PDA

View Full Version : Electron

Gorduz
10-19-05, 12:58 PM
So then it's settled the russian trawler Electron got away from the Norwegian coast guard. Personaly I think it's weak that the gouverment didn't catch it, but apparently the weather was to bad to board it, and the option of fireing at it is perhaps a bit over dramatic.

Fish
10-19-05, 06:00 PM
Particular with two Norwegian inspectors on board the ship. :-?

Kapitan
10-20-05, 01:26 AM
estimate you have less than 1 minuet in the waters without a survival suite and only 6 hours if that if you do.

fire on it your firing on a russian ship and i dont think our president putin will be too happy the norwiegens may wake up to find peter the great shelling a coastal harbour or something in return :D

i dont know how these norwiegen inspectors are going to get home thats the next thing will they be classed as "illigal immagrents"?

Malm
10-20-05, 05:55 AM
Just only a month ago we had a large NATO exercise in the Northsea involving navy vessels from multi nationalities. I remember especially one stubborn Norwegian torpedo boat (the same pictured by Gorduz) that denied us the entrance to the scene of battle. Nicely but firm (only one warning shot) he ordred us to return back to the strait of Gronsund and by his doing ruined all our fun for that day.

So actually the will and force in their navy is present but is it also present amoung their politicians or more widely amoung the politicians within most of the NATO members?

Lets flip this scenario a bit. Lets say that a norweagian trawler was caught by the Russian Navy and they held their sailor as hostage? What would then had happend?

It is also so typically Russian to claim that there was never an agreement about the Spitsbergen area. Thats not the issue here Mr. Lavrov :shifty:

So why bother spending all that money on excercises and equitment we never dare use? I don't even belive a warning shot was fired. Don't get me wrong here - I would had stopped that trawler using all necessary means and I am sure the norweagian coastguard/navy would had loved to do the same but our democraZy politicans would not. I only belive in US, Great Britain, France and ofcause Russia ;) when it comes to the question of acting.

Kapitain - Electron was close to cause a very diplomatic crisis between Russia and probaly NATO. I hope she is not celebrated when arriving home at port :down:

Kapitan
10-20-05, 07:59 AM
you think i didnt know that i hope the russians impound the vessel and then send the crew to norway

Type941
10-20-05, 08:03 AM
Sure, the weather was bad... Bunch of wussies. :rotfl:

Ok seriously, what a STUPID incident. Russia and Norway should sort out this 'agreement', but i'm not surprised Russia doesn't want to do it on Norwegian terms - why should it?? So till they figure out a compromise, more stupid sh*t like this will keep happening, until someone gets hurt, unfortunately.

Apparently that captain was prepared to ram the norwegian boat. I mean what the heck is this! And Norwegians kept firing flares at it to make it more visible for the reporters on board? I mean it's bloody absurd, they all gone kookoo there.

Torpedo Fodder
10-21-05, 12:03 AM
Behold the Elektron:
http://cache.aftenposten.no/multimedia/archive/00329/KYSTVAKT__elektron1_329327h.jpg

Hot damn, that thing looks exactly like your steriotypical rusted-out Russian trawler :lol:

Type941
10-21-05, 05:58 AM
one more pic of the enemy of the mighty Norwegian navy.

http://images.km.ru/news/Foto/Trauler_Elektron1-250.jpg

It is also so typically Russian to claim that there was never an agreement about the Spitsbergen area. Thats not the issue here Mr. Lavrov

OK, the russians don't claim there was never an agreement, that's some oversimplification of the media. From what I've read it's like that.

in 1920 there was a treaty signed GB, Denmark, Sweden, Japan, Norway, and some other countries, that regulated the legal status of Spitzbergen. Russia (or Soviet Union) signed this treaty as well in 1935. That treaty says that Norway has sovereign rights to spitzbergen, but also allows the parties to the treaty to fish in the waters of spitzbergen. So it's a limited sovereignty. Norway though actively uses it's right to limit all activity based on the need for ecological preservation. (keep in mind that the quarter of all fish from Barents Sea is from Spitzbergen waters!). In 1977 the Norwegians again passed a treaty which they were the only party to, and installed a 200mile nofishing zone around Spitzbergen, and all countries to the original 1920 treaty said it's basically not legitemate as Norway only had a 4mile zone around the arhipelago that they could put restrictions on to. Since the islands are closest to Russia, it's the russians that fish most in there. And it was very often the Norwegians arrested ships and made them dump it out. It's just this time one guy on a rusted out trawler said OK, and than said 'screw you', turned around and run back home. The Russian fleet didn't even lift a finger to protect him, even in russian economical zone, and only in natioanal waters did they send a ship to protect it.

So all 'Mr. Lavrov" is saying is that there is the 1920 Paris treaty recognized by all parties that are subject to it, and not the 1977 treaty that Norway had introduced by themselves. It's very common now for everyone who used to oppose the USSR to try to kick Russia below the belt on every account possible, because Russia is weak. The Baltics would gladly take Siberia as reparations, I'm sure Germany wouldn't mind retuning of Prussia, China wants a slice of Siberia as well, Japan wants the Kurils back, and since Russia and Moscow area in particular originate from scandinavia folk basically, I suppose the total break up of the country will do. what Russia is doing in this case, is it shuold be more firm and tell them to stuff it, or make a new treaty with its neighbors, not try to cause incidents only using NATO as a shield, because on its own they don't have what it takes to go against Russia. Napoleonian complex is common not only for people but for countries. Politics, but this whole thing is political, feel free to disagree.

If you have more info on Spitzbergen treaty, plase post.

To me it looks like this sort of thing happened every year many times, but usually the fisherman just gave up, except this time the guy just got away.

Apparently, he's now in a hospital having suffered a heart attack. Go figure.

Abraham
10-22-05, 05:07 AM
Thanks Type941 for some useful info...

Gorduz
10-22-05, 06:59 AM
Yup I love this forum for this reason. Me as a Norwegian offcourse have only heard one side of the story. Though even if they don't recognise the treaty, fishing with to small nodes is still a crime. Killing fish before it's fully grown is wasted.

Kapitan
10-22-05, 07:46 AM
i have to side with the norwiegens on this one and if the russians any sence at all will hand over electron and her crew to the norwiegens