PDA

View Full Version : Interior view in DW like in the old 688(i) Hunter game

cyrusthevirus
08-07-05, 08:36 AM
I suggest to give DW( at least for the submarines) a virtual 3 D interior environment view, as it was in the good old 688 (i) Hunter Killer game. So one will be able to look around the control room and walk into the other compartments.

DivingWind
08-07-05, 09:10 AM
Well its a bit to late to suggest something like that,because the game is released. :D

But in future Sonalysts project (if there will be one) they could do 3D interior.

Imagine Silent Hunter 3 only with modern submarines. :|\

Nieldo
08-07-05, 08:54 PM
That would be real nice, something I look forward to in modern sub sims with good graphics is the way the water moves around the hull, so far ive not seen anything to great in that department

Smaragdadler
08-08-05, 12:33 AM
Quotes from some old battlefront-thread about the same topic reflecting my opinion:

Originally posted by MonkeyWho:
Have any of you played Silent Hunter III? I love the graphics and the game play, but I wouldn't trade it for the multi-station option that we have in Dangerous Waters. Do you think that future versions of DW should continue with the 2D panel versus some sort of 3D option? I vote for the 2D. . especially with the multi-station option. A 3D option. . say of a fully modeled sonar station I think would kind've remove magic of pretending that you are actually manning a sonar station on your computer, rather then knowing that you are playing a game. 3D views are unrealistic without virtual reality glasses. (Meaning one knows that one can not turn his / her head and see what is to the right or left of them, while with the 2D mode you are dealing with computer interface that you actually are typing on) Don't know if that makes sense at all.

Go Sonalysts, and Battefront for, "fronting" them. Great game! I hope they continue the good work! :)

Originally posted by Smaragdadler:
I think DW should more keep concentrating on 'going deep' then 'polishing the surface'. This is where it 'shines'... ;)
2D panel imo is better. I'm interested in more buttons&switches to play with, then in a 'head turning simulator' which enables to see the beads of sweets on the forehead of some virtual guy just pretending to sitting next of me.... :D
(just my two euro-cents]

PS: Nothing bad about SHIII, besides, that it don't runs on my maschine....

to make it clear I have nothing against extraordinary graphic boosting, but please not if the development of game-mechanics has to suffer. First 'sein' - and only then 'Schein'.
My Euro-cents again...

Fish
08-08-05, 04:32 AM
I suggest to give DW( at least for the submarines) a virtual 3 D interior environment view, as it was in the good old 688 (i) Hunter Killer game. So one will be able to look around the control room and walk into the other compartments.

That was nice yes, but only for a few times, then like a intro movie you skip it. At least thats what I am doing.

Blackmuzzle
08-08-05, 05:54 AM
Same here. Being able to walk around inside is fun for some time, then it gets old. MAYBE if you could actually see stuff like people operating the lift mechanisms when reloading torpedos or similar things. But a "regular" 3d internal view? It's in SH3, and you cannot do that much in it, really.

It does add to the immersion, but the question is whether the effort is worth the effect.

Kapitan
08-08-05, 06:41 AM
it would be nie but it could have draw backs

Overkill
08-08-05, 07:52 AM
I agree. It's interesting the first few times and then ya just hit the short cut keys to jump directly to station.

Also kind'a freaked me out how the officers in SH3 always stared at me out the corner of their eye....like somehow they knew I wasn't German an didn't entirely trust me. :lol:

SquidB
08-08-05, 12:04 PM
Yeh i agree, i think that a 3d interior veiw would quickly become boring. Instead work to improve the exterior graphics...ie the models and landscape/seascape.

Ultimatly tho this is not a game thats about pretty visuals its about realism and thats where the real effort should go.

TLAM Strike
08-08-05, 01:36 PM
I don't know why people are amazed at SHIII's interior view; any layman can do a halfway decent one...
http://img344.imageshack.us/img344/1476/crew5zt.jpg
...This is for Virtual Sailor...

cyrusthevirus
08-08-05, 03:46 PM
Yeh i agree, i think that a 3d interior veiw would quickly become boring. Instead work to improve the exterior graphics...ie the models and landscape/seascape.

Ultimatly tho this is not a game thats about pretty visuals its about realism and thats where the real effort should go.

I agree on the fact that there should be an improvement of the exterior graphics as well as on the models. But the interior view as in the old 688 (i) Hunter game has been quoted by "reviewers" as part of the excellent implementation of interior submarine views.., I can`t see what is wrong with that , and one will have the option to switch the interior view on / off at the end of the day, anyway!!!
Those of you who are bored with it may choose to switch it off.
And yes, SH3 is a different story because it`s less a simulator rather a game.
Maybe graphic improvements will even attrack more people to the genre?!
:P

Kapitan
08-08-05, 03:50 PM
i like it the way it is i dont think i could ajust to another view just me realy

Ultraboy
08-08-05, 05:57 PM
I think there are times when a 3D interior view is a nice thing to have, like when the boat is in a fast dive or is pitching left and right. That would be pretty cool to have in a modern sim like DW/SC, but, as stated before, it's not really necessary. In SH3, however, where the combat is ship vs. sub at close range, i.e. depth-charge attacks, the 3D view actually adds more than simple eye-candy. When all you can see is the inside of your boat as it gets tossed around and the lights are going on and off and pipes start bursting, it enhances the gameplay experience a great deal. In my opinion, modern subsims wouldn't have much opportunity to use those type of effects, at least not realistically.

