PDA

View Full Version : WW2 Real-time strategy

Iku-turso
08-21-05, 08:37 PM
Can somebody recommend some decent WW2 RTS.
I am big fan of Total war series but also like to play more modern war.
Is there something with graphic quality of C&C Generals but with more realism ?

FesterShinetop
08-22-05, 01:59 AM
Tough one... but if you're a fan of the Total War series you might like Hearts of Iron II. Not very great in the graphics department but quite "deep".
You could probably pick up the original HOI very cheap nowadays to try it out first!
Also check here: http://www.paradoxplaza.com/

Hellcat
08-23-05, 03:58 PM
I would recommend checking out Combat Mission: afrika korps, although its not a RTS it does have some of what you are looking for...

linky www.battlefront.com

Its still a blast to play and a lot more tactical than many of the rts games out there now.

Iku-turso
08-26-05, 07:33 AM
Thanks about tips.

Captain Norman
09-03-05, 11:04 AM
Combat Mission Barbarossa to Berlin is really good as well. Codename Panzers is also not that bad.

FAdmiral
09-03-05, 03:11 PM
Rome: Total War has a sequel coming too. There already is a
demo out for it. It will be called: RTW: Barbarian Invasion
I have also DLed a mod for Rome:TW that expands the original
game & gives the player many more options to play with.
It is called: RomeTotalRealism_v6_full. All these can be found
at FilePlanet downloads section....

JIM

Captain Norman
09-09-05, 04:09 PM
Rome: Total War has a sequel coming too. There already is a
demo out for it. It will be called: RTW: Barbarian Invasion
I have also DLed a mod for Rome:TW that expands the original
game & gives the player many more options to play with.
It is called: RomeTotalRealism_v6_full. All these can be found
at FilePlanet downloads section....

JIM
First of Barbarian Invasion is an expansion pack, not a sequel. And he was asking about ww2 RTS games, not ancient civilization RTS games.

Squires
09-24-05, 02:52 PM
Not sure if these are what you are looking for but:

wartimes, gameplay is similar to what you see in CC:Generals, but set in ww2 timeframe with germany or the allies being the sides to use. A pretty straightforward WW2 RTS. The thing I did not like was the tank upgrades being a bit too powerful IMO. In generals, you stood a chance against the Chinese overlord tanks. In this game, I can take 3 tiger tanks and nearly wipe out my opponent, or at least buy enough time to build 3 more Tigers for another wave immediately. Granted this don't always happen, especially on smaller maps as researching costs resources. The game flopped, I see it on shelves here in the states for 10 bucks now.

The other ww2 RTS I have played is Blitzkrieg, with Blitzkrieg 2 on it's way later this year. A realistic game. Tanks have armor values for all 4 sides of it, making the direction you fire from important. Realistic and detailed, definitely a game to check out if you want realism. The thing I did not like about this game was the maps were kind of boring. No naval units and limited air. You do not have much control over the planes beyond calling them in and giving them a target. But you just got to love a game with a difficulty level called "suicide" :cool: