PDA

View Full Version : Sonalysts World Cup - Rules and Tournament Outlines

mcmt
07-11-05, 03:04 PM
Is someone playing without autocrew sonar?
Respect :o ...

sonar732
07-11-05, 03:49 PM
Is someone playing without autocrew sonar?
Respect :o ...

That would be me... :rock: :rock: :up: :smug: :know: :ping:

mcmt
07-11-05, 05:04 PM
heh :cool:
I think it's time for me, to learn how to use deamon :know: .
Sonar is ok, I can use it, understand it. I'm always playing Los Angeles or SeaWolf and sometimes there is no time for tracking contacts or it's very (too) hard; how to track for example 5 contacts, when for example 4 torpedoes are in the water, and u r changing course :doh: :88) .
Oh! One more question: How to read sonar data from UUV without autocrew sonar? :oops:

sry about my english

MaHuJa
07-12-05, 12:18 PM
heh :cool:
I think it's time for me, to learn how to use deamon :know: .
Sonar is ok, I can use it, understand it. I'm always playing Los Angeles or SeaWolf and sometimes there is no time for tracking contacts or it's very (too) hard; how to track for example 5 contacts, when for example 4 torpedoes are in the water, and u r changing course :doh: :88) .

With a limited amount of trackers, you do have to prioritize which contacts get tracked. Other than that, mind the fact that there is 12 trackers available, although capabilities differ. (except kilo, which has two and a mark button)

When "there's no time for tracking" you should either change your strategy (or gameplay if the problem playing into "knife fights only" games) or learn how to interpret the sonar directly, as in getting the big overview just looking at the broadband screen. Then, you shouldn't really need to track torpedoes etc (which are what's causing you problems, right?)

Oh! One more question: How to read sonar data from UUV without autocrew sonar?

Autocrew has nothing to do with this.

mcmt
07-12-05, 05:05 PM
With a limited amount of trackers, you do have to prioritize which contacts get tracked. Other than that, mind the fact that there is 12 trackers available, although capabilities differ. (except kilo, which has two and a mark button)
It's helpfull, but when autocrew sonar is off, contact is marked by u, will informations about it be auto-tracked and send to TMA? I've never played with autocrew sonar off and i thought I have to press MARK on this broadband contact with a certain frequency, for info to go further to TMA.

gameplay if the problem playing into "knife fights only" games
I don't like knife/guns only games :P.

Autocrew has nothing to do with this.
eee... :huh:
When I was playing Los Angeles or Seawolf, autocrew sonar, data from UUV was added to TMA, and map, but I have never found any broadband or anything from UUV.

I know, that's not a 'how to" topic. sory :P

sonar732
07-12-05, 05:34 PM
The UUV detections show up automatically on the nav screen and TMA..they are updated on TMA. One problem is that it's a different sierra number though, so if you don't have auto-TMA on you'll have to merge contacts. On the TMA screen the UUV passive will be white, while the UUV active will be green. I use the UUV in my tactics just in case I can't see a 50 hz tonal because they are that good.

What was the situation where nothing was on BB? The UUV might've detected something being quiet on purpose. Also, the UUV will detect own ship and designate a Sierra number to it.

Amizaur
07-12-05, 06:03 PM
By the way - should the UUV be so good in detecting LF noise ? It's a small device and often performs better than hull-mounted sub sonars ! It's because sub sphere sonars works from 800Hz up, hull sonars 100Hz up, but UUV sonar works from 0Hz up - detects LF all the way down to zero!
Shouldn't such small device have higher low frequency limit that big submarine hull sonars ? In theory even it's small physical dimensions only should seriously reduce their LF performance... Same for torpedo passive seekers...

sonar732
07-12-05, 06:25 PM
By the way - should the UUV be so good in detecting LF noise ? It's a small device and often performs better than hull-mounted sub sonars ! It's because sub sphere sonars works from 800Hz up, hull sonars 100Hz up, but UUV sonar works from 0Hz up - detects LF all the way down to zero!
Shouldn't such small device have higher low frequency limit that big submarine hull sonars ? Same for torpedo passive seekers...

