PDA

View Full Version : Using dual monitors.

Col7777
08-05-05, 07:11 AM
Don't get excited, unfortunately it isn't like flight sim where you can have 2 views going at once, or at least I don't think so.

I do have 2 monitors connected to the PC, if you are like me and sometimes forget which key does what, I have them in Notepad and and opened up on the other monitor while playing SH3.

I'm wondering if anyone else has any more ideas for using a second monitor in SH3?

Duncan Idaho
08-05-05, 07:38 AM
I do have 2 monitors connected to the PC, if you are like me and sometimes forget which key does what, I have them in Notepad and and opened up on the other monitor while playing SH3.

I'm wondering if anyone else has any more ideas for using a second monitor in SH3?

I often open up a copy of my web browser pointed to the atlas at Microsoft's Encarta.com when playing air/sub sims, so I can get far more enhanced information than most games generic maps give on geography, and such.

To me, it enhances the depth of, say SH3, to know that my favorite hunting spot is the North Channel, near the Inner Hebrides, south of the coast of Islay, as opposed to just vague recognition of the spot on the nearly detail-less SH3 map. I also find it a great way to learn more about the geography of the planet.

Here's a link to the atlas, in case anyone wants to do the same.

http://encarta.msn.com/encnet/features/mapcenter/map.aspx

Duli
08-05-05, 07:45 AM
Duncan, nobody has asked anything about maps. :lol: :D

DerKaleun
08-05-05, 08:01 AM
Duncan, nobody has asked anything about maps. :lol: :D

But for the use of the second display, and Duncan said, how he´s using it :)

Great Idea Duncan, me also has the encarta now. I used to have useless stuff until today.

Duncan Idaho
08-05-05, 08:25 AM
Duli: Hmph, get up on the wrong side of the bunk today did you? :lol:

Glad you found my suggestion useful, Der Kaluen. I did think when I responded it was a handy use for a second monitor, can't see why it wouldn't be considered worthy or useful.

Duli
08-05-05, 09:30 AM
Oops.. :oops:

Hehe. :D

Col7777
08-05-05, 09:38 AM
Great idea Duncan. :up:

I never thought of the map, good thinking.

kholemann
08-05-05, 11:04 AM
duel or dual monitors?

DerKaleun
08-05-05, 11:23 AM
duel or dual monitors?

We can start to count peanuts also :88)

;)

Knotical
08-05-05, 11:40 AM

How do you manage this? Do you have 2 video cards? I have a Nvidia 6800 Ultra with 2 outs, and run 2 monitors. However, when I start a game the other monitor goes blank untill I minimize the game and go back to the desktop. Granted I have not tried it with SHIII but it hasn't worked for me in any other game.

Akula_971
08-05-05, 11:40 AM
I have two monitors, but my mac mini is plugged into the other. So whilst I'm on patrol, i'm also surfing the net, writing emails. Good for those long patrols in distant waters.
As to duel monitors, they never fight, why one is much bigger and stronger than than the other. 17" vs 14". But the 17" one will soon be knocked off his throne by the 24" Dell monitor on its way. BTW can I have one of those peanuts?

Ov coarse Englisch iz importtant init? No wat I meen guv?

SteamWake
08-05-05, 12:41 PM

How do you manage this? Do you have 2 video cards? I have a Nvidia 6800 Ultra with 2 outs, and run 2 monitors. However, when I start a game the other monitor goes blank untill I minimize the game and go back to the desktop. Granted I have not tried it with SHIII but it hasn't worked for me in any other game.

Check your video card options.

There are different configurations .. Mirror images, Spread Accross, Seperate images etc. It gets pretty involved but check it out.

jumpy
08-05-05, 12:56 PM
web browser, msn, winamp, AutoCAD... there's just loads of stuff on the go whilst I'm sailing the ocean blue. Got so used to 2 monitors that I couldn't go back to just one... same at work ;)

Use 'dual view' on 6800 cards not 'clone' etc to span your desktop over the two so you can see both when game is running.. or something like that, also make sure that only your primary monitor has hardware acceleration- advanced settings single display mode.
Play with all those settings mmmmmmm

Richard Zapp
08-05-05, 05:20 PM
Using dual monitors here....

Evga 6600GT video card
Ultramon ver 2.5

I run SHIII on my right monitor and keep the jpg file of the nav map on my left monitor....I can reference it for convoy routes etc while playing.

Lt. Senior Zapp
U-551

Mistmatz
08-08-05, 06:01 AM
Sad enough I only have dual screens at work (which is a huge efficiency boost!) but at home I'm stuck with a single monitor. :(

Nevertheless I recommend Google Earth for map information, you'll probably be able to spot your own house and lots of waves in the Atlantic. Really cool stuff and its free. :cool:

Link: http://www.google.com/search?q=google+earth&sourceid=opera&num=0&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8

c0sm1c
08-08-05, 06:27 AM
Hmmmm wonder what it would be like on an Apple Mac set to Panoramic mode (3 Screens)

lifer
08-08-05, 09:05 AM
I completely missed this thread...otherwise I would have posted this http://www.subsim.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=41380 in here.. sorry :-/

perdu
08-08-05, 09:12 AM
well SH3 on a monitor, and IL2 on the second :rotfl: :rotfl:

totaly useless et very poor FPS :rofl