PDA

View Full Version : I FOUND A BIG BOO BOO!

I-25
09-13-05, 01:58 PM
for all you guys who saw that documentry on the sience chanel about the japanese sub grave yard off sasebo (aka operation roads end) they identify the sub they found the I-58, THIS IS WRONG!

when they show the conning tower on the documentry it doesnt not have railing!!!
see here
http://acad.bryant.edu/~history/h497/geffken/submarine_i58.jpg

the Conning tower that came out on the TV DIDNT have it ,it must have been the I-36 or I-47 because they had no railing and the I-58 had the aft end of the conning tower with rails!

http://www.combinedfleet.com/images/type_b3.gif
see how there is no rail on the aft section of the tower on the sister ship to the I-47

Kapitan
09-13-05, 02:43 PM
write or email into them pointing out this

August
09-13-05, 07:10 PM
I've had a couple different conning towers on my SHIII boat. Maybe it's captain had enough renown for an upgrade?

Kresge
09-13-05, 08:35 PM
That's not too bad. I was watching a program on the F-14 Tomcat a few weeks ago and it was utterly awful. It had major mistakes every few minutes, like showing F-4s and F-18s and calling them Tomcats. I can't believe the History Channel even aired that one.
:down:

Pigfish
09-13-05, 09:06 PM
Ive always laughed when CNN, BBC etc says, and shows, some tanks have rolled in to a occupied area or war zone, be it in Israel or Iraq etc.

In fact the pics may show LAVs, M113s or M109s, but no tanks. I dont know how many times I have had to explain to people a M109 is NOT a tank. Theres a big difference.

"But it sure looks like one."

"But I seen it on TV and 'they' said it was a tank." sigh... :roll:

:ping:

August
09-13-05, 10:27 PM
Without doubt the most overused war footage i've noticed is that flaming jeep. The one where the back end is on fire while some guy is trying to drive it off. I think it was originally from Bastogne but i've seen it used on shows about Italy, France, Holland and even in the pacific. both in WW2 and even the Korean war.

Kapitan
09-14-05, 01:38 AM
this model submarine here was called a hotel class built in 1958 erm yeah the hotel class was built in 1958 but looked nothing like this.

the boat is an alfa class and this particular model played konavalov in the film hunt for red october she is currently on lease from a film company and is on show at chatham for a short while.

oh yeah scuse me dad the big guy in the pic

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y262/russian-navy01/Chatham/Chatham_25.jpg

Wim Libaers
09-14-05, 03:22 PM
If you know a lot about a particular subject, you will notice that journalists get things wrong pretty often. Discussions with other people indicate that they have the same experience in those areas where they are experts. Conclusion: don't trust journalists, at least not on technical issues ;)

Also see:
http://www.guardian.co.uk/life/badscience/story/0,12980,1564369,00.html

Abraham
09-15-05, 11:13 PM
@ Wim Libaers:
Nice link!
@ Pigfish:
Don't we all know the feeling? As long as a journalist can detect the slightest cupollo on an armoured vehicle it's bound to be a tank (except for a Humvee, that one they know by now...)

Egan
09-16-05, 06:13 AM
If you know a lot about a particular subject, you will notice that journalists get things wrong pretty often. Discussions with other people indicate that they have the same experience in those areas where they are experts. Conclusion: don't trust journalists, at least not on technical issues ;)

Also see:
http://www.guardian.co.uk/life/badscience/story/0,12980,1564369,00.html

Well, as someone who does that Journo thing from time to time I have to put my penny worth here.

See, most people don't care if it is a tank or an APC. Just like they do not care if it is an SSBN or an SSN or SSK. They really don't care because it doesn't really affect them in a day to day basis. It is like people moaning about a film about the Battle of Britain having Mark V spits instead of Mark 1's - The producers know that there are a handful of people who will notice such things but, quite frankly, they have more pressing thing to attend to; like making sure Mr Cruise has his scientology booth in a prominent part of the set.

Aside from this a journo could spend all his time up until deadline writing about how it is an APC or SPG and 99.99999% of people will just say 'Oh, its a tank.'

Ask most journos about those technical experts and they may well tell you they hate talking to them because they are so full of the details they have no idea about the importance of anything else.... ;)

Don't blame the journalists - blame the general public and the fact they just don't care.

And of course they know what a Humvee is - most of the editors of the big lifestyle magazines drive them...

TLAM Strike
09-16-05, 12:39 PM
Aside from this a journo could spend all his time up until deadline writing about how it is an APC or SPG and 99.99999% of people will just say 'Oh, its a tank.
LOL I was watching my Space: Above and Beyond DVDs and in one episode the 58th is cut off behind enemy lines and they find this Army APC called 'Pearly' and the driver insists Pearly be called a ‘Tank’.

Kalach
09-17-05, 03:35 AM
On a similar topic I've noticed the news reporters like to say "this is the most technologicly advanced conflict to date" when covering the invasion of Iraq and other recent fighting.
The most technologicly advanced?? Of course it is, unless they start equiping troops with muskets and swords :roll:

Abraham
09-17-05, 03:42 AM
See, most people don't care if it is a tank or an APC. Just like they do not care if it is an SSBN or an SSN or SSK. They really don't care because it doesn't really affect them in a day to day basis. It is like people moaning about a film about the Battle of Britain having Mark V spits instead of Mark 1's - The producers know that there are a handful of people who will notice such things but, quite frankly, they have more pressing thing to attend to; like making sure Mr Cruise has his scientology booth in a prominent part of the set.

Aside from this a journo could spend all his time up until deadline writing about how it is an APC or SPG and 99.99999% of people will just say 'Oh, its a tank.'

Ask most journos about those technical experts and they may well tell you they hate talking to them because they are so full of the details they have no idea about the importance of anything else.... ;)

Don't blame the journalists - blame the general public and the fact they just don't care.

And of course they know what a Humvee is - most of the editors of the big lifestyle magazines drive them...
I guess you're right, especially on that last point...
:D

Bob Sakamano
09-20-05, 09:09 AM
Shall we talk about inaccuracies in movies next?

Or is that to be expected...

BTW...Hi everybody, long time reader, first time, well second time poster. Nice to meet you!

Have a great day!

August
09-20-05, 09:12 AM
unless they start equiping troops with muskets and swords :roll:

I hear swords are making a comeback...

Abraham
09-20-05, 09:16 AM

BTW...Hi everybody, long time reader, first time, well second time poster. Nice to meet you!

Have a great day!
Welcome aboard, Bob Sakamano!

Egan
09-20-05, 10:59 AM

Have a great day!

There are inaccuracies is movies?? :o

Say it ain't so!

:rotfl:

Welcome.

Actually, talking about movies that people seem to generally had a nasty reaction too I saw 'Alexander' a couple of days ago and I thought it was Ace. Once you get your head around the fact it isn't really meant to be a straight forward bio-pic or historical epic it's a pretty clever and enjoyable film.