PDA

View Full Version : Information please

ridgewayranger
08-02-05, 06:20 PM
I've been through the manual several times but cannot find the significance of a) The different colors on the map when contacts are shown. I assume friendly, enemy and neutral?
b) The different colored cursors in target view?
c) Why my tubes never reload although I put a crew in the torpedo room? :oops:

Tullaian
08-02-05, 06:26 PM
a)

red= enemy
green= neutral
blue= friendly

b) not sure either. I assume you mean the green and yellow target triangles in the periscope views ? Gyro angle perhaps ?

c) you may not have enough crew in there. It takes a lot of people to reload the tubes even though you only need a few in there to fire. Also they won't ever reload if you are under Silent Running regardless of numbers as that is too noisy.

DerKaleun
08-02-05, 06:36 PM
a) and b) answered above.

c) if you donĀ“t have automatic loading selected (what is on by default) you have to drag and drop the eels with the mouse.

Duncan Idaho
08-02-05, 07:29 PM
b) The different colored cursors in target view?

I've figured this one out: If it's green, you're well lined up for a shot. If it's yellow, you might hit it. Orange...probably shouldn't shoot. Red and you will never hit your target. (Note: It is linked to forward or rear torpedos, if you have a forward tube selected and you look at a target aft, you'll get the red triangles, switch to rear torps and you should get green, that has helped me avoid foolishly shooting off a torp with the wrong tube selected a few times lol)

ridgewayranger
08-03-05, 10:43 AM
Thanks for your help Guys, but I still can't get those darned torpedoes loaded. I have a full crew in there with an officer and 2 qualified petty officers. When I check the reloading I get In queue for reloading. Still like that when I return to base. With auto load off where do I drag the torpedo to? Is there another manual somewhere? :damn:

Shadow9216
08-03-05, 10:52 AM
Is the indicator bar all the way green? You may not have enough crew, despite the two torpedomen. I had a similar problem, added some seamen and it worked out.

Kafka
08-03-05, 11:01 AM
Thanks for your help Guys, but I still can't get those darned torpedoes loaded. I have a full crew in there with an officer and 2 qualified petty officers. When I check the reloading I get In queue for reloading. Still like that when I return to base. With auto load off where do I drag the torpedo to? Is there another manual somewhere? :damn:

Also, you might be looking at the wrong tube. Your crew can reload only one torp at a time. Hover the cursor on all the tubes being reloaded and you might see the countdown ticking on only one of them. Then again, If you have only one tube empty and being reloaded, a full crew assigned, and nothing happens, then I'm stumped... :-?

ridgewayranger
08-03-05, 11:13 AM
I have a full torpedo crew, 2 tubes waiting for reloading, both say they are in the queue, no time countdown, nothing.I press W in case they are still open. Can't fight my campaign like this.HELP!!! :damn:

SmokinTep
08-03-05, 11:19 AM
Not on Silent Running?

How about any damage to the room?

btaft
08-03-05, 11:58 AM
What is the green bar efficiency of the room. Depending upon how tired your crew is there is still a chance that you may be below the minimum efficiency to do anything in the room

Carcassonne
08-03-05, 12:20 PM
ridgewayrunner,

I've run into the same problem. What I have done in the past is hit silent running and then disengage it. I've found that sometimes upon loading a saved game the the boat is secured for silent running even when I don't see the icons. It's what I can "stuck".

ridgewayranger
08-03-05, 01:00 PM
Back again. Green bar efficiency below 50% but surely they don't just stop loading? I still have empty tubes after 4 days or more. I've only completed 2 missions, both poor because of no reloads!As I said in my string about boring SHIII, there is too much detail .

Twelvefield
08-03-05, 01:22 PM
Try practising with the torpedoes in the convoy academy mission, or the torpedo mission. Just launch the torps right away at whatever, and try to reload them. There should be no fatigue or silent running issues in the academy. Then, if you still can't figure it out, please report what is happening.

canimo
08-03-05, 01:25 PM
The green triangle means a gyroangle of + - 5 degres, from zero ( -5 to +5).

iF its yellow means another angle that i cant recall now, but with the same logic :rock:

Gunfighter34
08-03-05, 03:19 PM
Some of these have already been ably answered but I'll just answer everything I know to summarize and so everything will be in one place:

a) For map contacts, BLUE denoted friendlies, GREEN denotes neutrals, and RED denotes enemies. Large boxes denote convoys. You will notice a difference in orientation of the icons for warships and merchants. Also, the "tail" sticking out the end denotes direction, i.e., the vessel will be moving in the opposite direction of the tail. Sorry, know some of this is obvious, but just want to be complete.

b) A GREEN carat means you have a GOOD gyro angle on the target. Your eel will not have to change course much coming out of the tube. In other words, you're lined right up in ideal firing position. YELLOW means your gyro angle is within acceptable limits for the torpedo. ORANGE means you are at the limit of acceptable gyro angle; you can fire, but I'd advise waiting. RED means you're outside gyro angle, check your stern tubes if you've got a bow tube selected or vice versa, you may be in angle from the other end. :)

c) Your torpedo tube problem sounds like a pain in the ass, but I'll give you what tips I can. Try following these steps:

FIRST, make sure your torpedo room has adequate, RESTED crew. If your crew are exhausted they're not going to get the job done very well, so move your red exclamation marks to quarters and get them rested up. Use as many qualified weapons officers and petty officers as possible, then fill up the rest of your slots with able seamen.

SECOND, if you have MANUAL RELOAD selected, you will need to go to your weapons officer, click on him, click your weapons management icon (the two torpedoes in the box), then you will need to find a torpedo in your reserves (it's all labeled in the window), click on that torpedo, then drag that torpedo over one of your empty tubes and hold it for a couple of secs. The torpedo icon in the reserve slot should then turn grey and if you hover the mouse over it it will give you a load time. You move eels from your external to your internals the same way.

If you have auto reload on, as someone suggested try rigging for silent running and then going back to normal routine, or even saving the game, exiting out, and reloading. I'd suggest in future always using auto loading unless you have some special eels and you want to save them and use them situationally or some other exceptional circumstance.

Worst case scenario is that this is a buglet and you're screwed, but I kinda think (and hope) not. Hope some of this helps.

RevRaz
08-03-05, 04:33 PM
50% is too low.

Back again. Green bar efficiency below 50% but surely they don't just stop loading? I still have empty tubes after 4 days or more. I've only completed 2 missions, both poor because of no reloads!As I said in my string about boring SHIII, there is too much detail .

ridgewayranger
08-03-05, 06:33 PM
Thanks for all the suggestions.
I installed RUB 1.42, when on a mission, sunk a merchant at 3000 mtrs and reloaded. EUREKA. :sunny: