PDA

View Full Version : Fiji class for Canada

macstu23
07-11-05, 02:09 AM
I modified the 'CLFiji.cfg' from the British roster and added it to the Canadian roster, giving the Canucks the Fiji class light cruiser 'HMCS Uganda'.

Formerly a Royal Navy ship, HMCS Uganda was the only ship of her class to enter service with the Royal Canadian Navy during WWII. She was re-commisioned into the RCN on 21st October 1944, so she should spawn in the SH3 campaign after that date...At least i think she should anyway. I'm only at June of 1941 in my current campaign so it'll be a while before I know for sure.

Only slight inaccuracy is that HMS/HMCS Uganda was one of 3 Fiji class, along with HMS Ceylon and HMS Newfoundland, that lacked the number 3 main gun turret. Extra AA armaments were put in its place. Unless some else models another Fiji variant, the stock Fiji model will have to do for now. ..eh? :D

Download Canadian Fiji_ms23.zip here;
http://rapidshare.de/files/2963040/Canadian_Fiji_class_ms23.zip.html

http://img146.imageshack.us/img146/6438/hmcsuganda3ju.jpg

Jace11
07-11-05, 06:42 AM
good, there are many more that can be done. Evarts to Great Britain and Brazil. More merchants types for smaller nations. US and German Flower class Corvettes (germans captured 4 in French Ports)

etc etc

Shadow9216
07-11-05, 08:20 AM
I modified the 'CLFiji.cfg' from the British roster and added it to the Canadian roster, giving the Canucks the Fiji class light cruiser 'HMCS Uganda'.

I'm at work now, so can't D/L...what/how did you modify? I've been experimenting with the rosters to add other nations, including warships and aircraft. So far all I did was copy the files from the sea and/or air folders in the country folder under roster and paste them into a new folder in the country I wish. Did you change some aspect?

macstu23
07-11-05, 08:40 AM
There's a thought Jace. The British also had a captured Type VII-C, HMS Graph, formerly U-570, from 19th September 1941. Not sure I'd want the only submarine in the British roster to be a type VII though.

I felt the Canadians were a little under represented...And even though the Uganda is better known for her Pacific role, being the only Canadian ship to fight against Japan during WWII, she did start her RCN service in the Atlantic, visiting the UK and Gibralter before arriving in Sydney Australia on 4th May 1945. I figured that was a good enough reason to include her in SHIII.

I looked at the possibility of using a different skin, as she would have had a green maple leaf painted on one of her funnels, (adopted as official practice on RCN ships since before WW2 as their ensign was identical to the British Navy's)...But I dont think its possible to add one without it appearing on other parts of the ship so it could be a bit messy. Pity.

sergbuto
07-11-05, 08:52 AM
She was re-commisioned into the RCN on 21st October 1944, so she should spawn in the SH3 campaign after that date...At least i think she should anyway.

Unfortunately, there are no entries for the Canadian cruiser to be spawned in the stock campaign. You need to edit campaign files for that.

LukeFF
07-11-05, 08:56 AM
Unfortunately, there are no entries for the Canadian cruiser to be spawned in the stock campaign. You need to edit campaign files for that.

Would that apply as well to having a Royal Sovereign Class BB flying under the Soviet flag?

sergbuto
07-11-05, 08:59 AM
Would that apply as well to having a Royal Sovereign Class BB flying under the Soviet flag?

Yes, it would.

Wulfmann
07-11-05, 09:01 AM
I have added many ships that were transferred to other navies but, they will not, as this Fiji class, show up in the campign unless you change your campaign RND and or SCR.mis files to make them. It would not be that hard in either case.
Open either file in notepad, click edit, click find and type in CLFiji. and click find (you likely know this but for others that may not, I am elaborating). As you scroll dowm continue to the next one until you arrive at a time you want this to appear and change the origin or nationality from British to Canadian. It might be easier to go to the bottum and search up instead of down from the beginning as this was a late war ship.
Wulfmann

macstu23
07-11-05, 09:32 AM
[quote]
I'm at work now, so can't D/L...what/how did you modify?

Most importantly you'd have to modify the nationality in the display name. Here's what the Canadian CLFiji.cfg looks like if you open it with notepad;

[UnitClass]
ClassName=CLFiji
UnitType=6
AppearanceDate=19441021
DisappearanceDate=19460101
DisplayName=CA CL Fiji

[Unit 1]
Name=HMCS Uganda
DOC=19441021
DOD=19460101

Since there is only one Canadian ship of the Fiji class, it wasnt too much of a headache.
Notice that as well as changing the Dissapearance/Appearance dates for both the UnitClass and Unit 1 , I had to use 'CA' instead of 'BR' for the DisplayName. This of course confirms it's nationality as Canadian and not British.

If you compare the units on the British and Canadian ship cfg's in their Rosters, you'll be able to work out what you have to change. All you really need to know beforehand are the new ships name and their dates of service start and end.

I also made sure to name her 'HMCS Uganda' so that it differed from the Royal Navy ship 'Uganda' already listed as 'Unit 9' in the Data/Roster/British/Sea CLFiji.cfg...which incidentaly has the wrong DOD date listed for that unit. You might want to change it from
'19460101' to the more accurate '19441021' to avoid the possibility of both ships existing at the same time as two different units.

Hope that's all clear enough. Hasn't crashed my system yet, but i'm not 100% sure she'll spawn as a Canadian ship until I see her through my periscope some date after October '44....If I'm not fish food by then. :-?

macstu23
07-11-05, 09:37 AM

Just saw your message after I'd already posted my last one Serg. Had a feeling there was something I didnt do. I assume that would be fairly straighforward ? I've never opened a Campaign.CFG before to have a look. Too scared to touch it.

macstu23
07-11-05, 09:45 AM
I've never opened a Campaign.CFG before to have a look. Too scared to touch it.

I meant of course the Campaign.SCR, not .cfg. :damn:

Shadow9216
07-11-05, 12:42 PM
So, Macstu, what's your cruiser going to do? Is it going to sit at anchor, patrol the high seas, where can we go to find her?

macstu23
07-11-05, 04:38 PM
Download link is in my first post...but here it is again to save you the trouble of scrolling up.

http://rapidshare.de/files/2963040/Canadian_Fiji_class_ms23.zip.html

Click the 'Free' button at the bottom of the page, then the download link at the bottom of the next page..where it says
'Canadian Fiji class_ms23'

I'll work out how to include it in the Campaign.scr later, once i've gotten my head round how to do it.

Shadow9216
07-11-05, 07:58 PM
That's what I really was looking for- how is it going to be found in the game.

Schultzy
07-12-05, 08:52 AM
Downloading... Thx mate, nice idea! :up: