PDA

View Full Version : Chronological historical events of 19th Century Britain

ReubenJames
10-04-05, 02:13 AM
I am researching on the subject and need tons of onformation. For instance 1838 the coronation of Queen Victoria, 1845~50 The Irish Famine...

All these events affect the economic and social state of Britain at the time. Anyone has links, urls or books to recommend me would be highly appreciated.

mog
10-04-05, 02:27 AM
I would start with somewhere like wikipedia, which gives broad outlines that are generally pretty reliable.

For example:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_British_society

They have plenty of other articles that you would find useful, it's just a matter of following the links.

Damo1977
10-04-05, 07:56 AM
Well just a bit of Damo dribble.
South Australia was founded in 1836 ( I know 2yrs before what u asked). We were the first free colony of Australia, not founded because of convicts, but of free people.

http://www.users.on.net/~rdblair/events-sa.htm

Some of our town names changed during WW1, because of German influence,

ReubenJames
10-04-05, 09:35 AM
Thanks Mog. Useful link.

Damo, I have been to SA once in 1994. I was told that the RAAF is just a few miles from Adelaide airport, is that true?

Why would SA a choice for the Germans? I used to live in Melbourne.

Damo1977
10-04-05, 05:18 PM
Damo, I have been to SA once in 1994. I was told that the RAAF is just a few miles from Adelaide airport, is that true?

Yeah a RAAF base is just outside Adelaide, Edinburgh RAAF base. Its a fair drive, from where I live. But I get treated to the seeing the F/A-18s, Orions and the odd Caribou, when they are on practice at the Adelaide Airport. Live extremely close to the Adelaide Airport. Thankfully the aeroplanes don't dump their garbage out anymore. :lol:

I shall find out about the Germans and SA, must go to work. YAHHHHHHHH :lol:

Oh, also we have a bronze statue of Queen Victoria in the Adelaide cbd. Just got taken away to be cleaned recently after couple of decades.

Damo1977
10-05-05, 12:29 AM

Klemzig, Hahndorf, Birdwood, Springton, Lobethal, Bethany, Barossa Valley and Killalpaninna are just some of the places settled by German migrants.

Only about five per cent of all German migrants who settled in South Australia came for religious reasons. The South Australian government soon realised the worth of these hard working Germans and published information about the colony for distribution in Germany. It hoped to get many more of these first class migrants. Although many migrated to America, which involved a much shorter and cheaper trip, a substantial number settled in South Australia.

these paragraphs come from this site
http://www.southaustralianhistory.com.au/german.htm

ReubenJames
10-06-05, 01:42 AM
I have been working in Hong Kong for some 12 years now since 1992. And now I am out of the job, looks like an early retireman. It's about time to return home, only trouble was there is this place where I am living. Got to sell it before returning home for good.

When that ay comes, I come to meet you in Adelaide perhaps.

About the information gathering, so far I have only the Great Exhibition in 1851,
Queen Victoria coronation in 1838,
The Great Irish Famine between 1845~9

They do have some effects on the economy. I am unable to find further big events during the century.
:(

Damo1977
10-06-05, 05:47 PM

About the information gathering, so far I have only the Great Exhibition in 1851,

They do have some effects on the economy. I am unable to find further big events during the century.

You would be very welcome
1801: The Kingdom of Great Britain and the Kingdom of Ireland merge to form the United Kingdom.
1819: The modern city of Singapore is established by the British East India Company.
1839-60: After two Opium Wars, Great Britain, France, the United States and Russia gain many concessions from China.
1854-56: Crimean War between Great Britain, France, the Ottoman Empire and Russia
1879: Anglo-Zulu War in South Africa.
1880-1902: Great Britain conquers Dutch settlers in South Africa in two Boer Wars.

http://www.victorianlondon.org/

http://www.fashion-era.com/the_victorian_era.htm

Hopes this helps

lesrae
10-07-05, 12:45 AM
I am researching on the subject and need tons of onformation. For instance 1838 the coronation of Queen Victoria, 1845~50 The Irish Famine...

All these events affect the economic and social state of Britain at the time. Anyone has links, urls or books to recommend me would be highly appreciated.

Here's one: http://www.britannia.com/history/emptime.html

ReubenJames
10-07-05, 03:22 AM

You would be very welcome
1801: The Kingdom of Great Britain and the Kingdom of Ireland merge to form the United Kingdom.
1819: The modern city of Singapore is established by the British East India Company.
1839-60: After two Opium Wars, Great Britain, France, the United States and Russia gain many concessions from China.
1854-56: Crimean War between Great Britain, France, the Ottoman Empire and Russia
1880-1902: Great Britain conquers Dutch settlers in South Africa in two Boer Wars.

http://www.victorianlondon.org/

http://www.fashion-era.com/the_victorian_era.htm

Hopes this helps

Alright,

Okay, so domestic trade started. For instance, Ireland supplied Livestock and Grain to England. Then England supplied coal, iron, steel, alcohol and timber to Ireland. People travel between the two isles also promoted trade.

Foreign trade comes to my mind! So exported goods, clothings, cotton, wool for instance.

Well, again imported trade was made busy.

1854-56: Crimean War between Great Britain, France, the Ottoman Empire and Russia.

Alright, this one I would imagine that a demand for ammunition, weapon and troops was created. They will be transported to Dover or Portsmouth for shipping out.

All of the above events would exert pressure on railroad business. Or looking from the positive side, railroad business flourished as both goods and travellers used the transport.

ReubenJames
10-07-05, 03:25 AM

Here's one: http://www.britannia.com/history/emptime.html
lesrae,
Thanks for the link. Strangely enough, I didn't get it when I google'd through the net.

Damo1977
10-07-05, 10:03 AM
ReubenJames, Ok so you not looking for militaristic (Spelt wrong) side of history. I always do. Sorry I shall try again........ Well Victoria Britain/U.K didn't do much except as I read joined the othe European powers for the race for Africa and marched against each other......... Also this is going off a long shot............. North West Passage was still being seeked.........Ask me old man again tommorrow, he is Hambledon bouy and my Great Great Grandfather built ships in Portsmouth Dockyards helped build ships around the 1900 or b4, we still have his original toolbox with Portsmouth painted on it. We are a family of collecters, like the Australian lyre bird.

ReubenJames
10-07-05, 10:21 AM
Dammo,

I am impressed. Don't worry, I will be finding some other means to get the information. Afterall, this is what a research analyst should do.

Your family builds vessels, I prefer doing intelligence work. Some of the motion picture inspires me, they include "Hunt for the Red October", "Patriot Game" (sequel to HFRO) and surely "Clear & Present Danger". There is another cool motion picture that inspires me is called "The Fourth Protocol" which is less well-known but if you are the British, you should know about it. It is Michael Caine who plays John Preston. The plot is good, a little bit of twist here and there, then came the finale. I wish I were Jack Ryan writing books for the Intelligent Service.

Somehow, I feel building a big submarine is not as big as building a information network. There might be some danger, but for the final goal, it worths the while.

Damo1977
10-09-05, 01:08 AM
There is another cool motion picture that inspires me is called "The Fourth Protocol" which is less well-known but if you are the British, you should know about it. It is Michael Caine who plays John Preston. The plot is good, a little bit of twist here and there, then came the finale.

Yeah that was on tv not long back, plus we got the book in our shelves. I get the title of 'The 4th Protocol' mixed up with a movie called 'The Fourth War' ....'The Fourth War' stars Jürgen Prochnow and Roy Scheider.