PDA

View Full Version : Active Sonar Questions

MarkShot
08-07-05, 02:22 PM
I have never really used active sonar, since it announces your presence. However, I realized that at times it can be useful ... like you just got bushwacked and you need a fast solution ...

(1) Does whether you have your TA deployed and/or which TA deployed matter or is the active sonar only using the bow array?

(2) Why when you ping and you get a return, do you get two beeps as opposed to a single?

(3) Does pinging with planes on the rise or dive really improve the performance by reflecting off the bottom or the surface?

(4) Why does varying range scale discard all the results forcing you to have to ping again? (when you change your ITA values in windows, it doesn't throw away everything)

Thanks.

TLAM Strike
08-07-05, 04:12 PM
(1) Does whether you have your TA deployed and/or which TA deployed matter or is the active sonar only using the bow array? On all the current platforms the towed array has nothing to do with the active sonar.

Some real life ships have a active TA (not talking about a VDS) but I don't know if thats simed in DW. But it would only be for AI if it was.

OKO
08-07-05, 04:19 PM
(2) Why when you ping and you get a return, do you get two beeps as opposed to a single?

depend on the signal strengh AND if your target already launched a CM
you near never have a double ping on a submerged contact.

(3) Does pinging with planes on the rise or dive really improve the performance by reflecting off the bottom or the surface?

pinging with plane => you mean with the MH-60 dipping sonar ?
if yes detection capabilities will vary if you search in the layer of the contact or in the other one.
but really not much wil active, more with passive sonar.

(4) Why does varying range scale discard all the results forcing you to have to ping again? (when you change your ITA values in windows, it doesn't throw away everything)

ask Sonalysts :lol:
I suppose it's like this on real world but I'm not sure

TLAM Strike
08-07-05, 04:34 PM

pinging with plane => you mean with the MH-60 dipping sonar ? What I think MarkShot means is does pinging using a sub that has a up or down angle (like Diving Up or Divng Down) improve act performance IE bottom bounce pings.

SeaQueen
08-07-05, 04:57 PM
(1) Does whether you have your TA deployed and/or which TA deployed matter or is the active sonar only using the bow array?

That's called a "bistatic" array. None of that in DW. It'd be neat to play with, though!

Not that I've noticed. I've wondered, though whether in DW, you might get a bottom bounce, and therefore improved performance by selecting different bottom types when designing scenarios.

MarkShot
08-07-05, 05:09 PM
Yes, I meant dive planes.

MaHuJa
08-09-05, 12:20 PM

If there is another object in the water in the area, mine, CM, etc, yes.

Otherwise, there are certain sonar conditions that will create duplicate returns, at the same bearing but varying the distance. Usually the fake return will not persist over a couple more pings. (It will move to some other location) (Besides, you can't mark the false one)