PDA

View Full Version : scenario construction

OKO
09-25-05, 04:08 AM
As bellman don't stop to deconstruct and recontruct scenario and his mind ( :rotfl: ), I feel I could tell the way I built a scenario =>

1) the general idea
what will be the goal of mission and means for that :
example from latest one => minesweeping (not already released...)
I want 2 minesweepers working, some US to protect them and some russian sub to sink them
I look at different location on earth to make this (sometimes quite long ...), and when I find it, I start to put plateform there.
It's basic phase where I just choose the drivable platforms that will be used in game on each side without giving them real position or tactics.

2) building the action
2nd phase, I start to think where all plateform could spawn, and what tactics they will use.
Here, I will use the maximum of random locations, measuring each one of them (key "R") to ensure there is not some too close or too far from the action at the beginning of the game.
I usually use arc of a circle of dynamic locations to maximize the bearing of the incoming platform, on both sides.
Then, here, I will give all platforms tactics and script required for them, to make them works even if they are AI.

Orion, for example : I usually give them some very distant random location, and a destination trigger on each one, to detect where the Orion spawn, and then, to give AI special bearing depending on the spawn location (if he is at north => set course 180 for 700 seconds, at east => set course 270 for 600 seconds etc ..).
I do the same with all platform that require it.
Its quite a long phase to make exactly what you want here.
But my objective is to have something that works alone, without human players.
When that's OK, I proceed to the next phase

3) goal triggers

now I will determine what will be the mission objectives, and start to built trigger for that.
I usually start with easiest : Kill trigger
then I add objectives triggers (datum reached, targets destroyed, all drivable killed on one side etc ...)
Then, finally, I built final trigger (red wins or blue wins) with exclusion (complete trigger red wins if target are sunk and not completed trigger blue wins ...)
Once all of this is made, I go to the next phase :

4) neutrals.
Neutrals are very important in a mission.
And they need to be picked up out of a LARGE choice.
Now, I use each and every civilians and bio you can find in the list, give them random start box, or even dynamic locations (sometimes I use both), give them tactics (transit for merchant with lots of tolerance in each WP, ladder or perimeter for shrimp and fishing boats / trawler etc etc etc ...)
I will have about 10 to 15 neutrals here, and will put them all in a dynamic group, max4 min6 (just an example ...)
Neutral are essentials because this is the best way to have complete new environment each time and to make everyone feel like if it's the first time they play the mission.
If you combine random locations for human platforms and targets with random group of civilian/bio, you could have total different mission each time, with the same scenario.
I think it's a VERY important thing.
But as I tell you, I will always create neutrals after all the other phases above mentionned.
This is the final touch to the action.
And after this, come the phase I fear the most

5) briefings
Here I need to have my Harraps, and take long time to translate the brief from french in english.
I don't like this phase, spend too much time here to my eyes, but it's an important thing to make a clear, complete and good briefing.

then come my favorite phase :
6) releasing the scenario and playing with friends :arrgh!:

There is one thing you should always have in mind during the creation of your scenario : you must be always sure that even if you already played the mission, and even if you created it, you shouldn't have more informations at start than a guy never played it.
If you keep this in mind, and use randomisation as described, you will have missions you could play for a veeeery long time without beeing bored about it.

hope this could help.

darksythe
09-25-05, 04:19 AM
Hye OKO,
Im starting design work on my first set of MP missions for Dw (did some mission design in SC). Wondering if you wanted to help me conceptualize them as far as scripting needs go.(maybe you could do scripting) In return id be willing to help you with your briefings. I cant read or speak french lol but i can help you by having you do general conversion to english than i could refine them for you based on your verbal input. :hmm:

darksythe
09-25-05, 04:21 AM
Hmm interesting somehow i submitted 4 times sorry guys...

OKO
09-25-05, 04:32 AM
yes the forum had some problem for some minutes, I couldn't connect to it.

Well, I'm very interested by your proposition
I could give you the main lines (say the pre-brief...) and let you using good english to make it.
And you send me your scenario, telling me what you want, and I will make it (script and triggers) as well as I can do and explain how I did and why I made it this way.

Of course, you will be credited in the scenario for your work on brief !

darksythe
09-25-05, 06:24 AM
Sounds like a plan to me. I dont at the current have any missions ready for scripting however if you have any briefs that need to be done send em on over you have my icq. my email is mike.young2@gmail.com.

FERdeBOER
09-26-05, 05:52 AM
5) briefings
Here I need to have my Harraps, and take long time to translate the brief from french in english.
I don't like this phase, spend too much time here to my eyes, but it's an important thing to make a clear, complete and good briefing.

I understand you very much. I'm Spanish and when I finish a mission, then I have to translate to English... all those trigger, messages... hehe

It's a very interesting guide about how to think a mission.

About the briefings, I use to make them very long, with enouth background and "inteligence" data for doing exactly what you said: the player would have the same info as I have.

Thank you.

OKO
09-26-05, 12:19 PM
thanks for your nice comments FERdeBOER :)

swimsalot
10-06-05, 10:05 PM
I posted in another thread, but I'll ask here too: I need some help
with mission editing. I have a great campaign story, enough for several missions, and a great fleet battle.
But I need someone to help me get started with the editing/map making.
just like the poster above me, I can help with the scripting, someone just teach me what buttons to push!

Thanks,
Swims
jbambrick@cmcast.net
icq 249-548-432s

OKO
10-08-05, 01:06 PM
wow .. suggest you read the whole editing manual
lots of very interesting tips there.
if you have specific questions, it will be a pleasure to answer them if I can.