(Besides, when in combat in DW, you really shouldn't have time to look around the control room anyway :) )

But, because there are those who really would like a more "immersive" experience while playing DW, I offer a few suggestions:

1) Paint your office, bedroom, or wherever your computer is, completely grey and decorate with various mock-ups of panels and displays and such.

2) Attach your chair to a sturdy base with a small hydraulic power-pack and two or four cylinders to simulate your boat's movement.

3) Have a friend or neighbor stand by to shake your chair when you take damage, or in the event you're destroyed, have them throw a bucket of water at you as fast as possible.

These are just a few ways to improve your experience, hopefully this helps.

Kapitan
08-09-05, 01:40 AM
already had the bucket of water over me :( but i didnt sink just my dads way of saying get the f**k off the computer :D

Hartmann
08-09-05, 03:56 PM
Fast attack game no was a 3d enviroment but have nice stations and screens of the sub.

http://www.subsim.com/ssr/fastcrew1.jpg

http://www.subsim.com/ssr/images/fastat1.jpg

http://www.subsim.com/ssr/fa5a2.jpg

cyrusthevirus
08-09-05, 04:11 PM
I think there are times when a 3D interior view is a nice thing to have, like when the boat is in a fast dive or is pitching left and right. That would be pretty cool to have in a modern sim like DW/SC, but, as stated before, it's not really necessary. In SH3, however, where the combat is ship vs. sub at close range, i.e. depth-charge attacks, the 3D view actually adds more than simple eye-candy. When all you can see is the inside of your boat as it gets tossed around and the lights are going on and off and pipes start bursting, it enhances the gameplay experience a great deal. In my opinion, modern subsims wouldn't have much opportunity to use those type of effects, at least not realistically.

(Besides, when in combat in DW, you really shouldn't have time to look around the control room anyway :) )

But, because there are those who really would like a more "immersive" experience while playing DW, I offer a few suggestions:

1) Paint your office, bedroom, or wherever your computer is, completely grey and decorate with various mock-ups of panels and displays and such.

2) Attach your chair to a sturdy base with a small hydraulic power-pack and two or four cylinders to simulate your boat's movement.

3) Have a friend or neighbor stand by to shake your chair when you take damage, or in the event you're destroyed, have them throw a bucket of water at you as fast as possible.

These are just a few ways to improve your experience, hopefully this helps.

:P I really had fun with your suggestions, thanks for your posting, mate!!

Besides, yes you`re right when it comes to combate situations.. but in reality you are not always in combat, are you? :smug:

Ultraboy
08-09-05, 11:40 PM
Besides, yes you`re right when it comes to combat situations.. but in reality you are not always in combat, are you? :smug:

Good point, but I would argue that while you're not always actually fighting in DW, you're still looking for the fight. That is to say you're always kept busy by sonar, TMA, etc. There isn't a heck of a lot of straight sailing time where you don't have anything to do, like in Silent Hunter 3. Having said that, there are times I still wouldn't mind being able to look around the control room and click on, or "walk" to the station I want, rather than using hotkeys alone.

If the "sim" value isn't compromised, eye-candy is never a bad thing to have. :up:

Oberon
08-10-05, 01:05 PM
Fast attack game no was a 3d enviroment but have nice stations and screens of the sub.

http://www.subsim.com/ssr/fastcrew1.jpg

http://www.subsim.com/ssr/images/fastat1.jpg

http://www.subsim.com/ssr/fa5a2.jpg

Now that takes me back :D

SubMonkey
08-14-05, 08:01 PM
I actually am hoping to build an interior room for my computer network so I can host a LAN game with people all manning stations for one ship.

So I vote for 2D interior graphics like we have. Maybe some newer looking interfaces, but I'd rather keep the 3D for exterior shots.

Just my take! :)

3D for SH3
2D for DW! :) :sunny:

Sulikate
08-16-05, 07:29 PM
This tread made me think about it, and I got really impressed with the kind of experience DW would turn if it was in 3d. take a look at SHIII:, those explosions, the water, the crew around you. even if it would be a little more boring (because modern subs usually don't face close combats, and depth charges to shake its hull), I would really like it.

I like the way DW, is now, but I think that 3d would add a new world to the development of modern sub games.

:arrgh!: