PDA

View Full Version : Senior Officer gone missing :damn:

SouL_AssassiN
07-29-05, 06:43 AM
Hes hiding in my sub somewhere , last seen on patrol 8 in charge of the repairs.
Checking recruitments back at base shows 5 of 5 officers.
But cant see him in any compartments patrol 9 and 10 he still hasnt come out of hiding. Im pretty sure he signaled a DD by banging on the hull, since it took me 2 hrs to shake loose from its search area.

...So seriously is this a known bug or does any one know how to fix it, as patrol 9 and 10 were 100000+ tons patrols I dont wanna go back.

Hes gonna get a disonrable dischare when I find him

JBClark
07-29-05, 09:02 AM
This happened to me once a long time ago and the only way I could get my errant officer back was to reload from an earlier patrol. This ticked me off but it didn't happen again, until yesterday. Once again I had to give up my last two patrols to find a save that had all 5 officers. That worked but I was so frustrated just started a new career. :hulk:

What is really confusing is why I had to go back 2 patrols. It retroactively erased that officer from previous save games that had shown no problems. :hulk: Between all the CTDs and now this, I am about ready to give up on this very fun but horribly infested game. :hulk:

Good luck. If you figure something out let me (us) know.

jasonb885
07-29-05, 09:04 AM
One possible reason he's gone, or so I've heard, is if you have an officer on damage control when you return from a mission.

I haven't confirmed it myself, though.

Duncan Idaho
07-29-05, 10:10 AM
One possible reason he's gone, or so I've heard, is if you have an officer on damage control when you return from a mission.

That's what causes it, for sure. If you're intrepid and know the crewman's name, you can delete them by removing their information in the crew_career_XX.cfg file in your Careers folder while in port, (where XX is the highest numbered one there). Just copy a blank entry from one of the empty slots over the person you need to get rid of. Then at least you can replace them.

You can try moving them to another slot, too, but that can be unpredictable.

rulle34
07-29-05, 10:27 AM

That's what causes it, for sure. If you're intrepid and know the crewman's name, you can delete them by removing their information in the crew_career_XX.cfg file in your Careers folder while in port, (where XX is the highest numbered one there). Just copy a blank entry from one of the empty slots over the person you need to get rid of. Then at least you can replace them.

I just want to confirm that this happened to me too when I had an officer in the repaircompartment. I always take him "down" from there before I end my patrol!

Hes hiding in my sub somewhere , last seen on patrol 8 in charge of the repairs.
But cant see him in any compartments patrol 9 and 10 he still hasnt come out of hiding. Im pretty sure he signaled a DD by banging on the hull, since it took me 2 hrs to shake loose from its search area.

You are funny :rotfl:
But did you really going out on TWO patrols leaving your XO hidden in the sub somewhere??? :rotfl:

/Rulle

SteamWake
07-29-05, 10:42 AM
Hes cowering in the corner of the diesel room asking for apple juice and muttering something about worthless sob Captain :-j

August
07-29-05, 12:02 PM

You don't need to do this.

Your missing officers info will show up in at least one other crew slot (somewhere in the first 11 slots), depending on how many compartments he was moved to during your last game session. The game doesn't erase the info when you move someone out of the slot, it just changes that NrComp number to -1 to show it as unoccupied. The only time it completely over writes the slot info is when you move another crew member into the slot.

Crew member slot 11 will have a NrComp number of 11 (damage control officer slot, see list below) change that to -1.

Find one of the other slots his info appears in and change that nrComp number from -1 to one that matches the list below.

-------------------------
Officer slots by compartment and NrComp number.

Conning Tower Bridge
Nr Comp 0
Officers slot number = 00

Control room
Nr Comp 2
Officers slot numbers = 02 03 04

Bow Torpedo room
Nr Comp 5
Officers slot number = 07

Bow Quarters
Nr Comp 6
Officers slot number = 08

Stern Quarters
Nr Comp 7
Officers slot number = 09

Diesel Engine compartment
Nr Comp 3
Officers slot number = 05

Electric engine compartment
Nr Comp 4
Officers slot number = 06

Aft Torpedo room
Nr Comp 8
Officers slot number = 07

Damage Control
Nr Comp 11
Officers slot number = 11

August
07-29-05, 12:06 PM
One more note:

If you can't find your officers info in any slot besides compartment 11(because you moved another officer into that slot before saving) then find one of the other 10 officer crew member slots that has a -1 and copy/paste your missing officers info into that slot. Afterwards don't forget to change the NrComp number as explained above.

