PDA

View Full Version : This game is aggravating

No Booty
07-27-05, 10:59 AM
Hello,

Before I break these discs into a thousand pieces due to the frustration this game has caused, could someone help guide me through why the torpedoes and harpoons seem to always miss their targets?

I have the patch. I use ESM, visual, sonar to identify targets.

I use the TMG to assign the target. I set the torpedo speed to 40 knots. I 've tried using Autocrew and no Autocrew.

Say the target is at 10000 m, I set the enable at 9000 m.

I even try launching a second torpedo at passive, enable run at 9000 m.

I made a trial mission with one other vessel, besides my sub to test what I might be doing wrong. Setting different distances for the enemy vessel. Still the same problem...all weapons go right on by their intended target.

I had the same trouble with Sub Command.

I played 688i Hunter Killer and absolutely love that game.
Also love Silent Hunter 3.

I hate this game.

When a game isn't fun...there is no point in playing it.

This game is not fun and on the verge of homing in on the trash can.

Please can someone give me some advice.

Thanks,

Gern :damn:

ShadowWulf
07-27-05, 11:29 AM
:o :hmm: I’m pretty sure your doing something wrong. I'm pretty new to subsims though haven’t had trouble sinking ships in either game. Don’t mean to insult if this isn’t the case but you are actually sending firing solutions in TMA (if you use autocrew for TMA it makes the game a lot easier). I wondered if this was the case since you said the ship was at 10000m (don’t know if you were just giving a random number or if that was actually it since I have never seen a solution that approximate). Another possibility is that since you are enabling the weapons so close to the target (9/10 of the way) the target could actually pass your enable range (if its heading toward you) and the weapons could be activating behind it. Might want to try changing your rte number/percentage. 75% of the targets range is generally a good rte range. Also if you haven’t read it i would recommend reading the Sub Command HQ, Multiplayer Tactical Employment Manual by TIMMYG00 I was able to pick up on the works of SC by reading it and almost all of it applies to DW as well, you can download it from subsims or subguru. Hopefully it will help you out, and try not to give up on the game. Its not always as aggravating, first two weeks can be a b*tch though if you haven’t played another modern subsim and know how everything works.

Stealth Elephant
07-27-05, 11:49 AM
Just because a contact shows up on your map does NOT mean that that is exactly where it is. Only if you have visual contact coupled with sonar contact and maybe some ESM findings will you be truly sure of the target's distance in relation to ownship (your ship).

I'm still new to Dangerous Waters, and have only just started to figure out why my torpedoes always find empty ocean. They head in the general DIRECTION, but that's not to say that the target is exactly that distance from me. Plus, the minute you open those torpedo doors any other sonar-equipped vessel in the general area (i.e. enemy submarines) will pick up that your weapons are armed, so they're ready to crank up the engines to evade (and launch countermeasures) when they hear you launch some fish.

Try to "triangulate" your target with sonar readings, if possible. Meaning, get bearing lines towards a contact from three separate angles. Then, check out the little triangle that shows up between all of those intersecting points and bingo, there's your target.

No Booty
07-27-05, 11:54 AM
How do you set the rte?

I appreciate the help.

Gern

No Booty
07-27-05, 12:23 PM
Yes, the problem was the rte. I tried what you said about setting it to 75% and finally sank my first boat in this gamer.

I tried also using triangulation which helped too.

Thanks a million!

Gern

Kapitan
07-27-05, 04:21 PM
what sub do you command ?

ShadowWulf
07-27-05, 08:01 PM
No prob. Just keep on practicing and youll get the hang of it real quick. It took me 4 days to sink my first ship and 2 weeks to win my first sub vs. sub battle. Though now (about two months later) i sink 9/10 ships i fire at and win sub battle around 7/10 and the ones i loose generaly end with the enemy dead as well.

As far as the TMA one thing you could do, which is what i usualy do, is turn on the TMA autocrew. They practicaly hack, autocrew can place a perfect solution with only sonar, and most of the mistakes the make (they have about a 70-80% accuracy) are generaly obvious. Sometimes they will classify a contact as a torpedo traveling at like 5 knots (which is generaly a sub since some subs have signatures close to certain torpedos, akula isnt far from a 65 cm if i remember right. Other times there will be a surface ship that is moving on its normaly route and then your tma guys will decide its now moving at 50 knots in a differant direction (just remember its most likely where it was before). So overall even though it isnt completely accurate autocrew is probabley alot more accurate than the average simmer and it gets a solution in about .5 seconds where as doign TMA yourself can take alot of time, expecialy if you are going to keep checking up on it to adjust your solutions. If your playing multiplayer you practicaly have to use the autocrew to hope to win. Sad as it is even a master at TMA could have a hard time beating someone with autocrew on simply due to the fact that they are actualy working it out wile the computer just gives the opponent a most likely pinpoint accurate solution in less than a second, giving the opponent more time to start up a firing solution and get ready for clearing dantum. TMA is in my opinion the hardest system to learn and i personaly just dont really enjoy doing it (hehe probabley because im not very good at it) and with autocrew you can spend more time in the sonar room and other stations (looking for those nearly impossibly to see missile launches :rotfl: )