PDA

View Full Version : Open Source World War 2 Submarine Project

Zachstar
07-26-05, 04:03 PM
With the current events with UBISOFT I have decided its time to start a great undertaking.
------------------------------

We need a submarine simulator that we can mod to the fullest extent.

We need to make full use of Open GL to provide access to users of Linux, Mac and other OS's

We need it to be free and designed by the community. A CVS open to those who want to contribute. Im sure this can lead to great things for the sim as opposed to me working on it alone (And taking many many years to finish :P)

This is not in anyway an attempt to attack UBISOFT or the good people who design mods for the community. I just feel that the way things are going we will most likely not see an SDK and add-on and may not even see Silent Hunter 4.

Seeadler
07-26-05, 04:07 PM
All that is here ;)
http://dangerdeep.sourceforge.net/

Zachstar
07-26-05, 04:15 PM
Actually no it isnt. It is what some the basic goals are but im talking of a real big thing with the graphics nearer to SH3.

With the whole submarine campaign from every country that had them deployed in WW2. US, Germany, Britain, France, more...

Im glad its being worked on but the scopes are different.

Seeadler
07-26-05, 05:05 PM
Actually no it isnt. It is what some the basic goals are but im talking of a real big thing with the graphics nearer to SH3.
My smiley above was a bit of ironic. This project has to fight with the same problems as such a project in these community would have.

The problem is to get a large heap of individualist from here over a time interval of approx. 2 years or more under a roof and also hold it there.
This idea of an own community subsim project here is not new, it came up here repeatedly times in the last years.

07-26-05, 05:43 PM
Oh no, not another WW2 subsim :hmm: :ping:

Dargo
07-27-05, 09:12 AM
Would be great when there are surface ships (destroyer,cruisers,battleships) like with DC vs SH2 but than in one game.