SouL_AssassiN
07-29-05, 12:39 PM
cheers August will try what you sugested
and thanx for the speedie reply's all :P

I'm still going to right click him out a topeedo tube, :hulk: The crew didn't like him much anyway alway shouting "We're all gonna die!" every time I gave the order to submerge.

Duncan Idaho
07-29-05, 05:12 PM
[You don't need to do this.

Excellent! Much better than my way.

cathode
08-07-05, 06:47 PM
Damn this vanishing officer, hooray for this forum.

If I hadn't looked at this thread weeks ago I would have had no idea where to turn to get back my invisible officer when he vanished after my last patrol.

I tried editing the compartment numbers in the crew career cfg but that didn't fix the problem.

I re-launched the game, looked at the crew management screen and wrote down the names of the four officers I had, then went back into the crew career and found the name I was missing (damn you Otto) and copy/pased a blank crew entry over the two times he appeared.

At least then I was able to enlist a replacement officer and it's all good now.

cathode

August
08-07-05, 07:04 PM

If I hadn't looked at this thread weeks ago I would have had no idea where to turn to get back my invisible officer when he vanished after my last patrol.

I tried editing the compartment numbers in the crew career cfg but that didn't fix the problem.

I re-launched the game, looked at the crew management screen and wrote down the names of the four officers I had, then went back into the crew career and found the name I was missing (damn you Otto) and copy/pased a blank crew entry over the two times he appeared.

cathode

Didn't work? It should have. What were the two crew_member numbers? What values did you put in the NrComp?

Damo1977
08-07-05, 08:40 PM

...So seriously is this a known bug or does any one know how to fix it, as patrol 9 and 10 were 100000+ tons patrols I dont wanna go back.

Hes gonna get a disonrable dischare when I find him

With the name off "Soul Assassin" no wonder he has gone missing

cathode
08-08-05, 08:20 AM
Hi August....

Here were the original entries (from the my backup of the cgf file) that seemed to be causing the problem with my missing officer in the crew careers...

[CREW_MEMBER_11]
Name=Otto Totenhagen
Index=13
NrComp=-1

Otto also turned up here

[CREW_MEMBER_3]
Name=Otto Totenhagen
Index=13
NrComp=-1

and here

[CREW_MEMBER_1]
Name=Otto Totenhagen
Index=13
NrComp=8

As the NrComp appeared correct in entry 11 and 3 I changed his NrComp to the one for the stern torpedo room in entry 1. But no luck, he was still missing.

So I went the quick and dirty route just to copy/paste over any reference to Otto.

This is one hell of an annoying thing to happen. I did have Otto in the damage control party but I'm certain I moved him out of there before returning to port.

Cheers, cathode

August
08-08-05, 11:39 AM
Interesting. Normally the game automatically moves anyone, officer or enlisted, in the damage control crew_member slots to any vacant slots upon exiting the patrol.

However since crew_member slot 1 isn't used, anyone moved to that slot is lost when you restart the game.

I'll bet when the game was being developed there was an officers slot in compartment 8 and when it was eliminated this was a loose end that was never fixed.

redstorm101
08-08-05, 05:41 PM
Hes cowering in the corner of the diesel room asking for apple juice and muttering something about worthless sob Captain :-j

That is funny...... :|\ ...... :rotfl:

August
08-08-05, 06:25 PM
That should mean (now that i'm home and thinking about it) that to recover a lost officer all one has to do is start his next patrol, save and exit, then change crew_member 11's Nr Comp entry from -1 to 11.

SouL_AssassiN
08-13-05, 08:44 PM
cathode
PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2005 9:17 am Post subject:

cathode

yes I had the same problem too, couldnt get him to show back in port after doing the change nrcomp. just wondering is the .cfg meant to be edited while at sea or in port ? I did mine in port