PDA

View Full Version : Friendly Radio Message!

FritzHeinz
08-02-05, 01:01 PM
What the heck should I do with this. :o I have received contact reports of enemy convoys, but this is the first time I received a radio message from a German surface vessel. Only problem is, it is 1130 km away, so I will never be there in time. Or is it just 'for show'

Anyone ever seen these before and do you know what to do?

toryu
08-02-05, 01:04 PM
What the heck should I do with this. :o I have received contact reports of enemy convoys, but this is the first time I received a radio message from a German surface vessel. Only problem is, it is 1130 km away, so I will never be there in time. Or is it just 'for show'

Well don't keep us in suspense - who was it and what did it say?

SmokinTep
08-02-05, 01:12 PM
"Keep up the good work"............. :lol:

Kafka
08-02-05, 01:53 PM
"Keep up the good work"............. :lol: :rotfl: :rotfl:

SteamWake
08-02-05, 01:55 PM
Friendly contact ! Meh... "Be more aggressive" :hulk:

FritzHeinz
08-02-05, 02:13 PM
No it wasn't our friendly BdU telling me to be more agressive or asserting me I'm doing a good job. It was a message originating from a friendly (Blue) ship-icon (Diamond).

You can even ask the radioman to report it and then he tells me 'nearest radio contact is 1130 km away'

It will cost me 42 hours to get there, so I will probably never know what was the real message :down:

redstorm101
08-02-05, 02:44 PM
No it wasn't our friendly BdU telling me to be more agressive or asserting me I'm doing a good job. It was a message originating from a friendly (Blue) ship-icon (Diamond).

You can even ask the radioman to report it and then he tells me 'nearest radio contact is 1130 km away'

It will cost me 42 hours to get there, so I will probably never know what was the real message :down:

Do you have the" radio mod" ?

Ula Jolly
08-02-05, 03:47 PM
I got this message once in the stock game, on my sixth patrol. Was raiding about Trondheim when a friendly radio message received: Commerce Raider NW of Norway's coast.

As if it was just a "Just so you know".

FritzHeinz
08-02-05, 04:21 PM
Just so i Know? :stare: Why does BdU want me to know? He must know I am a busy guy, so he wouldn't just spam me with 'friendly' messages, would he? There must be more behind this (i hope) :smug:

oh, btw no radio mod...

Beery
08-02-05, 04:23 PM
Only one thing to do - check it out and be sure to tell us what happens. :yep:

Ula Jolly
08-02-05, 04:40 PM
In my case, the contact was about two days away. Difficult to check out. :up:

FritzHeinz
08-02-05, 04:44 PM
Well I am surprised so few captains have had these kind of messages. I will need to investigate it then. Probably restart the same patrol and head directly towards the location where the message will appear.

joea
08-02-05, 04:46 PM
Just so i Know? :stare: Why does BdU want me to know? He must know I am a busy guy, so he wouldn't just spam me with 'friendly' messages, would he? There must be more behind this (i hope) :smug:

oh, btw no radio mod...

So you don't go doing something dumb like uhhh SINKING your comrades by mistake. :doh:

Duncan Idaho
08-02-05, 07:57 PM
I once got a message from MYSELF of all people. I got a message from U-51, said he sunk a small merchant sixteen hundred and some odd tons. Thing is, I was in U-51, and I hadn't shot at or got near any small merchants, so I was a bit puzzled by that. I now use radiolog, but I might not have been using it back when that happened.

Detritus
08-03-05, 04:07 AM

You don't have to do anything. I don't know why exactly they keep sending these messages but you can just ignore them if you want. If it's a commerce raider, you could try to hunt together, though in your case the distance is ' a bit' far :P It seems that they tend to find targets fairly well, so it may turn out to be beneficial to go with one. Then again, they go pretty fast so you'll be spending quite a bit of fuel and they may even steal your kills.

_alphaBeta_
08-03-05, 07:21 AM
Well I am surprised so few captains have had these kind of messages. I will need to investigate it then. Probably restart the same patrol and head directly towards the location where the message will appear.
I've seen this as well. Twice in the same patrol. You get a "friendly contact report" giving the position, speed etc for a commerce raider. It even shows up on the map view. It's always up by Norway. I've received this message while below Ireland and again going thought he English Channel on my way back to port.

It's never happened when I'm even somewhat close to it, so it's impossible to get up there and see what all the fuss is about.

Beery
08-03-05, 10:20 AM
I had a weird message yesterday in a single mission. I was doing the Gibraltar mission, and about a minute into it I got two messages from BdU. The weird thing was that they were in English. I play my game 100% in German.

gws226
08-03-05, 11:38 AM
I get those FYIs all the time.

They have all been positionings on Commerce Raiders. I assume it just to let you know. In the game the Commerce Raiders look distictively different then regular commerce ships. But in the real life, they were to blend in the rest of commerce shipping, i imagine flying under a different flag, and I'd assume could very easily be mistaken for the enemy in a submarine's periscope.

Shadow9216
08-03-05, 11:50 AM
and I'd assume could very easily be mistaken for the enemy in a submarine's periscope.

Very true. Ali Cremer's promising first patrol ended in a court martial after he torpedoed a returning commerce raider. He was acquitted after it was revealed the ship was not in the designated "safe" grid for returning.

Ula Jolly
08-03-05, 05:49 PM
Then the case should find its rest: Yet another way to bring more realism into the game, by pointing out to the player "Obs! If you run into this guy, he's a friendly one!"

Very nice touch by the developers. :up: