PDA

View Full Version : Haliburton

bradclark1
09-12-05, 08:01 AM
Here we go again. Haliburton has open ended contracts again. God how I hate this administration, this president and this vice president.

Bush allies getting Katrina work
Companies with ties to the White House among the first awarded reconstruction deals.

http://money.cnn.com/2005/09/12/news/economy/katrina_contracts.reut/index.htm

Sixpack
09-12-05, 08:13 AM
Sorry to ask, but why the hack is it the least capable people always appear to end up in the highest political positions (not just in the US) ? :roll:

Another question: Are Americans capable of learning ? We'll see 3 years from now, I guess :know:

Iceman
09-12-05, 11:32 AM
Ya know,I don't know that much about Haliburton or what they do or who owns it but the question I have is....Are they in the business of making money?...which most companies are ...and if so are they supposed to roll over on there bellies and not use the resources they have to get work and make money just because of there insider contacts.Every company or Empire in the world uses whatever resources it has access to , to further it's goals.I "DO" understand that many ethical and or legal issues regarding unfair trade practices have to be adhered to but can ya really blame anyone or country for trying to get an "Edge"...this is the ugly side of human nature...this is why there is poverty and hunger.THe haves and have not...who ya know etc...Why so suprised about it. LOL...Welcome to humanity.

The Avon Lady
09-12-05, 11:38 AM
Bush allies getting Katrina work
Companies with ties to the White House among the first awarded reconstruction deals.

http://money.cnn.com/2005/09/12/news/economy/katrina_contracts.reut/index.htm
What other companies without close WH ties were awarded deals?

Who is Haliburton's competitor to rebuild 2 US bases down in Louisiana?

Was there contract bidding on these deals?

Can someone give us the whole picture?

Sharkstooth
09-12-05, 01:48 PM
http://www.halliburton.com/default/main/halliburton/eng/news/source_files/news.jsp?newsurl=/default/main/halliburton/eng/news/source_files/press_statement/2005/corpnws_090205.html

Not actually the 'whole' pic, cause it is a press release from Haliburton site, but it gives you an idea of why they there and whats goin on.

August
09-12-05, 01:51 PM
From the site Sharktooth has posted. Bolding by me:

Also, as part of the company’s Construction Capabilities (CONCAP) contract with the U.S. Naval Facilities Engineering Command (NAVFAC), Halliburton’s subsidiary KBR is providing power distribution restoration, emergency roof repair and debris removal at three Mississippi Naval facilities that were damaged by Hurricane Katrina. Additionally, KBR will begin performing damage assessments on other Naval facilities in New Orleans as soon as it is deemed safe to do so.

The U.S. Navy uses the CONCAP contract to support immediate needs associated with regional emergencies caused by natural disasters, military-led or military-supported humanitarian assistance or military conflicts. For more information on this contract, which was awarded in July 2004 following a competitive bidding process, please see the company’s press release here.

Under CONCAP and other contracts, KBR has provided extensive relief services for major disasters in the U.S. and abroad for more than 15 years. Following Hurricane Andrew in Florida in 1992, the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers tasked KBR with providing planning assistance, damage surveys, expedient debris removal, engineering assessments, repairs to public and private buildings and utilities, and the construction, operation and maintenance of temporary trailer camps for displaced residents. KBR also performed emergency repairs to schools in the region and installed temporary, modular school buildings where necessary. The company began providing disaster relief services to the Navy two days after Hurricane Ivan struck Florida in 1994, and assisted after Hurricane Marilyn in the U.S. Virgin Islands in 1995 and Hurricane Hugo in South Carolina in 1990. In addition, under the previous CONCAP contract KBR provided emergency repairs in Guam following Super Typhoon Ponsonga from 2002-2004.

The Avon Lady
09-12-05, 02:01 PM
From the site AL has posted.
Correction: Sharkstooth posted the link to the Halliburton press statement - not me.

August
09-12-05, 02:20 PM
From the site AL has posted.
Correction: Sharkstooth posted the link to the Halliburton press statement - not me.

Oops, sorry. I fixed it.

Skybird
09-12-05, 05:27 PM
Tja.

bradclark1
09-12-05, 08:54 PM
Ya know,I don't know that much about Haliburton or what they do or who owns it but the question I have is....Are they in the business of making money?...which most companies are ...and if so are they supposed to roll over on there bellies and not use the resources they have to get work and make money just because of there insider contacts.Every company or Empire in the world uses whatever resources it has access to , to further it's goals.I "DO" understand that many ethical and or legal issues regarding unfair trade practices have to be adhered to but can ya really blame anyone or country for trying to get an "Edge"...this is the ugly side of human nature...this is why there is poverty and hunger.THe haves and have not...who ya know etc...Why so suprised about it. LOL...Welcome to humanity.

