PDA

View Full Version : I can't get into this game

TDK1044
07-06-17, 09:23 AM
I really tried to like this game, but I find it not to be immersive. It feels to me like you're in charge of a very sophisticated underwater drone. There's no atmosphere to the game.

I get that there's a lot of strategy, and you certainly need to be very skilled to play it at the highest level and survive, but it does nothing for me. I much prefer the cat and mouse experience of the far less sophisticated WWII U Boat encounters in the Atlantic, where I'm part of a crew fighting for survival.

I will therefore patiently await the release of UBOOT. :)

Wiz33
07-06-17, 10:43 AM
I can certainly understand that. You give it a honest try. It's why some people prefer WWII sims vs modern sims. It's more hands on and satisfying to see the guns hitting the enemy plane and pieces falling off or watching your manually calculated torp spread race for a merchant . Modern air and naval combat is more detached. It's all about killing the enemy without being seen or at least being shot at by return fire. To me, I just don't want to get my hands dirty ;-P

jrolson
07-06-17, 10:46 AM
Who isn't awaiting the release of UBOOT. :03:

TDK1044
07-06-17, 11:51 AM
I'll always support any new subsim and Dev team.....I'm just a WWII U Boat guy at heart :)

Wiz33
07-06-17, 11:58 AM
I'll always support any new subsim and Dev team.....I'm just a WWII U Boat guy at heart :)

Yea, Military sims are so rare nowadays that I tends to buy them all just to give the devs some support.

KevinM
07-06-17, 12:01 PM
Yes, I want to try this too...but I don't want to spend $40 to try it out and find I don't like it, and go past the Steam refund window...

I was hopeful of this going on sale in the last Steam sale, but no luck, so I am going to hang fire at the moment, as $40 is too much to gamble right now...

I doubt this will go on sale anytime soon, being so new, so I think I will just end up watching from the sidelines for now...but all kudos to the devs in keeping a steady stream of good quality updates coming...

Wiz33
07-06-17, 12:26 PM
Yes, I want to try this too...but I don't want to spend $40 to try it out and find I don't like it, and go past the Steam refund window...

I was hopeful of this going on sale in the last Steam sale, but no luck, so I am going to hang fire at the moment, as $40 is too much to gamble right now...

I doubt this will go on sale anytime soon, being so new, so I think I will just end up watching from the sidelines for now...but all kudos to the devs in keeping a steady stream of good quality updates coming...

Go watch some of "Jive Turkey"'s gameplay video on youtube. He was a sonar techs on the 688s and eventual was part of the training team teaching the new crews on the new boats. One note though. He spent a lot of time in 3D view for streaming videos as they are more attractive to viewers.

max-peck
07-06-17, 01:26 PM
Go watch some of "Jive Turkey"'s gameplay video on youtube. He was a sonar techs on the 688s and eventual was part of the training team teaching the new crews on the new boats. One note though. He spent a lot of time in 3D view for streaming videos as they are more attractive to viewers.

I would second that
Jive Turkey is certainly one of the most entertaining and interesting Cold Waters YouTubers IMO

After watching a few of his Vids playing the campaign, you should certainly get a feel as to whether or not you would enjoy the game

cj95
07-06-17, 07:48 PM

Kevin....I don't know you from Adam, but if $40 is a bit steep for you, I'd like to buy the game for you myself.

I'm just having too much fun with it and would hate to see someone want to try it out but be held back because of money.

I think Steam has a gift function we could use if you're interested.

bstanko6
07-06-17, 08:16 PM
I am an SH3 fanatic. I enjoy this game because it takes away some of the serious immersion. It's a different view of a different era in a different vehicle.

caine007
07-06-17, 08:18 PM
I found it super refreshing tbh. I never played any of the old modern sub games. (lol old modern sounds weird).

cj95
07-06-17, 08:41 PM
.....(lol old modern sounds weird).

Postmodern sub sims?

http://i.imgur.com/NOVxBWR.jpg

DetCord
07-06-17, 10:40 PM
I really tried to like this game, but I find it not to be immersive. It feels to me like you're in charge of a very sophisticated underwater drone. There's no atmosphere to the game.

I get that there's a lot of strategy, and you certainly need to be very skilled to play it at the highest level and survive, but it does nothing for me. I much prefer the cat and mouse experience of the far less sophisticated WWII U Boat encounters in the Atlantic, where I'm part of a crew fighting for survival.

I will therefore patiently await the release of UBOOT. :)

I enjoy CW for what it is, though I can agree. My biggest issue is the lack of content. I mean once you have gone through the on-rails campaigns and missions, that's it. Unfortunately, there isn't any sort of dynamic campaign to keep things interesting and to extend the gameplay. Sure you can create missions and insert them into the campaign, but once you've played them a few times, you know exactly what to do.

