PDA

View Full Version : Dont bring a gun to a knife fight

SquidB
07-19-05, 06:24 PM
Heh,

Just finished a MP 4 way battle. Chose the kilo, a sub I like but have little experiance in. :88)

Anyway now i know the torps carried have a 10 nm range. :damn:

Had good fun but will think about choosing it twice when in bluewaters vs nucs. :doh:

Anyway, despite this games many fobiles/things that could do with fixing, MP is always a blast.

Hope to see more of you lot on hyperlobby :up:

XabbaRus
07-19-05, 06:43 PM
Yea Hyperlobby has quitened down a bit.

I think SCS need to move the World Cup to a higher gear but I am thinking that the patch is what they are waiting to release before it goes ahead.

Bellman
07-19-05, 10:07 PM
SquidB - with the Kilo I guess you actualy brought a knife to a gun fight. :D

Shes like a 'punt gun' nice for stalking sitting ducks but there the rub shes just too one dimensional. :down:

Ula Jolly
07-20-05, 06:14 AM
When using the Kilo, it could be nice to create a range circle from the sub, with a radius of 7.5nm. That seems to be a good outer limit for anything but Starfish.

Caseck
07-20-05, 11:20 AM
Kilo is like a mobile mine.

If someone bumps into it, it's very bad for them.

Outside of that it has short legs.

SquidB
07-20-05, 11:57 AM
Yeh i know this now, In littoral waters against surface targets it the dog whotists. But its handicaped by the range of it sensors and weaps in a sub vs sub contest.

Still this little barrel of fun intrests me. Think ill spend more time with it.

Anyone have any Kilo related tips?

MaHuJa
07-21-05, 12:35 PM
Do set a range circle on your kilo - 10nm is fine. This is the range of the perry active sonar, and it's just about the range of your weapons.

For ASW work, use the russian kilo. The chinese ones doesn't have any teeth (torpedoes) that are really good against subs. (Particularly against the seawolf) The exception is the KLUB kilo (where the klub asw is actually a preferred weapon)

Stick to littorals when possible.

Active sonar being the best at locating you, always turn directly towards your target. (Weigh up against the need for using the flank (conformal) array)

(With finiteless' mod, forget about ASW. I could pick up a 688i at 7 knots at 150m USING THE "CLICK CHEAT"!)

Try to get close. Against a seawolf, you should fire from within 2nm - depending on the weapons, of course. (This will apply until acceleration is far slower, and does not include reaction time nor the maneuvering time to turn away from your weapon, which will extend it a bit)

Use the improved kilo rather than the kilo when you have the opportunity. If the kilo is "invisible" then the improved kilo doesn't exist...

Since the speedsound fix, keep your speed down. 3 knots is ideal, it affords a reasonable turning ratio when you need it, it allows you to keep your depth (I suppose 1 knot may), and it doesn't tear into your battery.

The kilo is made to get a lot of weapons in the water quickly, and then get away.

LOL@ Caseck's "mobile mine" - but it is darn accurate.

SquidB
07-21-05, 01:37 PM
Sound words there, I guess the kilos just a different kettle of fish so to speak. I do like it though as (i found out) its just not a nuclear sub with a different engine.

So you rekon that i can get to within 2nm of a seawolve and not be detected?

Anyone else back this up, is the kilo that quiet?

Ula Jolly
07-21-05, 02:48 PM
All I know is that the Seawolf is that quiet! I was once less than two nm from a Seawolf, and I can only hope that the bastard didn't see me at 20 knots, because I sure did not! Maybe I was temporarily blind...
Anyway, the Kilo can't be that quiet... quite quiet, nearly impossible to hear at 3 kts and 10 nmi, but if you are a tad lucky, you could pick it up "easily" on NB. I'll run some tests!

MaHuJa
07-21-05, 07:37 PM
I've had situations where I've detected a seawolf first - and not been counterdetected before launching weapons (within mentioned range)- though for the most part, that's been AI subs at varying speeds. I don't remember the specifics though, so I'll be looking forward to seeing what your tests show.

Though I'm fairly confident not all were fast.

