PDA

View Full Version : Waves! I need waves!

mrfritz44
07-08-05, 10:34 AM
Reminiscing my Coastie days I felt the need to see large......I mean LARGE seas in the game.

How can I manually increase the wave height to say, 10 times the current size?

I'd just like to play around a bit with the wave and ship physics to see what happens.

Anyone know?

Catfish
07-08-05, 10:42 AM
Hello,
try the "Big waves" mod, abvailable at Subsim.com (SH3 download section) or here: http://u-boot.realsimulation.com.
Be aware that ships (skimmers, that is ;) ) may sink, especially destroyers, trawlers and PT-boats ...
Greetings,
Catfish

Mr.Elendig
07-08-05, 10:45 AM
I use the 1.25x wave pack and it's perfect. (still not large enough wawes during storms, but you won't get 5 meters wawes in calm wether ether.

mrfritz44
07-08-05, 12:13 PM
Can anyone explain how to get wave heights in excess of 50 feet? Is 100 feet possible, or is it beyond the capabilities of the engine?

Drebbel
07-08-05, 12:16 PM
Can anyone explain how to get wave heights in excess of 50 feet? Is 100 feet possible, or is it beyond the capabilities of the engine?

Just submerge and you will see what a wave of 50 feet looks like ! :P

fenian
07-08-05, 01:58 PM
Hey mrfritz... I'm a retired Coastie! When and where for you? I was a HS ret in 2000 at Seattle

gonzman
07-08-05, 02:01 PM
I've got 1.4b and no wave mods and i've seen waves large enough to totaly cover the sub, i'd say unless you're bolted down thats enough to possibly lose the watch crew.

I was under the impression waves are huge enough as it is!

HEMISENT
07-08-05, 02:26 PM
3 versions of the Big Wave mod I use the middle version(1.5) waves are still pretty good but a lot less ships sink in the storms. I read somewhere that RUB(?) was addressing ship stability to cause less floundering, haven't heard anything more on the subject.

Semper Fi

mrfritz44
07-11-05, 06:39 AM
I was in Gloucester and Merrimack River for my four year stint (95-99).

I'm at the point in SH3 where I want less to be historically accurate and more experimental with the capabilities of the graphics. I've lost that sense of awe from watching the game's waves and I want to see how large the waves can really go.

Anyone know how to modify them besides applying prepackaged mods? I think it would be cool to make 100 footers or more and just see what happens to the U-boats,. It's a thing left over from the days when I would burn plastic Army men :88)

Thanks,

Fritz

The Avon Lady
07-11-05, 07:41 AM
Just great! The SH3 Expanision Pack turns out to be a remake of The Poseidon Adventure! :damn:

fenian
07-11-05, 09:51 AM
Sorry but that remake is filming as we speak... Sad that Hollywood has lost all original thought.

Daz
07-11-05, 12:39 PM
to each his own but I did not like the big waves Mod and Gave it the flick pretty quick.The bigger the waves get the less real they look and the U-boat does not react to the bigger waves as well, riding high up the face of the waves then crashing down as one might expect does not happen.
it's not how big your wave is it's the motion on the ocean!

mrfritz44
07-13-05, 10:20 AM
Can someone refer me to someone who may know how to make this modification?

Seaboy
07-13-05, 05:07 PM
Yeah, the submerge idea is best - go down to 200 meters - and you'll have a really big wave.

KodiakPA
07-13-05, 05:34 PM
I'm a Coastie PA1 stationed in Kodiak. I wonder how many other Coasties are around here. BTW I use the big wave mod and love it, makes the storms look more real for sure.

Ben
07-13-05, 06:56 PM
In the stock game, I already see waves that completely submerge the bridge, and force the diesels to shut off. :o

CRULL
07-13-05, 10:42 PM
Just great! The SH3 Expanision Pack turns out to be a remake of The Poseidon Adventure! :damn:

Now...now...little trooper you might damage your head pan if you keep banging it like that. Take that frown and turn it upside down and let the sunshine in. :sunny:

mrfritz44
07-14-05, 10:08 AM
Noone knows how to do this??????????????? Pretty, pretty please?

VON_CAPO
07-14-05, 06:07 PM
Noone knows how to do this??????????????? Pretty, pretty please?

The file that modify waves is scene.dat, located in SilentHunterIII\data. But I don't know which parameters to modify, sorry.