PDA

View Full Version : Sonar Strength

Delgard
06-21-17, 07:41 AM
Is there a spot in the base program that shows if the Russian sonar has detected you by strength level? A meter of some sort.

I see him pinging, but is he getting a strong enough return?

gmohr
06-21-17, 07:47 AM
Signature Page, look for the sensor Comp fields. If any of them are about +10 or better, then in theory the contact can see you. They'd have to be trying though, so for example if they are 15 in the Active sensor, but aren't pinging, it doesn't matter.

Delgard
06-21-17, 07:55 AM
Thanks. I was getting overly antsy when the little yellow line was hitting on me.

xXNightEagleXx
06-21-17, 11:46 AM
The yellow lines will always hit you. It doesn't mean that they are tracking you but only that your sonar guy heard them pinging which might be still way beyond their maximum active sonar range.

As long you understand what acts on both sonar you are go to go.

Active: depth and profile exposure
Passive: depth, speed and own noises

ollie1983
06-21-17, 12:41 PM
The yellow lines will always hit you. It doesn't mean that they are tracking you but only that your sonar guy heard them pinging which might be still way beyond their maximum active sonar range.

As long you understand what acts on both sonar you are go to go.

Active: depth and profile exposure
Passive: depth, speed and own noises

Can you explain what you mean by depth/speed etc please?

Are you saying increased depth gives them better sonar 'reception'?

Wiz33
06-21-17, 12:51 PM
Don't trust the +10db. Especially for Passive. Listen to what Jive said in this video, he served as a sonar tech on a 688 for many years.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7CqCRNxIjbk

xXNightEagleXx
06-21-17, 02:30 PM
Can you explain what you mean by depth/speed etc please?

Are you saying increased depth gives them better sonar 'reception'?

First of all i was referring to the enemy detecting you (which still works in the other way around). That said, they active sonar can be reduced by how much you expose your profile and by your depth (shadow zone and bottom). Similar conceptions can be said about the passive sonar, your depth (shadow zone, and simply depth...sounds needs more energy to travel upward), your speed (the faster you go the noisier you are) and each submarine has its own default noise value.

So limiting your profile exposure will not help you to avoid their passive sonar and reducing your speed will not help you with their active sonar.

Delgard
06-21-17, 03:31 PM
There are a lot of good YouTube videos on sonar, both with CW and general sonalystic understanding in mind. I don't think CW is designed as a game and with that in mind, it requires some research, learning, understanding, and use of application to be successful at it.