PDA

View Full Version : Airbus philosophy vs. Boeing philosophy

SUBMAN1
09-23-05, 12:48 PM
I see all these people saying Airbus is fine, but I have to ask, just what are those pilots doing up there? Might as well take them out of the cockpit since they have no real authority anyway.

Airbus has these restrictions on a pilot:

On all Airbus planes other than the older A300 and A310, computers prevent the pilot from putting the plane into a climb of more than 30 degrees where it might lose lift and stall. The maximum bank or roll allowed is 67 degrees. The plane's nose-down pitch is limited to 15 degrees. There are protections against overspeed.

And the computer won't allow the plane to make any extreme maneuvers that would exceed 2.5 times the force of gravity....

Boeings philosophy:

.... But Cashman said such limits keep a plane from performing at its absolute capability.

"When you fully automate and protect the system, you have to take away some of the capability," he said.

"It makes no sense to us to limit the pull up capability, say to miss another airplane or the ground. . . . We feel the pilot should have that capability and should be able to achieve it by use of normal controls, providing cues that he is getting close to those limits but letting him exceed them if necessary."

These so-called "cues" tell the pilot the plane is approaching certain speed, load or attitude limits. As the jet nears its stall speed, for example, much more force is needed to pull back on the control column. The same is true as the "g" forces on the plane increase.

Planes are generally designed structurally to have more capability than what the book says, Cashman noted.

Does anyone see the safety problems associated with this type of soft limits? Again, I ask what the pilot is in the cockpit for? Computers can completely replace them nowdays if they have no authority anyway.

-S
[/quote]

Kapitan
09-23-05, 01:04 PM
in terms of safty airbus is alot better the computers stop the aircraft over stressing some thing no boeing aircraft has many boeing fatalities are caused by over stress fatigue the airbus computers warn the pilots who can then take appropriate action

a boeing can climb beyond 30 degrees yes but it will stall this is something airbus aircraft cannot do

value jet aircraft crashed as a result of fatigue something that could have been avoided but it had no warning systerms if it was an airbus the pilot would have been warned

in terms of safty the CAA FAA and NTSB all rate airbus aircraft as safe or safer than boeing or mc donell douglas

SUBMAN1
09-23-05, 01:09 PM
in terms of safty airbus is alot better the computers stop the aircraft over stressing some thing no boeing aircraft has many boeing fatalities are caused by over stress fatigue the airbus computers warn the pilots who can then take appropriate action

a boeing can climb beyond 30 degrees yes but it will stall this is something airbus aircraft cannot do

value jet aircraft crashed as a result of fatigue something that could have been avoided but it had no warning systerms if it was an airbus the pilot would have been warned

in terms of safty the CAA FAA and NTSB all rate airbus aircraft as safe or safer than boeing or mc donell douglas

Wouldn' an Airbus be subject to stress fatigue as well as a Boeing jet? So if the pilot was still within the limits, and the jet still gave way, how is the ability of the pilot at fault or the limits that are in place? A Boeing jet still has the same limits an Airbus jet has, but these can be over-rided in an emergency situation - such as impending death if you don't type of scenario!

An example is the SU-27 from Russia - it has these same systems built in with soft limits, but the pilot has the ability to over-ride it as well in the event of impending death or destruction. Same idea. Russians get it, Boeing gets it, but Airbus doesn't?

-S

Kapitan
09-23-05, 01:13 PM
airbus has these but when your about 33 seconds from impact if that you have very little if no time for a manual overide

i have been on airbus and i generaly prefer airbus to boeing although ive only been on boeing planes on the ground personaly i cant stand the noisey boeings i prefer the quieter airbus

but like we have a choice if you go on holiday you cant pick your plane can you so why worry

Hellcat
09-23-05, 03:44 PM
I see no reason why the pilot should be limited in the way he/she is controlling the aircraft. There are certainly limits to which the aircraft can withstand but that is why each pilot must be checked out to fly the plane. Override aside I see nothing safer in the Airbus vs Beoing.

Kaptain concerning the nosie, I found the Boeing 727 to be very quiet while enroute to British Columbia.

Kapitan
09-23-05, 03:49 PM
were you at the front of the plane or the rear?

and before you say it dont make a diffrence it sure does a big one

TLAM Strike
09-23-05, 04:00 PM
i have been on airbus and i generaly prefer airbus to boeing although ive only been on boeing planes on the ground personaly i cant stand the noisey boeings i prefer the quieter airbus Noise! :lol:
I lived for about 5 years next to an Airport and now I find it hard to sleep without the sound of an engine in the background. I miss the Army AH-1 buzzing my house at times too…

Kapitan
09-23-05, 04:03 PM
well i live under the departure line for southend and i also live on the circle's that fill every major london airpoirt so ive got about 100 planes near me all the time

Hellcat
09-23-05, 11:29 PM
I was sitting right behind the wing root on the 727, I actually found the noise kinda nice while in the plane sorta like the constant noise of a car engine. Its all about the noise though, when I went up for my introductionary flight in a Cessna 152 it was just like riding a 100mph roller coaster. Well not so much but boy what a rush, best $75 I've spent this year.

Torpedo Fodder
09-24-05, 09:51 AM
Say what's with all the Airbus vs. Boeing threads today? :hmm:.