PDA

View Full Version : Airpower - replacing low-level attack with toss-bomb

Syxx_Killer
07-19-05, 08:38 AM
I like the mod, but was wondering how do I change the B-24 and Wellington to drop the bombs from high altitude like before? I am using Rubini's harbor traffic mod and would like the B-24 attacks to be realistic. Is there a file I can just replace with a stock one to make it normal again? I only want to use a stock file if the "toss-bomb" and "low-level attack" commands were the only thing changed.

Rubini
07-19-05, 09:06 AM
Sixx_Killer,

I'm at my work now. Later I will post here the download link for a correction on Jace's Airpower to run with traffic mod air attacks, ok?

Greetings,

Rubini.

Jace11
07-19-05, 09:15 AM
Its a hex value. I think it is in the sim file for a plane. Look for a text string IS_LEVEL_BOMBER then after that there is a 00 or a 01. Check a few aircraft sim files to make sure you have the right byte. 01= Level High Alt, 00 = Shallow dive bomber

http://img339.imageshack.us/img339/6987/untitled8lu.jpg (http://www.imageshack.us)

Syxx_Killer
07-19-05, 09:43 AM
Thanks guys. I really appreciate it! :up: :rock:

You could post the link, Rubini. :yep:

Thanks, Jace. I'll take a look at it later. :D

macstu23
07-19-05, 11:24 AM
Good stuff. One thing I dont like is the way large aircraft, like the Sunderland for example, use dive-bombing attacks as if they were ground attack fighters. I'd expect a Stuka to behave that way, but certainly not a Sunderland.

Jace11
07-19-05, 11:58 AM
http://img61.imageshack.us/img61/8862/surfacea8lw.jpg (http://www.imageshack.us)

There appear to be two choices with aircraft AI, high level "toss" bombing that is always inaccurate, or the dive approach to low-level. Personally I am of the opposite opinion, that to see a Sunderland toss bomb from 1000m and splatter depth charges in a loose scatter hundreds of meters from the U-boat is more unrealistic than supposing it can dive and deliver a more accurate attack.
The Liberator is more confusing as it appears more like a high level bomber in game, instead of something more relevant to a subsim like the VLR patrol planes that closed the Greenland gap and accounted for many U-boat sinkings. The devs gave it high-level AI, green skin, and no depth charges, I reversed that cause when I sail into the atlantic I am not a target the size of a German city or an oil refinary.

Anyway, those who want to change them for whatever reasons now know how.

Shadow9216
07-19-05, 12:15 PM
The devs gave it high-level AI, green skin, and no depth charges, I reversed that cause when I sail into the atlantic I am not a target the size of a German city or an oil refinary.

Which is why I'm trying to clone the Liberator. Then we can have one version for high altitude attacks on the ports or whatever (painted green) and the lower level VLRs for open-ocean. Painted blue of course, for my VP brethren.

Jace11
07-19-05, 12:26 PM
Ah, I thought about that at the time. How are you going to make certain that the high-level bomber type isn't the one that is sent to attack you?

I'm not sure there is an obvious way to distinguish which planes do what. They either spawn or they don't and that is dependent on range/probabilities etc, type doesn't come into it,

The only way I can see would be to remove the Liberator from all airgroups in the Land folder and replace it with the Privateer, then have the Liberator bombing raids as scripted groups in the SCR layer. That might work.

Shadow9216
07-19-05, 12:41 PM
More or less what I was thinking- change the type of bomber and attack profile, which is why I felt we needed a "new" plane- makes it a little easier to manipulate

Rubini
07-19-05, 12:54 PM
I agree with you Jace and it's possible to have a special B24 high level bomber that isn't in the LND layer only for high level bomb attacks (like AI uboats).

By the way, here is the link to download the airpower update for traffic mod. I modified the ranges for the big planes (to avoid attacks while you are still in ports and restore the stock sim file for B24 and Suderland. Obviously it's possible to make your own adjustments. Only 5kB.

http://rapidshare.de/files/3184433/Airpower_for__traffic_mod.zip.html

Rubini

redstorm101
07-19-05, 06:01 PM
Rubini......Great mod! I even get attacked at night! this mod adds to the sim!.......Good work man!........... :|\

Rubini
07-19-05, 06:26 PM
redstorm101,

Thanks for the feedback. I think that it's impossible to script only day light air attacks in SH3. BTW, I like the late war air attacks too! :up:

Rubini.

Duke of Earl
07-19-05, 06:44 PM
'Toss Bombing' is the dumbest lookin thing I have ever seen.. which is why I prefer to see the B-24's do the other dive-bomb method...

Now, if B-24's did high level straight bomb runs... without tossing the cookies... like '12 O'Clock High' style... that would probably be closer to the mark and I could live with that...

The next dumbest thing I've seen is the 'go-vertical-stall-out' turn arounds... if I ever had to copilot with someone who did that, I'd beat him to a pulp as soon as we got back on the ground...

SH3 aircraft physics is somethin else indeed...

Cordialement, Duke of Earl

Rubini
07-19-05, 07:25 PM
Duke of Earl,

I agree with you. See that big planes dropping bombs in your alone sub is worse. That vertical maneuver is a shame. :down:

The late war air attacks in the mod is a attempt to do this in the right way: high altitude, only one pass, straight ahead bombing ( BTW, the RUb version don't have these air attacks ).

To find a better way to do this in the scripted layer is the reason of our effort on make a clone of the B24.

Greetings,

Rubini.