TLAM Strike
07-21-05, 07:47 PM
So you rekon that i can get to within 2nm of a seawolve and not be detected?

Anyone else back this up, is the kilo that quiet? Oh yea, I've sneaked up on a player SW. I would have killed it but the TEST-71 torpedo was too slow.

XabbaRus
07-22-05, 02:47 AM
OK in reply to this thread I am just wonderinf if anyone can remember that area of south east asia where there are quite a lot of undersea valleys and mountains where the depth is shallow enough for most subs to take advantage and hide behind them.

Fish where are you it was you who found this area.

Who would like to play MP in this area with a simple mission, no goals as such just a bunch of subs...

I've done it against AI but no fun.

Bellman
07-22-05, 07:53 AM
Xab,

RADM Fish has revised those SW scenarios which were current a year ago. There is little continuity, rightly.

I remember the one you refer to and it sticks in my mind that it was 40 or 41. Cant be sure. Last played it about a year ago.

It was a heck of a lot of fun - off Indonesia, I think, with a surface group to the NE . out of the Op. Area.
There were 3 or 4 serious seamounts plenty of distracting civs. and the wizard had set up a very complex
set of starting parameters which completely foiled any of the 'preparation' fraternity.

For MP it was difficult but immense fun. My favourite. :rock: :rock:

Molon Labe
07-22-05, 08:08 AM
2nm passive sonar detection range for a kilo is reasonable, depending on the sonar conditions. I'd believe anything closer than 5nm, unless the Kilo was cavitating of course.

XabbaRus
07-22-05, 04:16 PM
Seawolves site doesn't seem to be working or else I'd download the missions...

Syxx_Killer
07-22-05, 08:28 PM
I love using the Kilo. It is so silent. I guess I also have a sweet spot for diesel subs. If I had to choose a nuke, it would be the Akula. It is so sleek, and carries a very nice loadout of weapons. :D

SquidB
07-22-05, 09:13 PM
cool 2nm detection on average? Ive been playing the fiesty diesel down.

Of course ill have to test that in MP, but if its true, and i respect the learned opinion here then the kilo could be a whole bucket of fun.

On the whole i love the russian subs, they are quirky and deadly and look amazing.

Now if only we could have a trafalga class in there.....

Bellman
07-22-05, 11:57 PM
:) Guess I may revisit my 'punt-gun' label of the Kilo. :hmm:

This is a guy who is conservative in a big way - jumped into the Seawolf three years ago and stuck like glue.
Wouldnt look at the Ak - but lately have been taking her out 'very seriously'

What a revelation - possibly changes comeing with DW but she's a dream. (Apart from ESP TMA) :up:

So deja vue - now its the Kilo thats a 'dog' Will I ever learn ? :damn:

I can see she's a real challenge (forgetting BB fault) Would be a lot of fun to dive her in scenarios populated with sea mounts. :cool:

Bellman
07-23-05, 05:50 AM
Xab, I went through all the current SW 1.8 scenarios and could not identify that area. It seems to have gone with the revisions.

Nor so far has a search of DW missions thrown it up.

RADM Fish might reveal all ? His preference now seems to be for islands rather than seamounts .
With that in mind, the following looked interesting:-
SC 1.8 SC2-45, SC3-15-17 and SC3-19
SW DW50 Ha'apai group Tonga is inviting.

Spectator
07-23-05, 04:54 PM
well kilo against ssn's ... might work in some cases but generally the kilo was made for attacking surface targets. sneaking through ssn defence and blowing the big surface vessel, that's what the kilo skipper is trained for ;)

Bellman
07-24-05, 12:03 AM
I will settle for Kilo v Kilo in MP scenarios populated with seamounts/islands and Fish fish etc.

Would give a new meaning to 'knife-fights' ? ;)

Bellman
07-24-05, 03:35 AM
OK the Kilo isnt designed for this sub v sub stuff but I thought it might be fun to pitch Kilo v Kilo
in a MP scenario with a little sneaking around seamounts and islands. ;)

Called it a 'Kilo of Kilos' its 1 v 1 with some active AI subs lurking around too.

PM me or :lol: tell me where to stick it !