Pentagon audits released by Democrats in June showed $1.03 billion in "questioned" costs and $422 million in "unsupported" costs for Halliburton's work in Iraq.

To me thats enough to put the brakes on.

The Avon Lady
09-13-05, 12:03 AM

Pentagon audits released by Democrats in June showed $1.03 billion in "questioned" costs and $422 million in "unsupported" costs for Halliburton's work in Iraq.

To me thats enough to put the brakes on.
I agree but is there an alternative contractor at this point?

The Avon Lady
09-13-05, 12:36 AM
With thanks to Michelle Malkin (http://michellemalkin.com/mt/mt-MALKIN-tb.cgi?__mode=view&entry_id=3518) (numerous hyperlinks in original article):

THE DEMOCRATS' KATRINA PROFITEER
By Michelle Malkin · September 11, 2005 02:19 PM
From the "Bias? What liberal bias?" files...

On Saturday, CNN.com had a piece [9/12 clarification carried by Reuters] titled "Firms with White House ties get Katrina contracts:"
Companies with ties to the Bush White House and the former head of FEMA are clinching some of the administration's first disaster relief and reconstruction contracts in the aftermath of Hurricane Katrina.

At least two major corporate clients of lobbyist Joe Allbaugh, President Bush's former campaign manager and a former head of the Federal Emergency Management Agency, have already been tapped to start recovery work along the battered Gulf Coast.

One is Shaw Group Inc. and the other is Halliburton Co. subsidiary Kellogg Brown and Root. Vice President Dick Cheney is a former head of Halliburton.
The Baton Rouge-based Shaw Group, CNN tells us, is a major corporate client of Joe Allbaugh, President Bush's former campaign manager and a former head of the Federal Emergency Management Agency. Among its Katrina-related contracts are this one valued up to $100 million from FEMA; and this one also valued up to $100 million from the Army Corps of Engineers.

But in their zeal to embarrass the Bush administration, CNN overlooks one very fat and inconvenient fact--and embarrasses only itself.

The Shaw Group, a multi-billion-dollar conglomerate, is headed by Jim Bernhard, the current chairman of the Louisiana Democratic Party. Bernhard worked tirelessly for Democrat Louisiana Gov. Kathleen Blanco's runoff campaign and served as co-chair of her transition team. Another Shaw executive was Blanco's campaign manager. Bernhard is back-scratching chums with Blanco, whom he has lent/offered the Shaw Group's corporate jets to on numerous occasions.

So, why was none of this mentioned in CNN's Bush-profiteers-are-evil narrative?
Send them a clue here.

Fortunately for CNN, they weren't the only ones guilty of this glaring omission:

UPI failed to note that the CEO of the Shaw Group also happens to be the Louisiana Democratic Party chairman and beleaguered La. Gov. Kathleen Blanco's most influential crony.

So did the London Observer.

And Reuters/MSNBC. And the CBC.

And the NYTimes (reprinted in the Minnesota Star Tribune, the Houston Chronicle, the Scotsman, and scores of media outlets around the world).

Like I said: Bias? What liberal bias?

bradclark1
09-13-05, 03:03 PM
Okay. Should I be a little embarrassed by my blowup? I'm not.
Let me change that to I hate ALL politicians but especially the president and vice president. Both groups should be barred for conflict of interest.
I'm kind of wondering if the Shaw group was chosen to fend off the trouble from using Haliburton. I may have some kind of paranoia in regards to Haliburton but I don't think so.
The questionable financial dealings of Haliburton to me is enough reason not to use Haliburton.

The Avon Lady
09-13-05, 03:08 PM
Okay. Should I be a little embarrassed by my blowup? I'm not.
Embarrassed? No. Check the facts? Try it some time. But it's not your fault. It's what everyone watches and reads over their cornflakes at breakfast.
Let me change that to I hate ALL politicians but especially the president and vice president.
Yes, it shows.

For the record, I don't think they're anything special. I can also think of worse.
The questionable financial dealings of Haliburton to me is enough reason not to use Haliburton.
Again, I ask who are the alternative contractors who can take up such a hugh and specific task on the spot?

Rockstar
09-13-05, 06:44 PM
"The biggest contractor for the government for the past 20 years or so gets another couple of contracts. Well if that ain't a big surprise. It ain't like they haven't been awarded at least half of the contracts like these for a couple of decades, even under the Clinton administration.

They specialize in disaster and war cleanup, especially involving the petroleum industry and other industries.

It's like being suprised that oil companies hired Red Adair when their oil rigs caught fire.

