of the captions I provided are taken directly from the labels that translate the function of various equipment for the visitors; others are my own interpretation of the functions of certain equipment, based on my own experience and study. At times, my interpretation and the curators' interpretation conflict... hmm, I'll have to talk to them about that ;)

There are certain areas of the sub that are currently off-limits to visitors (EDIT - including me, so I didn't take the ones on the pages at the following links, I only took the ones you see on PBase); some photos of these areas can be found at http://www.juliett484.org/juliett/juliettphotos.html and http://www.providenceri.com/special/sub/photos/index.htm .

Enjoy!

TG

TLAM Strike
10-30-05, 04:36 PM
Very cool TG. These images will make great textures for my VS sub projects. :up:

timmyg00
10-31-05, 02:38 AM
Very cool TG. These images will make great textures for my VS sub projects. :up: That's part of the reason I took 'em ;)

TG

cowman1009
10-31-05, 05:08 PM
I had the honor to go up there and work for a day with Rick Hedman, the manager of the museum. Myself and another Auxiliaryman (A-ganger) traced hydraulic lines to see if it is possible to raise some or all of the mast and antennas; we crawled around about 2 levels below the control room (I still think there is something living in the bilge) and finally after an entire day of work trying to understand Russian Hydraulic System design and construction, figured out a way to possible raise the Air Search Radar mast; now all I need is more time and some supplies and I'll be able to finish the job....if you haven't been and you're in the area of Providence you must go check it out :up:

timmyg00
10-31-05, 10:24 PM
Wow... that sounds like fun. Any chance you'll get any other masts up? ;) And do they need any additional help with other systems?

TG

cowman1009
11-02-05, 03:15 PM
It's a matter of supplies (port-a-power, fluid, grease) and manpower. The second is easy. If you are interested I can get you the managers phone number.