As for UBOOT, I wouldn't get too excited. The devs are constantly making the Bethesda Fallout Shelter comparison and if you've played that game, it turns into a repetitive, boring experience after the first 10 or so hours. They also recently stated that UBOOT isn't anywhere near the simulation level of the SH series, so there ya go. Casual.

KevinM
07-06-17, 11:33 PM
Kevin....I don't know you from Adam, but if $40 is a bit steep for you, I'd like to buy the game for you myself.

I'm just having too much fun with it and would hate to see someone want to try it out but be held back because of money.

I think Steam has a gift function we could use if you're interested.

HeeHee, you are too kind, and I am not sure if you were in a semi joking mood when you "made the offer", but honestly, money per se is not the issue...it is more about having a gaming budget every month (for both PC/PS4 and physical board games), and not "squandering" $40 that could purchase a PS4 game (for instance)...

I am leaning towards taking the plunge now, especially as I read more and more features being added, but more so now because the game must be pretty darned good if someone who doesn't know me, must be enjoying it a whole lot if they are prepared to buy me a copy!! :up: :)

So thanks for your post, and of all of the posts that have been made, your offer actually gives me the most confidence to make the purchase...so I am at work right now, but I will probably hit the "buy" button when I get home later :)

Thanks for your post/offer...

Cheers,
Kevin

Berserker
07-07-17, 12:45 AM
I am in the same boat calling it quits...I cannot get any of the mods to work after the last patch...:damn:

cj95
07-07-17, 01:10 AM
HeeHee, you are too kind, and I am not sure if you were in a semi joking mood when you "made the offer........

Cheers,
Kevin

No worries sir. I was quite serious, but I quite understand about budget vs ability.

As you said I don't know who is who around here and as far as I know you could be a 20 year old kid starting out, or a 70 year old crank on a budget.

I remember years ago just out of college I was part of a flight simming group bemoaning the fact that my sound card had just died and needing to wait a few weeks to squeeze out money for a replacement.

Well some guy I never met before up and sent me the $50 for an old sound blaster card and I never forgot it.

I don't give money to people actively asking or begging, but if I run across someone like you on the fence about something and a few unexpected bucks can make a difference....well....karma goes around right?

Julhelm
07-07-17, 04:31 AM
I mean once you have gone through the on-rails campaigns and missions, that's it. Unfortunately, there isn't any sort of dynamic campaign to keep things interesting and to extend the gameplay. Sure you can create missions and insert them into the campaign, but once you've played them a few times, you know exactly what to do.

But the campaign is not on rails - it is a dynamic campaign. Or do you mean you want a free-play mode like in SH?

TDK1044
07-07-17, 07:08 AM
I enjoy CW for what it is, though I can agree. My biggest issue is the lack of content. I mean once you have gone through the on-rails campaigns and missions, that's it. Unfortunately, there isn't any sort of dynamic campaign to keep things interesting and to extend the gameplay. Sure you can create missions and insert them into the campaign, but once you've played them a few times, you know exactly what to do.

As for UBOOT, I wouldn't get too excited. The devs are constantly making the Bethesda Fallout Shelter comparison and if you've played that game, it turns into a repetitive, boring experience after the first 10 or so hours. They also recently stated that UBOOT isn't anywhere near the simulation level of the SH series, so there ya go. Casual.

Hi DetCord, I'm following UBOOT very closely, and I'm talking with the Devs on a daily basis. As you say, it's very different to the Silent Hunter series in some regards, and the purists will think that it's too much of an arcade kind of game, but I really like what I'm seeing, and the attention to detail that's being followed. It's also very moddable, and I think that it will be better than some here are expecting. :)

TDK1044
07-07-17, 08:03 AM
As this is a Cold Waters thread, I'll just close the UBOOT component by stating that UBOOT has evolved greatly since its early days. It's a different game now, and I wouldn't read too much into those early Dev statements.

Wiz33
07-07-17, 10:11 AM
I am in the same boat calling it quits...I cannot get any of the mods to work after the last patch...:damn:

That is strange as I just installed the 2004 campaign mod running 1.05b and it's working fine. Did you by chance made any modification on your own?