They were in use after I left, so I don't know.

EDIT: Found this in fas.org via LITTORAL ANTI-SUBMARINE
WARFARE CONCEPT Naval Doctrine Command 1998

http://www.fas.org/man/dod-101/sys/ship/docs/aswcncpt.htm

Long Range ASW Unmanned Undersea Vehicles (UUV)

A torpedo-like sensor/tagger with extended range, a UUV is operated remotely or autonomously to detect and tag submarines, perhaps with remote command & control. Operating autonomously for lengthy periods, UUVs would require high efficiency propulsion, maneuverability, sensors, stealth, data processing, and connectivity. Multiple UUVs would operate simultaneously in probable submarine operating areas, searching and assessing the environment. Collected data would be communicated at regular intervals or continuously.

mcmt
07-13-05, 04:14 AM
What was the situation where nothing was on BB? The UUV might've detected something being quiet on purpose. Also, the UUV will detect own ship and designate a Sierra number to it.
I mean, there is no screen or room with data from UUV, no broadband picture named 'UUV' like for example 'Hull' or 'Towed'. But whatever, it's ok now, I'm playing without autocrew sonar. :cool:
Thx for information. :know:

They were in use after I left, so I don't know.
Hehe, left what!? Sounds interesting... :)

sonar732
07-13-05, 07:28 AM
mcmt,

Maybe they were out of the UUV's range. I've ran into that multiple times and it sucks when a torp comes a few seconds later down a bearing from no where.

OKO
08-03-05, 01:27 AM
Hi all

here is a long post, and I hope you will read it to the end, and comment it, with good spirit and good arguments.
thank you in advance.

about auto crew

when the work is just to plot a contact, there is no interest at all to need to always stay in the front of the station to be sure you don't miss THE important new track.
This is why there is crew aboard ships and not only a commander ....
ESM, RADAR, Active intercept and CM have excellent autocrew, and figure exactly what they are supposed to do as crew.

So I recommand the use of AC :
- Surface CM
- Surface EW
(surface already have radar AC ...)
- Helo CM
- Helo MAD/ESM
- Helo radar
- Air ESM
- Air Radar
- Air CM

no more and not less AC

The need to stay in the front of a station JUST to clic on a new track represent strictly NO interest at all, for gameplay neither for realism.

It's just inacceptable you've been hit by a missile because you didn't had EW alert, because you were on another station at the wrong time, when, on a real ship, there will be ALWAYS someone at this station.
It's also inacceptable the need to stay on your radar to refresh contact position where, here again, there is ALWAYS an operator in the real thing (and AC are not as strong as player to find faint contact here, one more reason to let AC radar ON ...).

Same for CM, in case of alert, you could have lots of thing to do, and if you are 1 or even 2 in a plateform, you won't have the desired time to engage security procedures and to do the rest of the work.

thats why AC is justified and needed for radar, EW/ESM/MAD, and CM.
Without them, plateform are just sitting duck to incoming danger, when they are not in the real life.

concerning the TMA AC, I disagree

Where do you built your situation awarness ?

How do you choose your position your speed and your course ?

When do you decide to engage ?

How do you do your tactical manoeuver ?

you do all of this depending on the information you received and you analysed from the battlefield
If you let the AI doing all the job here, this simulation just become a press button. No hesitation, no error, the AC TMA will do all for you and will show you everything accuratly
Instead to use your brain, you just need to look at the screen.
Gameplay, fun, level of the fight just decrease a lot using AC TMA on sub (I will talk about AC TMA frigate just after), and ... kill 90% of the game interest, ESPECIALLY on a tournament with crew and MS !