Of course, the moonbats will soon be saying Bush and Cheney have a weather machine and they're producing hurricanes to get more business for Haliburton."

bradclark1
09-13-05, 10:31 PM
Again, I ask who are the alternative contractors who can take up such a hugh and specific task on the spot?

I wouldn't know how to begin checking on that. I remember that when Haliburton got the Iraq deal five other corporations complained that they weren't given a chance to compete. Can't remember their names though.

Sea Demon
09-13-05, 11:03 PM
In regards to Halliburton, I see only made up political complaints. Clinton gave Halliburton alot of no-bid contracts, and I didn't see any whining when he did it. So the Halliburton complaints fall on deaf ears here.

Sea Demon

Iceman
09-14-05, 01:41 AM
It seems to me..."The Untrained Eye"...that people try to seem to link it somehow or way as to why we really are in Iraq...like war was made only to create gain for big companies.Big companies didn't bomb people...granted to me sometimes they seem like vultures living off the death of others....but like Josey Wales says..."Buzzards gotta eat same as Worms"...I don't know.
http://western.oeiizk.waw.pl/biografie/Clint_Eastwood/wyjety_spod_prawa.jpg

bradclark1
09-14-05, 10:11 AM
In regards to Halliburton, I see only made up political complaints. Clinton gave Halliburton alot of no-bid contracts, and I didn't see any whining when he did it. So the Halliburton complaints fall on deaf ears here.

Sea Demon
Actually not. I never heard or gave attention to Haliburton until Iraq and Cheney. I assume by "I see only made up political complaints" and "I didn't see any whining when he did it" you assume I'm a democrat. I'm neither so you can stop your whining about whining. To me this is a valid problem. Yeah someone has to do the job but questionable cost's in the billion plus figures should make one have second thoughts on using them.
Or is your opinion that if they can get away with it let them?

Abraham
09-17-05, 03:54 AM
With thanks to Michelle Malkin (http://michellemalkin.com/mt/mt-MALKIN-tb.cgi?__mode=view&entry_id=3518) (numerous hyperlinks in original article):

THE DEMOCRATS' KATRINA PROFITEER
By Michelle Malkin · September 11, 2005 02:19 PM
From the "Bias? What liberal bias?" files...

On Saturday, CNN.com had a piece [9/12 clarification carried by Reuters] titled "Firms with White House ties get Katrina contracts:"
Companies with ties to the Bush White House and the former head of FEMA are clinching some of the administration's first disaster relief and reconstruction contracts in the aftermath of Hurricane Katrina.

At least two major corporate clients of lobbyist Joe Allbaugh, President Bush's former campaign manager and a former head of the Federal Emergency Management Agency, have already been tapped to start recovery work along the battered Gulf Coast.

One is Shaw Group Inc. and the other is Halliburton Co. subsidiary Kellogg Brown and Root. Vice President Dick Cheney is a former head of Halliburton.
The Baton Rouge-based Shaw Group, CNN tells us, is a major corporate client of Joe Allbaugh, President Bush's former campaign manager and a former head of the Federal Emergency Management Agency. Among its Katrina-related contracts are this one valued up to $100 million from FEMA; and this one also valued up to $100 million from the Army Corps of Engineers.

But in their zeal to embarrass the Bush administration, CNN overlooks one very fat and inconvenient fact--and embarrasses only itself.

The Shaw Group, a multi-billion-dollar conglomerate, is headed by Jim Bernhard, the current chairman of the Louisiana Democratic Party. Bernhard worked tirelessly for Democrat Louisiana Gov. Kathleen Blanco's runoff campaign and served as co-chair of her transition team. Another Shaw executive was Blanco's campaign manager. Bernhard is back-scratching chums with Blanco, whom he has lent/offered the Shaw Group's corporate jets to on numerous occasions.

So, why was none of this mentioned in CNN's Bush-profiteers-are-evil narrative?
Send them a clue here.

Fortunately for CNN, they weren't the only ones guilty of this glaring omission:

UPI failed to note that the CEO of the Shaw Group also happens to be the Louisiana Democratic Party chairman and beleaguered La. Gov. Kathleen Blanco's most influential crony.

So did the London Observer.

And Reuters/MSNBC. And the CBC.

And the NYTimes (reprinted in the Minnesota Star Tribune, the Houston Chronicle, the Scotsman, and scores of media outlets around the world).

Like I said: Bias? What liberal bias?
Thanks for setting the facts straight.
:up:
Alas, as you and I know as well, many people are not convinced by facts...
:-?

bradclark1
09-17-05, 11:46 AM
Ain't that the fact. :hmm: But in this I don't see anyone disputing the facts. Must be your imagination in overdrive again.

Brad