Berserker
07-07-17, 10:51 AM
Not that I know of...I try to place them in the correct folder but the farther I go into the sim the more folders with the same file name can be found..Some readmes say to put a file into streamassets which after you click on it you find common the override then default then override etc its confosing to this "grumpy 70 year old man"...:hmmm:

Wiz33
07-07-17, 11:12 AM
Not that I know of...I try to place them in the correct folder but the farther I go into the sim the more folders with the same file name can be found..Some readmes say to put a file into streamassets which after you click on it you find common the override then default then override etc its confosing to this "grumpy 70 year old man"...:hmmm:

This is where the override folder should go (replace "C" with the drive letter if where you steam installation is):

C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Cold Waters\ColdWaters_Data\StreamingAssets\

At this point, If you know how to check integrity of the game file using steam. You may want to do that first. If not, it maybe better to remove the game from steam and re-download (since it's fairly small). The install the mods again. But beware that some mod may not work well with others, I've only ever use 1 mod at a time.

Berserker
07-07-17, 12:56 PM
I put the sim in the G:passport,then follow your instructions as written..Restart try the sim out no improvements such as LA class Flight II-III are not shown in campaign single mission or training.....I deleted the sim uninstalled it and all associated files reinstall and a window shows corrupted file contact steam support...Have you ever tried to contact steam support??? No phone number to call and it takes days for them to respond to and e-mail...

Wiz33
07-07-17, 01:03 PM
I put the sim in the G:passport,then follow your instructions as written..Restart try the sim out no improvements such as LA class Flight II-III are not shown in campaign single mission or training.....I deleted the sim uninstalled it and all associated files reinstall and a window shows corrupted file contact steam support...Have you ever tried to contact steam support??? No phone number to call and it takes days for them to respond to and e-mail...

Wow! Never had that happened to me. Are you by chance using a portable drive as your Steam install location? You can have steam check the file integrity of the file.

on the steam app, under "Library" tap. Right click on Cold Waters and select properties. Click on "Local Files" and select "Verify Integrity of Game Files" and see if that would fix it.

Berserker
07-07-17, 02:05 PM
Yes I put the sim on my passport..It take to much room in c: drive..Wiz33 did as instructed all files are valid...

Wiz33
07-07-17, 02:15 PM
Yes I put the sim on my passport..It take to much room in c: drive..Wiz33 did as instructed all files are valid...

So it still won't launch? Is that with or without the "override folder"? If it is with. then try moving the "override" folder to another location and try again.

Just did verify on mine and I got the "1 file would not validate" message but my game launched fine and the 2004 campaign is available. Beware that some single mission limits the class of the sun available and you will not see the new ones from the mod. I think all it means is that it could not verify the content of the "override" folder since it's not part of the original install from steam.

clayton
07-07-17, 02:55 PM
Bravo, Sir!
This is why I'm a member of this community.
No worries sir. I was quite serious, but I quite understand about budget vs ability.

As you said I don't know who is who around here and as far as I know you could be a 20 year old kid starting out, or a 70 year old crank on a budget.

I remember years ago just out of college I was part of a flight simming group bemoaning the fact that my sound card had just died and needing to wait a few weeks to squeeze out money for a replacement.

Well some guy I never met before up and sent me the $50 for an old sound blaster card and I never forgot it.

I don't give money to people actively asking or begging, but if I run across someone like you on the fence about something and a few unexpected bucks can make a difference....well....karma goes around right?

Steiger
07-07-17, 02:59 PM
I am an SH3 fanatic. I enjoy this game because it takes away some of the serious immersion. It's a different view of a different era in a different vehicle.

Same boat as you ( :03: ) for sure. I went back to SH5 from Cold Waters, and my first thought while going 2 knots underwater was "come on you ****ty old rust bucket - where's my Skipjack?"

Berserker
07-07-17, 03:58 PM
The game launches now but no new subs show..I am looking for the LA Class Flight II or III..

Wiz33
07-07-17, 04:13 PM
The game launches now but no new subs show..I am looking for the LA Class Flight II or III..

Get the 2004 campaign mod, it comes with the LA II/III and Seawolf. Remove any existing override folder and drop that one in. It's working on my 1.05b

Berserker
07-07-17, 04:52 PM
Wiz33....THANK YOU!!! You have saved my sanity (what little bit I have left)...I was going to far inside of the files and dropping all of the files in the wrong spots...The sim is up and running...THANK YOU!!!:Kaleun_Salute::Kaleun_Cheers:

Wiz33
07-07-17, 05:55 PM
Wiz33....THANK YOU!!! You have saved my sanity (what little bit I have left)...I was going to far inside of the files and dropping all of the files in the wrong spots...The sim is up and running...THANK YOU!!!:Kaleun_Salute::Kaleun_Cheers:

Glad to be of help, Happy hunting.

Paladin132
07-08-17, 11:50 AM
I'm struggling as well. I really wish I had a sim more like SH where you can look at the stations or move around the conn and sonar and such. That would be amazing. Not sure why developers always do modern sub sims this way.