I know there is lots of people who never use manual TMA, and think it's a very complicated story. It is just not.
I never used the AC TMA from the first day of SC, and I'm not a mathematician, neither scientist or naval crew.
I learned alone and trained enought people to know it's REALLY not difficult to understand and to explain how to use TMA
In fact, the more important thing in DW is to put your ship in good listening position during the LOB acquisition process, and the TMA become REALLY cool and easy to do, with only 3 clean LOB on merged contact with SSN, and 6 clean LOB on a single track on any sub.
ALWAYS less than 5% of error in both case.
clean LOB mean LOB acquired in good condition (no vector change -neither up/down or left/right) on your sub, and speed ABOVE 7 knts WITHOUT speed change for TMA with towed array.
that's all you have to do to make a perfect TMA (and the one of DW is near perfection)

If you have 3 to 5 people in a team, you MUST HAVE at least one of them able to use manual TMA on sub (... that is the most complicated one, frigate TMA is EASIER, I develop after).

So I really believe using AC TMA in a tournament with crew will just pull the level, and the interest, down.

I just come back to the frigate TMA.
What does it stand for ?
MAIN thing is just to .... merge contact !
95% of the job at the frigate TMA is just to merge contact
when do you make a TMA here so ?
using EW, towed array and sometimes active sonar
do you often use EW TMA ? no, because if you have an EW track, you are supposed to have a radar contact, and to MERGE them.
I explain => remember one thing : the AC TMA of the fregate is a cheat
look at the range of the TMA plot : it's just 25000 yards in the max range
So how could the AC TMA give you a so accurate TMA on an EW contact at 20 miles ? You can say cheating, because you just CAN'T do it yourself to this range ... it's just impossible because ... it's out of the plotting table !!!
Now the TMA on the Towed Array LOB : same thing, you just couldn't do the same manually over 12 miles, when the AI could do it sometimes twice the distance on a loud contact.
doing a TMA on TA with fregate is exactly the same as for sub, with smaller range capabilities, but no more simple or difficult (depending on the target path ...) than in a sub.
So, I personnaly near NEVER use the frigate TMA to analyse a target path (except with active sonar where it is just trivial and very easy to use ... putting the ruler on the top of the active bearing lines, child's work)
The TMA of the fregate is the tool to make your screen clear, to merge all from the same contact coming from different sensor.
Thats why it's a station who need very FEW and occasionnal work.
no need to AC at all here.

To resume, we (mille sabords team) worked from the first day of the release (and me from the first day of the beta test) on the excellent and exhaustive selection of autocrew and multiplayer options.
There is lots of options to have a nice learning curve, even on MP, and that's great ... at start
But we finally found, some months ago now, once everyone has some experience, the way to make the game the more realistic and interesting possible, to limit overload of work without killing the brain work, and we stand now with the same options for some month, just because our games are on top with this.

here is the complete choice =>

everything locked by the host except :

- All radar AC
- All EW/ESM/MAD AC
- All CM AC

- also "show link data" free (you could want to hide them and there is no reason you couldn't do this)

- also "disable 3D" free (it's just your solution here and not the reality) but some will say it could be a cheat ... a really very little cheat in fact ... I don't want to argue without contradictor, but I could argue with one :o)

- also enable winds/current/waveriding

- allow engage with menu disable and locked by host, to be a bit more realistic (and I'm not really sure it works anyway ... just a detail here)

- and, of course, disable multiplayers options during game

I can say each time we changed these setting we were coming back to this again, just because it's the best way to configure MP settings.
I really think a tournament with crew should also use these settings, for the interest and the quality of games.

I must say this kind of thing is VERY important to consider for an international tournament, and could just botch up the pleasure and the interest of games ...
Of course, I'm not here to say you must do this or that, but I can assure you the best game you could have is just with the setting I mentionned above.

Maybe we can deal without the radar/EW/CM AC, even if I don't agree for above reasons.
Mille sabords could be very interested in your tournament.
But with AC TMA, I just can say you won't see us at all (even if you don't wait for us of course) just because we could have more interesting games on our side.
So I personnally really hope you will change your mind about it, and hope my blabla will let you think about it.

Because I'd like to join you.

Molon Labe
08-03-05, 02:15 AM
He's right. :yep:

The "mechanical" functions are perfect for using autocrew. No sense distracting a human player from something important just to mark every ping, for example.

Functions that require the thought, like sonar and TMA, should be left to human players. Although we may want to be nice to the FFG guys, that tiny sheet of paper is worthless for targets with any range on them.